Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2015, 23:35   #76

re: Two sailors rescued 150 miles off Nantucket-Sedona (Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
The Rockies would have been a bit of a challenge
Jason was saying he expected to make at least 150nm per day, so maybe he described it to the reporter as "flying" and from there the reporter made some poor assumptions
Old 16-02-2015, 23:43   #77

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Can this thread be merged with Sailing New England to Australia in February - Page 15 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 00:56   #78

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Just checked it on openCPN.... about 8500 miles GC directo...passes over southern Calfornia... maybe that is where the skipper got his distance from...150 miles a day....1050 miles a week..8 weeks....
Old 17-02-2015, 01:46   #79

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Jason was saying he expected to make at least 150nm per day, so maybe he described it to the reporter as "flying" and from there the reporter made some poor assumptions
He also said he expected to do it in 6-8 weeks.

150 x 7 x 8 = 8400 - so he obviously thought it was that distance too!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 01:59   #80

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Why start a second thread on the same story?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 05:06   #81

Re: Two sailors rescued 150 miles off Nantucket-Sedona (Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
March '04.. got the **** kicked outa me NE of Bermuda so headed back to Oriental.. broke and no where else to go where I could get my boat on the hard for a year..<clip>.. they'll have learnt a thing or 2 out there which will hold them in good stead if they/he has another go.<snip>Phil&#39;s Voyage To England | The Shipping News | TownDock.net, Oriental NC
Thank you for sharing the story. It adds perspective.
Old 17-02-2015, 05:06   #82

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
No where in the article does it say that they think it's 8600nm. It's written in the introduction and it was presumably calculated by the reporter from google earth.
Quote:
They expect the trip Down Under to take six to eight weeks to complete, depending on the weather. The original plan was to catch the tail end of the Volvo Ocean Race, the round-the-the-world race that includes a layover in Newport in mid-May, but unexpected repairs to Sedona made that impossible, Jason McGlashan said.
“If we can’t do 150 miles a day, there’s something wrong with us,” he said. “Maybe, we’re doing too much fishing off the side or something.”
Do the math.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 05:25   #83
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Two sailors rescued 150 miles off Nantucket-Sedona (Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Driver View Post
Thank you for sharing the story. It adds perspective.
You mean that I'm a nutter as well.....

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 05:47   #84

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
You mean that I'm a nutter as well.....
Far be it from me to argue with an old salt like you............

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 07:47   #85

Quote:
Damn right.. I'm a Queen & Country Tory..
Well I must say you seem to be a very butch Queen.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 10:25   #86

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
Firstly we, like many others here, are delighted to hear that the two souls on board were safely extracted from what certainly sounds like terrible conditions...and very, very grateful (on behalf of all mariners) to the USCG men and equipment involved in the rescue.

...and now, to add a bit of balance, we will note that in fact the country with by far the world's largest marine rescue 'jurisdiction' is Australia. Australia's maritime (and aviation) search & rescue zone stretches through parts of the Indian, Pacific and Southern Oceans and amounts to 52.8 million square kilometres, or roughly 12% of the Earth’s surface. Whilst there may very likely be more traffic per square kilometer in the North Atlantic, the USCG men and equipment are supported by 310million citizens. By comparison, Australia's massive rescue zone is carried on the backs of only 22million Aussies...and, being both mariners and Aussies, we are always supportive of their efforts and their demands on the OZ budget.

D and D,
I hope you didn't misconstrue my remarks. Firstly, my comments have nothing to do with the fact that the sailors were Aussies. In my 25 plus years of cruising, we have never met an Aussie we didn't like and have great respect for them as sailors. However, this is not about nationality, but rather competence before taking to sea. One clearly doesn't contemplate 8K plus miles offshore with a new untested vessel(Ebay)with only coastal and daysailing experience, whether from the US or Australia, ending with a dangerous and expensive Coast Guard rescue. It has nothing to do with CG training and using available resources but rather to do with an unnecessary expense to the American taxpayer and a danger to the lives of our brave Coasties. It represents the pinnacle of absurdity that has been fostered by generations of people with the selfish mindset: "I want it and I want it now!" whether they are competent or not to undertake the venture. I am not in favor of any government regulation that restricts real personal freedoms but as incidents like this increase, so will the heavy hand of Big Government. In my opinion, incidents as these appear to be increasing exponentially as generations of "Me People" approach "must do" items on their bucket list with no regards for competence, reality or others. The beat goes on . . .
Old 17-02-2015, 19:38   #87

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
D and D,
I hope you didn't misconstrue my remarks. Firstly, my comments have nothing to do with the fact that the sailors were Aussies. In my 25 plus years of cruising, we have never met an Aussie we didn't like and have great respect for them as sailors. However, this is not about nationality, but rather competence before taking to sea. One clearly doesn't contemplate 8K plus miles offshore with a new untested vessel(Ebay)with only coastal and daysailing experience, whether from the US or Australia, ending with a dangerous and expensive Coast Guard rescue. It has nothing to do with CG training and using available resources but rather to do with an unnecessary expense to the American taxpayer and a danger to the lives of our brave Coasties. It represents the pinnacle of absurdity that has been fostered by generations of people with the selfish mindset: "I want it and I want it now!" whether they are competent or not to undertake the venture. I am not in favor of any government regulation that restricts real personal freedoms but as incidents like this increase, so will the heavy hand of Big Government. In my opinion, incidents as these appear to be increasing exponentially as generations of "Me People" approach "must do" items on their bucket list with no regards for competence, reality or others. The beat goes on . . .
As an Aussie, I agree with you. It's incidents like this that will lead big brother to bring in formal inspections and therefore fees before people are permitted to head to sea, or to leave territorial waters.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 19:54   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
As an Aussie, I agree with you. It's incidents like this that will lead big brother to bring in formal inspections and therefore fees before people are permitted to head to sea, or to leave territorial waters.
Thats what happened in NZ....foreign flag yachts departing NZ had to comply with NZ Cat 1 safety regs. Went to court, NZ lost.
Armada de Chile can, if they so desire, do a safety inspection prior to issuing a Zarpe/port clearance even for coastwise sailing. If they aren't happy with you, your boat, or your plans then no zarpe... no sailee...
And if you decide to go anyway then they will go and bring you back...
Only seen it done a few times, once with a motor boat planning to go to Antarctica..

Has anyone else seen this? 1994 44 039 Carrol Marine 43 Nelson Marek | eBay
I think 'project boat' would have been a bit of a hint....
Old 17-02-2015, 20:00   #89

Some years ago a pommie punter decided to leave from Bluff, NZ, in attempt to row around the world. After his 3rd rescue 'they' decided to confiscate his boat.
When asked if that was legal 'they' said 'Probably not ....but its the only way we can stop this dill (paraphrasing a bit here ) .. and we don't think he has the money to fight it in court....'
Old 17-02-2015, 20:08   #90

Good to see my memory banks aren't totally stuffed
Rescued rower rolled 15 times in storm - www.smh.com.au

and
Rescuers claim ownership of ocean rower's boat - National - NZ Herald News

Tags
nantucket, rescue, sail