Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2014, 16:09   #31

Re: We Need Help with an Aries Wind Vane

Something to remember is to always use roller bearing blocks for your steering lines. It would not cause (or cure) the slamming, but when working properly, the roller blocks will help to make the vane more sensitive. Another 2 cents worth. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 13:52   #32

I think dyneema with a poly cover would be an excellent choice for the lines. Excellent chafe resistance and no stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
sully75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 06:33   #33

Boat: no boat any more

...just a thought: with the windvane hard over on a moving boat OF COURSE the paddle would go to one side...
(in general: if everything is assembled correctly & it's not steering the boat in 15kn on a beam reach - then the problem is the user)
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 23:55   #34

Boat: Payne 41

Dulls, I've just watched your video and Elton said he wouldn't go back on if you begged him.

I have just bought a yacht with the same Aries Mk 5 and I haven't used it yet but I think I'm going to have problems with it as it appears that the wind vane seems to swing well one way but is limited to how far back it will go on the other side.

I noticed on your video that you showed what appeared to be extracts from the manual. I didn't get a manual. Do you still have a copy? My boat is in Southport and I'm bringing it to NSW between Christmas & New Year. Fortunately I have a Coursemaster self steerer as well.

Cheers
Kempaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:08   #35

Boat: Freya double ender 40 ft

It will be that it is assembled wrong. The c ogs are maybe be one over more then they should be. Aries Lift Up Vane Gear Technical Illustration Shows assembly and look at your steering rod. Is it correctly placed? We bought an aries no 5 of a guy who had the same problem. We stripped it down and reassembled as per the instructions. Look at cog position very carefully as well as steering link rod. If you follow that it will work perfectly!
Old 01-07-2020, 11:57   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I have an Aries Lift Up model number 5. I just mounted the used vane this spring and before I even had the chance to use it, my crew managed to dislodge it while sailing, the retaining chain broke and the connecting rod between the vane holder and the main servo gear went for a swim without a flotation device.

I am docked near Amsterdam and went to meet the Dutch owner of Aries, who is a very nice and friendly Dutchman. He has remanufactured the connecting rod in Delrin and carbon fiber, but he can't make the spring clips that hold the connecting rod to the 1/2 stainless steel balls on the vane bracket and the main servo gear.

He wants to produce the connecting rods for owners who have broken their ends or lost/broken the rod. He doesn't know the source for the manufacturer of the connecting rods in the UK or who made the spring clips that hold the rod to the balls.

I am looking for 2-4 of spring clips in 20.5mm ID and 13/16" inches tall, the opening gap should be about 1/8 of an inch with flared ends to facilitate snapping over the balls. I have photos of the parts I have and drawings of the spring clips I need. Mr. Nelis of Aries would buy at least 100 of these clips.

Is there anyone out there who might know the original source of the rods or the spring clips or know a kind hearted manufacturer would would make a quantity of less than 500,000?

Thanks,
SV Skylark

George DuBose

Is
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 23:47   #37

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

To anyone with a seized Aries: Do NOT attempt to unfreeze the big stainless pin with a sledge hammer! A very good way to crack the alloy main assembly. Do not use a sledge hammer on any part. Take it to a machine shop with a press, or improvise a press, and carefully press out the pin after soaking it in a light oil for a while. Cut a piece of timber to fit snugly inside the frame next to the pin and you won’t crack the frame as you push out the pin.
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 01:46   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just so all you Aries fans know, the part #295 for the Aries Lift Up model #5 is back in production. Lean Nelis now makes the connecting rods from carbon fiber with Delrin ends. The bugaboo was finding the omega spring clips to hold the rod to the vane holder and the main servo gear.

We found a man with considerable 3D printing experience and he was able to produce the spring clips that we needed.
Old 22-11-2020, 19:22   #39
djs

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
Just so all you Aries fans know, the part #295 for the Aries Lift Up model #5 is back in production. Lean Nelis now makes the connecting rods from carbon fiber with Delrin ends. The bugaboo was finding the omega spring clips to hold the rod to the vane holder and the main servo gear.

We found a man with considerable 3D printing experience and he was able to produce the spring clips that we needed.
Hi George
Do you have contact details for this Aries supplier?
Thanks
Dave
djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 22:15   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Lean Nelis is the owner of the Aries Vane Gear Company.

His telephone number is +31643080103

His address is:
Aries Vane Gear
Zamenhofstraat 118
1022 AG Amsterdam
The Netherlands

His email address is:
Lean Nelis <info@ariesvanegear.com>

Lean is a great guy. He is a one-man shop, so if he is running a lathe or other machinery in the back of his shop, he can't hear the phone ring.

I find that he responds best to SMS or text messages and he will get back to you eventually.
Old 15-12-2020, 03:04   #41

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

In my many years of cruising and working on boats, I’ve seen a lot of really shocking attempts to “fix” things by yachties who had absolutely no idea of basic mechanics. Then to make matters worse, they blame the piece of equipment they’ve butchered as being badly designed.
End of rant....
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 13:46   #42

Hello,

Thank you for that YouTube video. I just disassembled my lift up for a rebuild and am now looking for the push rod and bevel gears. I think I’ve read that Lean at the Aries manufacturing site may be making them.
Dboboc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aries, aries wind vane