Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2013, 06:44   #76

Boat: Nothing large at the moment
Re: Using a Delivery Skipper / Crew - Tips & Advice (and Horror Stories!)

Not sure how I missed this thread but my perspective is a bit different. Living in the Bahamas and doing most deliveries along then East coast I get a real mix of offshore and coastal deliveries. As it works out I prefer sail boats and long range trawlers offshore and smaller powerboats inshore. The offshore deliveries are always more relaxed while the inshore deliveries require constant attention to navigation and weekend warrior dodging! Unlike some who have posted here I enjoy teaching and do not mind having an owner and his party aboard, with some exceptions. I will not work for smokers. I do not mind working on the boats prior to setting off, however I do charge a different rate. My normal day rate is $250/day. This includes normal maintenance. If I really have to turn mechanic or rigger the rate goes to $50/hr. This is for major projects such as shroud replacement, engine alignment, transmission or cooler replacement. I am comfortable with this as I have run major yards and service departments as well as been project manager on several new construction projects. I have made several life long friendships through my work.
Joe
500 Ton Aux Sail
Since 1978
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 17:53   #77

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jeffry View Post
David- First, you are a delivery skipper's dream owner. Your letter was amazing and I'm sure Dave is quite stoked to get such a letter!
Lots of West Coast delivery work is less than 500 nm. Also, lots of skippers pumped out each year, 12-18 a year, right here in my home port of Marina Del Rey. How some of them got a tonnage license is a mystery. Thankfully I'm pretty busy mainly with lots of word of mouth. Sadly, many Captains in these parts are not what I call competent sailors in anything close to what I call crisis sailing. Winds/seas are moderate in SoCal and lots of 4 hour days over 35GRT was on fishing boats or buddies boats...Big dent in long distant deliveries due to Dock Wise or simlar.
Agree with you there Jeffry - its always a huge boost to get a nice letter! Your point about Dockwise is well made: I saw a quote from them that I couldn't match the other day. I did get the job however as, when the delivery to the loading port, the actual loading, then unloading at the other end plus short delivery to desired end port made my quote competitive. Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 11:33   #78
Marine Service Provider

I'm in a jam and need a delivery captain to bring my 39' Catamaran from Atlantic City to NYC ASAP. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Saltfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 12:03   #79
Marine Service Provider

I just sent you a PM.....
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 13:10   #80
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Using a Delivery Skipper / Crew - Tips & Advice (and Horror Stories!)

Just stumbled across this thread... everything worked fine for me till 2012.. old boats in dodgey nick... newish boats that were a dream... happy owners and tho' I was only charging 1 euro/seamile (avg 7500 euro/year) it was enough to feed me so I was happy.
80% were/are CF members...
Then I took on a dream job that turned into a nightmare... should have walked away half a dozen times but did not... the whole thing ended up in the hands of lawyers... CocksMcnish Rock ... and I ended the year out a few grand
Anyway... I'm a laid back kinda skipper who's happy with a dinghy if no liferaft.. carry my own VHF/Nav equipment and only ask for honesty from an owner... and deals work both ways... don't try screwing me over and I'll offer every assistance in my power and get the boat there in as good a condition as some and better than others.
However after my OZ experience and this year I've made a couple of changes... no more negotiating over the fee...
I'm one of the cheapest out here and take on boats most walk away from so if your gonna try and haggle me down and then treat me like **** coz I felt sorry for you and dropped the price... be prepared for the consequence's... no more Mr Nice guy.
You have a boat you want moved but don't want to pay the asking price to sail her there... DIYFS.. sorry but that's how its is...
Everyone starts this game a nice guy... but sooner or later the ******** grind you down.
You'll notice I'm not as tactful as Tony... but he's 'upper deck' whereas I'm a fcsle lower decker seaman....
Don't like my attitude... no sweat... go elsewhere and pay the extra for a nice one....

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 14:36   #81

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Being licensed is not a panacea when it comes to insurance claims and liability in my experience. I was anchored in Montague Harbor in the Gulf Islands years ago and had been there driving an old 55 foot Chrissy for the owner and his wife. We had the hook down for a couple of days while they did a little trolling in their dinghy. About 2:00 am an large power boat drifted down on us after they had set their anchor sometime after sunset. While the damage was minimal, the other owner was an attorney with the predictable result we ended up in court. The judge was very clear that he held me as a licensed mariner to a higher standard than a weekend wonder who was driving the other boat. Because I had kept a log and was able to verify our anchored lat/long position in the bay over two days and entered it in the log, the other party was found 100% at fault but the judge was very clear on the issue of fault had we not had the recorded data to defend our position. The owners of the Chris Craft remained friends of mine for many years and engaged me on a number of cruises from Vancouver to the Queen Charlottes and back over the years.
On another delivery from Mazatlan to San Diego, I stopped to pick up a crew member in Cabo San Lucas who came highly recommended with excellent references that I checked out, however he was new to me. Everything went fine until we passed Mag Bay headed north. I was asleep but awoken to screaming and yelling on deck which got me up in a hurry. The new crew member was literally howling at the moon at this point so I relieved him from his watch and sent him below putting the second crew member on the wheel. After a few moments the screaming began anew from the forward cabin. We ended up tying up the poor guy who turned out to be a schitzophrenic (bi polar?) who had gone off his meds and didn't bring any with him! Not the sort of normal situation you deal with off shore! Returned to Cabo and got him medical care, flew in another crew and left a couple of days later.
You just never know what you are going to have to deal with out there!! Retired for a fair number of years now but those two experiences stick in my mind when i was in he game. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 14:54   #82
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Don't like my attitude... no sweat... go elsewhere and pay the extra for a nice one....[/SIZE][/FONT]
But at least yer not bitter .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 15:13   #83
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Using a Delivery Skipper / Crew - Tips & Advice (and Horror Stories!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
But at least yer not bitter .
Well... if you've seen my FB page you'll have seen my 'Day Job'...
With beaches like these who needs bitter

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, delivery, skipper