Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 21:56   #31

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753
Re: Well, I Made it . . .

Unless your frig is really different than what's in our Gemini it is 110 and 12 volt and propane and all 3 use all use a 12 volt fan for moving the gas exhaust and heat behind the frig. It's like a motorhome frig and parts could be got from an RV place.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:43   #32

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin View Post
Unless your frig is really different than what's in our Gemini it is 110 and 12 volt and propane and all 3 use all use a 12 volt fan for moving the gas exhaust and heat behind the frig. It's like a motorhome frig and parts could be got from an RV place.
Its the same fridge as yours. but I only use the propane side of it, and the fan is above where the water came in, I think.

I am not sure if it uses 12 volt, but it does use shore power when connected if you switch it over.

Must look into the 12 volt side of it.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:13   #33
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
170 knot winds - Wow, that is a lot of wind even for Forster.
What was the name of the bar?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
The bloke I was talking too, grew up on an island a long way off the east coast of new Zealand. Southern ocean all around, He has been on his boat travelling for the last 4 years. Single handed, Been sailing all his life. 64 years old.
He was telling me about his anchor as I did not trust mine, He had a Rocna. and I wanted to know all about it.
First hand knowledge is better than hearsay or a mates mate told me,
He was parked in the Forster inlet, and his boat didnt move on anchor, even tho it was swinging backwards and forwards on that very quick tide that hammers threw there.
I didnt ask him where the 170 knot wind was that he encountered, It was in a very bad cyclone some where.
My error, I misunderstood your post and came to an incorrect conclusion - my apologies.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:20   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
My error, I misunderstood your post and came to an incorrect conclusion - my apologies.
No Probs, Some times you lose track in the printed word. The gist of it can be misconstrued.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:19   #35

The Foster Tuncurry Bar is a beauty The rivers back up the later into the big lake so the bar continues to run out for close to 2 hours after the tide changes on the beach. But if there has been a lot of rain !! I saw the brown water running out for over a week half way up the rock wall. Timing you entry or exit so that both tides and the boat is travelling in the same direction is the key. Time it wrong especially with a strong NE blow and it is a bitch. I have seen it go from near dead flat to 5 meter confused waves in 15 minuets. It all ways amused me to see tourists go out over the bar when the pro boats were tied up.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:43   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... First hand knowledge is better than hearsay or a mates mate told me ...
FWIW: Your acquaintance (claims to have) had first hand knowledge.
You got second hand hearsay, from him.
As presented here, we're getting third hand hearsay, from you.

Here's hoping you're soon repaired, and sailing again.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:50   #37
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaiting View Post
The Foster Tuncurry Bar is a beauty The rivers back up the later into the big lake so the bar continues to run out for close to 2 hours after the tide changes on the beach. But if there has been a lot of rain !! I saw the brown water running out for over a week half way up the rock wall. Timing you entry or exit so that both tides and the boat is travelling in the same direction is the key. Time it wrong especially with a strong NE blow and it is a bitch. I have seen it go from near dead flat to 5 meter confused waves in 15 minuets. It all ways amused me to see tourists go out over the bar when the pro boats were tied up.
Here was I thinking about the local bar (I dunno, say the Bellevue) where tales abound of 170 Kts just being local stiff sailing breeze once the beer starts flowing but as I said, I just got it all mixed up
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:02   #38

Quote:
Its the same fridge as yours. but I only use the propane side of it, and the fan is above where the water came in, I think.

I am not sure if it uses 12 volt, but it does use shore power when connected if you switch it over.

Must look into the 12 volt side of it.
I hope you have Good luck getting it to a lift and fixed up and home. I feel really bummed about this sence I have been chatting with you sence you started looking at the boat.
Old 07-12-2011, 14:51   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin View Post
I hope you have Good luck getting it to a lift and fixed up and home. I feel really bummed about this sence I have been chatting with you sence you started looking at the boat.
Thanks for that,
It has upset me a great deal as It is a beautifull boat and one that I never felt unsafe in, no matter what the conditions were, and I came through some horrendous seas getting it here.
Even twice when I thought I was gone, The boat was still safe under me.

Its an incredible little boat. I will fix it when they get it here, Even if I have to fight the insurance Company for it.

They were supposed to bring it in last night on the high tide, But I am hoping they will bring it in today as the tide is higher,
They might be having trouble getting it off the beach.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:19   #40

Good luck and have a nice day
Old 10-12-2011, 13:15   #41

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
My heater is only off the motor, no electrics in it, But it does keep hot for a day or so, 10 minutes on the motor and I have very hot water, Its a good one.

Damn wind here is still strong, so they wont bring the boat over till it dies off.
Its certainly dragging out, Damn damn damn,

I thought most of the Gems had dual 110/motor heaters. Not sure about the 800s for sure. Is it an Mc?

Easy to check.
Old 16-03-2012, 23:04   #42

Well I own it again, and will truck it to Melbourne and repair her better than new,
I started a new thread on it,

First week in April it will be moved down here,

Thanks you all for your words,
Cheers,
Brian,
Old 17-03-2012, 10:18   #43

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Well I own it again, and will truck it to Melbourne and repair her better than new,
I started a new thread on it,

First week in April it will be moved down here,

Thanks you all for your words,
Cheers,
Brian,

Good for you.

remember though the new models rudders do not lift fully up horizonal so if you plan to back up to the beach you might want to change your angle of attack unless you want to do rudder repairs soon after all the others. Just ask Chris. I think he did it.