Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2012, 05:35   #16
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Update on "Cap'n" Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
I spoke to Jay a few times last week by phone. During the first call he expressed his desire to get the boat towed to a protected anchorage near Bay Pines VA in Maderia Beach. He said that the professionals that had towed the boat earlier would not help him. I again encouraged him to instead have the boat towed to Salt Creek and get it pulled out of the water. I explained that regardless of whether he keeps the boat or tries to trade it for a RV or just scraps it out, it will need to be hauled out. Jay agreed with me.
In the last conversation I had with him he told me that he was going to call the boat yard and make arrangements. That was Thursday afternoon.
The deadline for removing the boat from the waters of Gulfport was Wed. so he obviously didn't make it.
I do believe that he is trying to do the right thing and is simply overwhelmed at this time.
I'm not sure if the boat is still in the bay today. I think it is.
I know that we anchored it as securely as we could given the tackle that I had, but I sure hope it can be secured or hauled out somewhere else before Issac hits or passes. I doubt however that will happen. I guess we'll find out how good a job we did securing it.

At this point, I really don't understand why the local marine patrol doesn't just tow it into the marina and secure it to the seawall to assure that it won't end up back on the beach or tearing out someone's dock.
Actually, I do understand. It's all about liability and red tape and fear of litigation.
It's kinda sad.
If I had the means to tow it and a place to put it where it wouldn't be able to damage property, I would just do it and damn the consequences.
There's a chance that Jay would sue me but I would do it anyway. Simply because it needs to be done.

If I hear more I will pass it on.

Bay Pines has a lot of derelect or near-derelict boats in it. He will likely immediately run into trouble if he takes his boat there because St. Petersburg has started taking a hard line on boats in that anchorage.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 12:47   #17

Boat: Nor Sea 27'
Re: Update on "Cap'n" Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Bay Pines has a lot of derelect or near-derelict boats in it. He will likely immediately run into trouble if he takes his boat there because St. Petersburg has started taking a hard line on boats in that anchorage.

I believe that he has given up on that idea. The last conversation I had with him, he said that he was going to call the boat yard and make arrangements to have it hauled.

Quote:
Anyone know if Jay's boat is surviving Isaac?
Isaac really did not have much of an impact around here. It's been breezy but that's about it.
As far as I know, the boat is still anchored where we left it.