Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2018, 17:17   #1

Boat: Boston Whaler, Conquest 315, 31ft
What do you do if all the dock space is used up?

Some of the islands in Boston harbor have dinky little docks and the islands are popular with picnickers. What I do if I get to my intended island and all the dock space is full?

I think that it is possible private boats are not even supposed to tie up at some docks and instead are supposed to use a mooring. Maybe a dumb question but how do I get from the mooring to shore?
jsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 17:38   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: What do you do if all the dock space is used up?

Dinghy
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 18:32   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Totally and completely answered in one word and one post
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 19:04   #4

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

New world record for the shortest thread ever !!

Mae West
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 19:04   #5

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

If you're fast, you have alternatives to the dinghy:

Humans may not be fast enough to run across water,... | FYFD
Old 19-04-2018, 21:01   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Plan B, if you don't have a dinghy, run the bow up on the beach and jump off. BUT!!!! take note of the state of the tide. Beach the bow at high tide and an hour or so later you might be stuck.

Also, take appropriate care with props and fragile boat bits that might break.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 21:50   #7

Boat: Island Packet 40

Raft up to the boats already there and tromp across their decks being sure to get your boots good and muddy on the return journey. Serves the inconsiderate beggars right for taking your space at the dock.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 22:33   #8

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Blimey yes, but ask the harbourmaster first. Rafting is common in the uk, I’ve been 12-13 boats deep against Poole quay in a blow. Four deep is more commonly about the limit. Swing past a bigger boat than you and ask if it’s ok to raft. Read up on raft etiquette first. No boots, no walking aft of their mast without asking, make good your own shorelines, fender well, discuss when everyone wants to leave.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 08:13   #9

Boat: Pearson 10M

Well since it's Boston harbor you're talking about where commercial interests and public access corporations have taken over at the expense of recreational access the answer is it's difficult.

I suggest joining this email list MassBaySailors@yahoogroups.com, tell Bill I sent you :>)

and here's the body of a recent email regarding Boston Harbor.

Boston Harbor Now is working in partnership with DCR and The National Park Service to repair docking facilities on the Boston Harbor Islands for the upcoming recreational season.

Dock Repair Project Underway for Boston Harbor Islands - Boston Harbor Now - Boston Harbor Now

Boston Harbor NowFiled under: Blog | Tagged as: Boston Harbor Islands, capital improvement project, DCR, Docks, Georges Island, National Park Service, Peddocks Island, recreational boating, Spectacle Island | April 4, 2018

Boston Harbor Now is working in partnership with DCR and The National Park Service to repair docking facilities on the Boston Harbor Islands for the upcoming recreational season. The repair project includes new decking at the Georges Island pier, wave screen repairs on Spectacle Island and a reconfiguration of the float system on Peddock’s Island to provide additional vessel berthing capacity.

The project is valued at $691,000 with funding provided by the National Park Service for the repairs to the DCR assets. Through a unique Cooperative Management agreement between the partners, Boston Harbor Now is acting as both the contract administrator and project manager on the job.

The work on Georges and Spectacle Islands is currently on schedule and expected to be completed by June. The Peddock’s Island works is anticipated to begin this Fall.

Spectacle Pier Repair Photos provided by DCR:
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 08:29   #10

Boat: Casacde 36

You could always just raft up. The Canadians require this at their public docks and it works well. They also usually specify a limit of 3 deep. Consider: 1) pick a boat that's about your size. 2) Insure you are not mast abeam. 3) Don't cross other boats by clomping thru their cockpits, go around the foredeck whenever possible.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 08:33   #11
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc7 View Post
Some of the islands in Boston harbor have dinky little docks and the islands are popular with picnickers. What I do if I get to my intended island and all the dock space is full?

I think that it is possible private boats are not even supposed to tie up at some docks and instead are supposed to use a mooring. Maybe a dumb question but how do I get from the mooring to shore?
Did those islands for 8 years.Never used the dinky docks and instead anchored and used the dinghy and landed on the beach. So of the interesting islands don't even had a dock and barely have a beach good enough to land a dinghy on. But they all still have old fort remains etc that are interesting to bushwack to.
Old 20-04-2018, 08:43   #12

Boat: Catalina 36

Some of the Boston Harbor islands provide a free courtesy dinghy. They are usually orange in color - about 12 foot long wooden dinghies. The process is to pull up to the dock, let off extra passengers then grab the courtesy dinghy and go anchor away from the dock and row back in with the courtesy dinghy. For access to Georges, Lovells, Peddocks, Grape, and Bumpkin Islands, you may drop off your guests and gear at the island docks and anchor offshore. Dinghies are usually available when anchoring. Check out Boston Harbor Islands National & State Park
mikeo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 12:18   #13

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Swim?
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 11:32   #14

Swim
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 16:50   #15

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

My experience in B.C. is that it is acceptable to raft up. In the San Juan's here in WA not so much. I guess Americans r too worried their boat might get a scratch. Or they don't want folks walking across their boats. Or they are not as friendly as the Canadians.

So, in my case, I either drop my hook or go somewhere else.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock