Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2022, 04:02   #16

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: What do you use your knife for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
^^ This.

I do keep them around, one just inside the companionway or at the helm, and one up front, either at the mast or in the anchor locker (you don't want to be scurrying back to the cockpit to get it). They have long lanyards to make them easy to find and hard to lose. Lots of uses. But I can't remember an honest emergency. I avoid emergencies.

The "real" knife is in my sewing kit, kept razor sharp for cutting Dyneema etc. But it's not an expensive knife; it is a retired kitchen knife of good quality that I cut down to a sheep's foot. I have a few like that, at home too.

Kitchen knives, and a grubby one in the fishing kit for cutting line and bait.

I dislike multi-purpose knives, with spikes and wrenches. I'd rather have a sturdy knife, and a proper fid and wrench in the tool box. I've found few good uses for a marlin spike (pliers are better for working out knots) and a shackle key is mostly for dinghies.

But no, in 40 years, I have never felt the need to keep one in my pocket or on my belt.

---

And before pulling out a really sharp knife on board, always think twice. Boats are moving constantly.

In my 30+ years, I’ve done exactly the same. I especially love my marlin spike kit. That stays in the tool room.

Never had an occasion to cut any running rigging.

I did, however, have an occasion to cut chain. My anchor chain became fouled on another chain and anchor someone left on the bottom. I used my dinghy and an angle grinder to cut that.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 04:31   #17

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
In my 30+ years, I’ve done exactly the same. I especially love my marlin spike kit. That stays in the tool room.

Never had an occasion to cut any running rigging.

I did, however, have an occasion to cut chain. My anchor chain became fouled on another chain and anchor someone left on the bottom. I used my dinghy and an angle grinder to cut that.
Cordless angle grinder…now theres a good tool to have!!!
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 04:36   #18

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
Cordless angle grinder…now theres a good tool to have!!!
That would have been much better. I’m a strong proponent of simple corded tools that my house batteries or generator run. So, I ran a cord! Ha ha ha.

Some risk. But I’m alive.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 05:10   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What do you use your knife for?

Used to wear one of these on board, a multi purpose tool kit that hung of my belt ready for most topside needs.. adjustable spanner, pliers, screwdriver, stainless fid and riggers knife.
Unfortunately it got seized by overzealous customs dorks at Gibraltar airport when leaving at the end of a delivery.
Will replace when next in UK.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	76d92c119ed7d8b1b2e7884057cce356.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	255845  

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 05:41   #20

If you are rounding Cape Horn, might be different.

Never felt the need and never seen other sailors going around with a knife on their hip.

Tool kit including knife is quickly accessible from the cockpit but as much for convenience as anything else.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 06:10   #21

Boat: Wharram Tiki 31

Don't know about the best knife, but on a boat I usually have a knife in my belt just in case I need to cut a tangled line in an emergency. It's the same knife I'd use for firemaking and carpentry. We also have a cheap Mora knife with a sheath screwed permanently next to the helm just to be on the safe side.

My kids have knifes with rounded tips. They might be a clever choice for sailing 'cause they won't accidentally puncture your pfd's, but their hilts are a bit too small for my hand (I think I bought them for their fifth birthday).

Edit: Where I'm from it's fairly normal to see folks with knives on their hip at a gas station or even a supermarket, but only when wearing outdoor outfit or some kind of manual workers' gear, overall etc.
PanuV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 06:22   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Used to wear one of these on board, a multi purpose tool kit that hung of my belt ready for most topside needs.. adjustable spanner, pliers, screwdriver, stainless fid and riggers knife.
Unfortunately it got seized by overzealous customs dorks at Gibraltar airport when leaving at the end of a delivery.
Will replace when next in UK.
All those tools in one device that you can open with one hand.

https://myerchin.com/product/p300bl-...l-blue-handle/
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 06:24   #23

We keep many knives around the boat and usually one in my pocket. We use two kinds of blades.

folding 4" blades with a knurled thumbpiece so it can be opened with one hand. from the hilt to half-way up the blade is cerrated. The rest of the blade to the tip is sharp with a bit of curved belly. These are jack of all traits type knives, which can easily cut rope.

The other are folding utility knives with replaceable blades. Like regular knives, we like that ones that can be opened with one hand.

All these knives are the cheap variety. I don't care if it gets dropped or rusts because they are cheap and easy to replace. We keep them everywhere on the boat and we each usually have on in our pocket.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 06:34   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If you are rounding Cape Horn, might be different.

Never felt the need and never seen other sailors going around with a knife on their hip.

Tool kit including knife is quickly accessible from the cockpit but as much for convenience as anything else.

thanks for my morning chuckle.

I hope you NEVER feel the need for a knife. But if you do, on deck in even 8-10's it is nice to have it. Versus making your way back to the cockpit, and returning to the problem.

And no, I don't "go around" with a knife on my hip. But one of the things I do when we are making ready to get underway, is to put my knife on.

Haven't been around the Horn, but I have done a fair amount of blue water. Even on coastal hops, having the tool with me is the difference between "I go to come back and fix that" versus, "Let me fix that now." And on deliveries, a few times a year- I NEED my sailor's tool. Heck, during a race in Tampa Bay, I needed it on my boat!
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 09:45   #25

Whatever you get, make sure it has a marlin spike. It’s an absolute must.
Giro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 10:05   #26

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

I keep a Myerchin with marlin spike in my pocket all the time. It is tethered to me, just in case. That is, I don't use the clip on the knife.

I also use a Wave when needed but find it too big to carry around in its holster mounted on a belt.

The blades on all of the above are excellent and retain their edge very well. The serrated Myerchin has never been sharpened but still cuts extremely well.

The Myerchin blade is easily opened with one hand after a bit of practice.

We also keep non-folding dive knives in a sheath at the pulpit, mast and binnacle. These have never been used but are there just in case.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:33   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
thanks for my morning chuckle.

I hope you NEVER feel the need for a knife. But if you do, on deck in even 8-10's it is nice to have it. Versus making your way back to the cockpit, and returning to the problem.

And no, I don't "go around" with a knife on my hip. But one of the things I do when we are making ready to get underway, is to put my knife on.

Haven't been around the Horn, but I have done a fair amount of blue water. Even on coastal hops, having the tool with me is the difference between "I go to come back and fix that" versus, "Let me fix that now." And on deliveries, a few times a year- I NEED my sailor's tool. Heck, during a race in Tampa Bay, I needed it on my boat!
Glad I was able to make your morning.

Maybe with deliveries where the boat's condition may be unknown and frequently marginal, it's critical.

If you are pushing a boat to it's limits racing, I could see getting into a bind and needing to act quickly.

Cruising conservatively on a well maintained boat, there is certainly no harm in carrying one but it's not typical from what I've seen. As long as you can get one fairly quickly, it's a very marginal improvement.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 10:54   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I typically get these Leatherman multitools for xmas. I must have two dozen of them now stashed all around the place. Despite all the various gadgets and blades on them, I don't find them to be very useful for much of anything.

By far and away, my favorite knife is a sturdy fillet knife with a 9" blade. I say sturdy, so as not to be confused with these spaghetti noodle thin fillet blades. I keep it razor sharp and it resides in it's own plastic sheath. It's marvel of a knife when it comes time to fillet a fish.

My second favorite is a dive knife I keep strapped to my leg when I'm diving. It's a beast of a blade, with a serrated edge. I have used it from time to time to cut free ropes around props, remove barnacles from props, etc.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 11:07   #29

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I’m a scuba instructor so yes cutting my way out of fish line of worse nets.
Oysters. Have lime and knife.
I actually carry two knives diving one high one low. Both have line cutters and saws.
One the boat I carry a Buck. They may be one of the best companies on earth.
I also carry an estwing hatchet but not on a belt. I use the Estwing for beach fire word and killing parasite vines on native trees. It’s a hobby.
If I ever have to launch the life raft I know where the buck is.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 12:48   #30

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I typically get these Leatherman multitools for xmas. I must have two dozen of them now stashed all around the place. Despite all the various gadgets and blades on them, I don't find them to be very useful for much of anything.
If you don't want them, you should re-gift to all your CF friends. I'd be happy to take a few off your hands .

As I said, I use my Leatherman (Charge) all the time, both on and off the boat. It's probably the tool I use the most because, while it's rarely the best option, it is the best one with me when I encounter something that needs fixing.

Maybe this says more about my boat, but I find I'm constantly finding little jobs to do just wondering around and doing my constant checks. A screw is loose here, a pin needs tightening, a spur needs filing. I use it for whippings, for wire cutting, for trimming some threads... endless little (and not so little) jobs get done all the time.

As for the need of a marlin spike, I've found that my Charge's needle nose pliers are superior for knot work than the spike. I have a proper rigging knife, complete with spike, but I find the pliers better for opening stubborn knots.