Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2019, 14:04   #1

Boat: Endeavour 37'
Weather / Sea conditions on Bahamas banks

I will be crossing over to The Bahamas for the first time this coming March on my 37ft sailboat. The plan is to cross to Gun Key, West Bay, to Highborn. I'm wondering what the general "sea state" is while on the banks during normal winter weather? My wife does not tolerate rough seas well; so I'm wondering if I want to bring her along for the passage across to the Exumas, or just have her fly in. We are both fairly new sailors, and this will be my first time sailing outside of Florida. Long period swell is not an issue for her; but beating into 4 foot chop is going to have her vomiting all over and wanting to kill me. So, tell a newbie what to expect on the banks during "normal conditions" (east wind 15kts, no significant weather phenomina). Thanks!
aaronroesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 14:46   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Weather / Sea conditions on Bahamas banks

You can use a weather router such as Chris Parker to help plan departure and sea state.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 15:02   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Weather / Sea conditions on Bahamas banks

Once on the banks it calms down a lot, if there is an issue it’s getting to the banks.
15 kts is every day occurrence, usually pretty much flat seas, maybe a couple of feet?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 15:33   #4

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

I have no practical idea, but you kinda alluded to it. If she has a terrible time, there might not be another time.. That would be my biggest concern in the long run. Might be best to get a feel for it, and take another mate for the crossing, if possible. Being prolonged seasick is a terrible imprint.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 15:40   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

If you dilly dally after crossing (staying in Bimini ) instead of heading east you might have a bumpy Bank trip. If the front you cross on is a fairly quick one the wind will go back to the east. Anything over 10 knots will make for a short choppy sea on the nose. It will worsen when you get into the Tongue of the Ocean as the wind increases.

Weather forecasts are pretty good these days. You can get fairly reliable wind info for the 25 hours ( 6 kts ) it takes to get to West Bay from Miami. Make sure the front you leave on is slow enough so you get to NP with favourable winds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Once on the banks it calms down a lot, if there is an issue it’s getting to the banks.
15 kts is every day occurrence, usually pretty much flat seas, maybe a couple of feet?
Old 07-11-2019, 15:47   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

If you intend sailing direct to West Bay getting on the Bank at North Rock is a better route than the Gun Cay route.
Old 07-11-2019, 16:11   #7

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

March is a ways off - why don't you go for a day sail and see how she tolerates it. The going advice is avoid any wind with a northerly component as it drives up a chop against the stream. Keep an eye on NOAA's products and whatever other sites you like to use and going on a day that seems right for a crossing. Once you're out 15-20 miles, you're well within the stream and seeing (and feeling) the conditions you can expect crossing.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:58   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

My "admiral" doesn't even like to go out of sight of land. She flies to the boat. Sometimes the boat just stays in a marina at my destination and we just go to the beach. She doesn't get seasick and is superb at the helm. Just can't get her excited about offshore sailing.

When I make my next ocean crossing, it will be with my sons and maybe she will come along not to be left alone at home. Hopefully.

I don't/can't push her.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:01   #9
TBW

Boat: LeBlanc trawler; 50 ft

Fly.
may get off the boat and never get back on
big risk, no reward
TBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:18   #10

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

The weather when you cross will be whatever you want it to be. Problem is waiting for it to show up. If you want to cross with light winds and flat seas, get your boat ready and wait for those weather conditions. You'll get it at some point, but it's impossible to predict when, or how long it will last. Really, to get to Highbourne from South Florida is going to take you two days. In March you should be able to get more frequent weather windows than you will in January.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 19:18   #11

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

You r wise to pay close attention to your wife’s fear of seasickness. Even the most seasoned sailors can suffer from this malady under certain sea states.

If it were me... I’d fly her there and back and just keep it as under control as possible. But you could get caught with a passing front and be at anchor in a rolly anchorage... blowing like stink and raining for days. How would she handle that situation? Feel for Ya.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:33   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
You r wise to pay close attention to your wife’s fear of seasickness. Even the most seasoned sailors can suffer from this malady under certain sea states.

If it were me... I’d fly her there and back and just keep it as under control as possible. But you could get caught with a passing front and be at anchor in a rolly anchorage... blowing like stink and raining for days. How would she handle that situation? Feel for Ya.
Easy! Spend the day at the Conch Inn & Conk Out Bar.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:42   #13

Is the underlying issue sea sickness?- Not bumpy ride. If so after 50 years or so my wife has pretty much tried anything remotely related to sea sickness. She has probably had the best results with Sturgeron. Available in the US by prescription or over the counter in Bahamas.
John2funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:54   #14

March is great in the Bahamas in my experience. By end April there are tons of jellyfish in the waters. The banks should be pretty flat really. Even if blowing a bit it seems to stay at 3 ft or less a lot. More likely crossing the Gulf Stream she may not like. If you wait for wind to clock south and then west before returning to NE you can have a good motoring ride across the Gulf Stream. But you can wait 2-3 weeks for that.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, weather