Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2019, 01:52   #91

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more
Re: Very small water-maker oder Big one for very fast refilling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Ran across this. Anyone know about them or have one they have used. Price is way lower than anything else;$US1695.

SeaWaterpro, been mentioned many times in the various watermaker threads. The cheapest option uses cheaper parts (karcher pump), but they have added better options, still at great prices.

Around USD 2200 to 2400 gets you their 'better' model which is probably enough for many people. Around USD 3000 gets you most of the extra bells and whistles if needed.

As I understand it they don't use anything proprietary, which is also a good reminder that in a lot of cases you are paying for a huge markup, running the company, warranty costs, development, etc, etc when buying from some other companies (nothing against this, companies need to make a profit, but it's not helpful for the budget conscious).

The basic parts themselves are not excessively expensive and anyone can piece together something 'that works' if budget is the first priority.

It might not be the quietest or most efficient but that $2000, or $4000, or $8000, or $10,000 price difference might go quite some way towards making up for that... Or would buy more batteries, more solar, a Honda, or maybe just diesel, etc...

@Mike OReilly
This could definitely be an option for you too. It can also very modular for install purposes.

https://seawaterpro.com/

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 05:12   #92

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Indeed. It's convenient to have AC power available on board and once you are set up with it then you can use different AC powered devices. It's rarely a case of installing an inverter just to power a single device, whether it's a watermaker or anything else…..
On our smallish sailboat we have a small inverter which saw use once last season. We don’t have a lot of labour-saving appliances on our boat because we don’t need them. What we do use is mostly direct DC.

But I fully admit our boat is not the norm … at least not compared to typical CFer’s boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
...@Mike OReilly
This could definitely be an option for you too. It can also very modular for install purposes.
Thanks jmh. I think you’re right. I’ve started to study the DIY plans and videos out there. Looks doable, and a lot cheaper than a commercial option. If my want for a WM ever rises to a need I’ll probably have to go this route — unless I can find a quality used DC model.
Old 14-10-2019, 06:42   #93
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Hi Nick,
I hear what your saying and Rich did try to talk me out of going with the DC motor when I ordered his water maker.

Here is my reasonings for the Tropics and Asian Harbours

1. I have 1040 Ah house bank @24v

2. 1673 watts solar peaking @ 57 amps @ 24v

3. The induction stove runs fine off my 3000W inverter, but not both and I don't want to piss off the cook [emoji26] So the Galley gets Inverter priority

4. In Asia, Raw sewage generally flows into populated harbours, so I won't make water there if we're stuck for a few days and local shore water may not be safe. Like my experience with Superyschts. ....Water Makeup is underway.

5. My 10kw Gen, is mounted high and tight on Stbd side, with not that deep an oil sump, so I am wary of running it underway if heeled much. With my Solar capacity, the Gen is a backup now and used only for Air Cons if needed, or rainy season.

6. My boat needs 12-15 knots of usable wind to get over 5 knots, so I do motor sail a lot at low rpm with a Mark Grainger Alternator putting out 70 amps/24V at idle

IF I lost the Gen, with an AC driven motor, it would put pressure on the invertor and the cook. My DC solution avoids that.

Lastly, I'm considering a 2nd Multiplus in parallel at which time, switching to an AC pump motor is not a big deal
Our use is very different... we do use it in anchorages most of the time and I can only remember once that we had to run it before arrival because of bad water quality at the destination (Cartagena, Colombia). Also, we run the genset while underway without trouble. We do cook at the same time we’re making water, but with the genset going, got all the power we need.

In your situation it makes sense but I would still install a second Multiplus and instead of parallel operation (too many conditions to make it work) I would run it independently
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 22:23   #94
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
In your situation it makes sense but I would still install a second Multiplus and instead of parallel operation (too many conditions to make it work) I would run it independently
Hi Nick
You happened to bring up the parallel warning about the 2nd Multiplus which is an issue that's kept me from deciding.

I bought my original Victron Multiplus 24/3000/70 in 2007 and still have my Victron Skylla 24/50 charger as backup.

Back then, because of problems I saw here in Subic with Chinese Diesel Duck boats having shore power wiring manage problems with the same Multiplus in parallel, ........I went conservative with just One Multiplus off the Main AC board lockout Switch.

is: Shore>Isolation Transformer> Main Board with lockout switches to power charger and receive Inverted power from Victron

11 years later, I think they are phasing out my original model, so what would you recommend and would you consider I change this to power management or still run both via the 30 amp Inverter switch on Main Board? (I could up breaker to 60 amp as wiring is sized for 60 Amps)

The big AC loads are the Dive Compressor and the 3 Air Cons.
Haven't tried using Induction stove while the Gen is handling those, so perhaps share loading with Gen is an advantage.....(we are rarely dockside now and definitely not filling tanks)

For AC chargers, I already have the 70 + 50 units.....
Any advantage on going with a 2nd Inverter rather than a Multi??

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191018_124009.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	201681
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 01:36   #95

Ibetitsthatway, I see you're from Germany. Bugger the watermaker take your beer brewing kit!
Fransw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 10:50   #96

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hi Nick
You happened to bring up the parallel warning about the 2nd Multiplus which is an issue that's kept me from deciding.

I bought my original Victron Multiplus 24/3000/70 in 2007 and still have my Victron Skylla 24/50 charger as backup.

Back then, because of problems I saw here in Subic with Chinese Diesel Duck boats having shore power wiring manage problems with the same Multiplus in parallel, ........I went conservative with just One Multiplus off the Main AC board lockout Switch.

is: Shore>Isolation Transformer> Main Board with lockout switches to power charger and receive Inverted power from Victron

11 years later, I think they are phasing out my original model, so what would you recommend and would you consider I change this to power management or still run both via the 30 amp Inverter switch on Main Board? (I could up breaker to 60 amp as wiring is sized for 60 Amps)

The big AC loads are the Dive Compressor and the 3 Air Cons.
Haven't tried using Induction stove while the Gen is handling those, so perhaps share loading with Gen is an advantage.....(we are rarely dockside now and definitely not filling tanks)

For AC chargers, I already have the 70 + 50 units.....
Any advantage on going with a 2nd Inverter rather than a Multi??

Attachment 201681
For parallel operation, both units must’ve the same hardware revision with the same firmware version. Impossible for most. Boats who have this must replace two units when one goes bad.

Did you see the electrical diagrams I posted a while back? If not, I’ll repost but need to get to my laptop for that
Old 18-10-2019, 14:26   #97
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
For parallel operation, both units must’ve the same hardware revision with the same firmware version. Impossible for most. Boats who have this must replace two units when one goes bad.

Did you see the electrical diagrams I posted a while back? If not, I’ll repost but need to get to my laptop for that
Did not see that wiring diagram.....thanks for reposting
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 12:06   #98

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I think the forum crashed when I tried to upload.. trying again...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jedi AC input.pdf (275.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: pdf Jedi AC distribution.pdf (342.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 21-10-2019, 12:28   #99

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Now here’s the trick: when you switch both inverter/chargers on and select #1 in the distribution panel then #2 is still charging batteries. Also, if one is switched off on the input panel, then it starts inverting and can be chosen as source in the distribution panel. This becomes crucial when a 50Hz boat is in 60Hz land or the other way around... you use inverter power and shore power just for charging the batteries (feeding the other inverter directly is what actually happens).

Then last but not least: this is the simple version. In the distribution schematic you can make multiple load groups, each with their own source select switch. You can make one group just for the watermaker and feed it from “it’s own” inverter while other groups use the other inverter,or genset or shore power. You can also make a separate load group for 60Hz outlets in a 50Hz boat etc.

One big part of this is the use of Victron Multiplus or Quattro units. Buy the EU versions 230V/50Hz. A 60Hz boat (like Jedi) reprograms them for 240V/60Hz and use the auto transformer to create a new Neutral for 120V service. The programming is one of the great features of the Victron units.

Tags
grass, water