Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2016, 06:39   #1
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington
Weather by ftp email

I am preparing to do the World Arc in a few weeks. I am boning up on trying to get weather info via ftp email using saildocs and/or ftp email.
I have an ICOM 802, pactor modem, iridium satellite phone with unlimited data to work with.
So far I have had varied results. Some NOAA type web sites even list what appears to be the wrong address to request info from NWS.
It is confusing enough to me that I plan to save email request that work so I can pull them back up as needed and copy to make sure there are no mistakes in them.
I know there are services that are easier but I want to try to learn and use what NOAA has for public use.
Are there any good sources of info?
Anyone have good experience?
Open for any help
RDW
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 10:07   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: weather by ftp email

Have you tried using the catalog in Airmail? That is a straight forward way to get 100's of weather products.
Old 14-12-2016, 11:44   #3

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

As said, Airmail catalog has lots of weather reports, and you can subscibe to them so they come somewhat automatically. You can also easily request gribs.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 14:30   #4
RDW

If you have time tell me how to get surface and 500 mb charts using the catalog in airmail.
RDW
Old 14-12-2016, 15:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDW View Post
If you have time tell me how to get surface and 500 mb charts using the catalog in airmail.
RDW
NOAA has an ftp server for these, as you already know. I do not believe the other world creators of wefax offer them from an FTP server. If I really want a chart like these while offshore then I use my ssb/pactor and pick it up analog.
In practice I never use 500mb charts, just don't have the expertise to interpret them better than the available professional products.
In the S. Pacific the fleet codes from Nadi, Fiji are easy to pick up digitally and makevfor a good overview forecast chart.
Offshore picking up GRIBs handles most of our needs.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 19:28   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Weather by ftp email

I wouldn't bother with using the FTP server. You can get the same weather charts from saildocs.com. They are more highly compressed, so they are about half the size as the ones you get from NOAA fia FTP. They are still generally quite readable. Here's an example:

send email to "query@saildocs.com" (any title is OK, including none).
In the body, put "send [filename]" (no brackets)

That's it. Here's an example:

To get the most current Northeast Pacific wave analysis chart, plus the current 500mb pressure chart, the body should read (two lines):
"send PWBA90.TIF"
"send PPBA10.TIF"

(don't include the quotes)

You can find the chart filenames starting on page 66 of the "rfax.pdf" document from the NOAA: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/marine/rfax.pdf

You should test this before heading out to make sure you have the proper filenames, and you are happy with how they look. I have seen some that were compressed too much for good readability, but most are just fine.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 04:51   #7
RDW

To Paul and all
thank you very much.
The information is most helpful.
I plan to test each attempt and save each that works so I so not make a typo type mistake.
RDW
Old 15-12-2016, 10:22   #8

Paul E
It really is too bad that the other producers of WeFax charts don't have them on a server like NOAA. NOAA is naturally North America focused.
Old 15-12-2016, 10:39   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Paul E
It really is too bad that the other producers of WeFax charts don't have them on a server like NOAA. NOAA is naturally North America focused.
Yes. Fortunately, I generally sail in U.S. waters, but the few times I've been in the south pacific getting the detailed WX products was a bit more difficult.

About the NOAA WFAX-type charts via saildocs.com, these graphic images are significantly larger than the similar-coverage GRIBs. You may not be able to download them via SSB Sailmail. Ham-based Winlink radio email doesn't have the strict filesize limits, but to be courteous you shouldn't be an airtime-hog. Of course, the WFAX-style charts are also available via old-fashioned radio FAX.

I generally use Iridium satphone to get the larger emailed charts and GRIBs, and keep sailmail and winlink as a backup. Of course not everyone has or wants to use a satphone.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
email, weather