Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2022, 11:42   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
What do you use your knife for?

May seem like a silly question, but I was looking at getting knives for the family, and it seems there is a lot of passion here about the best rigging knife. But, in the two years I’ve been sailing, I don’t think I’ve actually needed to cut any rigging!

I see why a proper rigging knife is important if you are replacing/repairing lines, but does that happen that often? Or, is it for the rare emergency you need to cut your way out of? Or, does a rigging knife see most of its service not on rigging?

Maybe I’m just not sailing tough enough seas.
DanielI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 12:02   #2

Boat: Leopard 40
Re: What do you use your knife for?

For eating biltong! Or as the Americans call it…Jerky!

aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 12:03   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

My knife is a Leatherman multitool. The other tools see far more use than the knives, although I certainly find need for both the straight and serrated blade at times.

The blades on my version, the Leatherman Charge, can be opened and closed single-handed, which makes it a good safety knife. But I certainly use the other tools far more often than the blades.
Old 11-04-2022, 12:10   #4

I keep a folding knife by the helm for emergencies and a corkscrew for everyday use.
Danm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 12:16   #5

Boat: Leopard 40

Love my Leatherman Wave. With additional screwdriver bits. Comes in very handy!
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 12:35   #6

Ah multitools

We keep a one-hand-opening "rescue"/shackle-dog marine knife in a pouch on our PFDs, for emergencies and other use, and I keep a multitool near the companionway for fast fixes. I favour multitools with decent pliers.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 13:17   #7

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

I keep a fixed-blade Myerchin (https://myerchin.com/) strapped to the dodger top next to the cabin-top winches, and a folding Titanium Gen 2 of the same brand on any pants I happen to be wearing on-board. I treat them like my PFD, or flares, or other safety stuff - buy the best quality and hope I never have a need to use it. As far as tools or spreading peanut butter or other stuff, I'll go below and pickup the right tool.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 13:53   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

As a delivery guy, I wear my knife whenever I am on a boat. I have had to use it a few times in emergencies.

THE MOST FOOLISH THING is to have a knife in the cockpit and not on your hip. Things don’t break in the cockpit, they break on deck. I have given knives to crew who did incredible jobs on deliveries and a customer who engaged me several times. Every time it was with the direction they had to wear it when on watch.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 14:04   #9

Boat: Nauticat 43

I have used my Swiss army knife (Evolution S17) to cut the painter on our dinghy once when that was needed to be done quickly. I wouldn't go into a dinghy without a pocket knife. Otherwise, I've use the flat head screwdriver sometimes and the bottle cap opener more often.
Old 11-04-2022, 14:06   #10

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I carry a Kershaw Scallion everywhere. I use it a dozen times a day. From opening Amazon boxes to scraping MarineTex to cutting line. I can’t get through life without a knife.

Also have onein the cockpit, and a Myrchin on a lanyard.
Old 11-04-2022, 14:38   #11
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I carry a serrated riggers knife with a marlin spike and shackle key integrated. I keep a divers knife at the cockpit .
Old 11-04-2022, 14:45   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielI View Post
May seem like a silly question, but I was looking at getting knives for the family, and it seems there is a lot of passion here about the best rigging knife. But, in the two years I’ve been sailing, I don’t think I’ve actually needed to cut any rigging!

I see why a proper rigging knife is important if you are replacing/repairing lines, but does that happen that often? Or, is it for the rare emergency you need to cut your way out of? Or, does a rigging knife see most of its service not on rigging?

^^ This.

I do keep them around, one just inside the companionway or at the helm, and one up front, either at the mast or in the anchor locker (you don't want to be scurrying back to the cockpit to get it). They have long lanyards to make them easy to find and hard to lose. Lots of uses. But I can't remember an honest emergency. I avoid emergencies.

The "real" knife is in my sewing kit, kept razor sharp for cutting Dyneema etc. But it's not an expensive knife; it is a retired kitchen knife of good quality that I cut down to a sheep's foot. I have a few like that, at home too.

Kitchen knives, and a grubby one in the fishing kit for cutting line and bait.

I dislike multi-purpose knives, with spikes and wrenches. I'd rather have a sturdy knife, and a proper fid and wrench in the tool box. I've found few good uses for a marlin spike (pliers are better for working out knots) and a shackle key is mostly for dinghies.

But no, in 40 years, I have never felt the need to keep one in my pocket or on my belt.

---

And before pulling out a really sharp knife on board, always think twice. Boats are moving constantly.
Old 11-04-2022, 14:54   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Which knife? I carry 3 and have a few more.

What for? Everything!
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 20:30   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielI View Post

Retired shipwright here I carry a rigging knife to make a few bucks in guest marinas an ulu for most kitchen cooking needs an old hunting knife for general purposes and a fillet knife well for fish .
Old 11-04-2022, 20:57   #15

Boat: J/42

My EDC pocket knife is a Leatherman Wave multi tool. Use it for everything.

Each PFD has a hook-style safety knife or “rescue tool” (Gill) attached to it by a lanyard (1/16 dyneema) Captain’s PFD has the “Marine tool” which also has the marlinspike for loosening knots and a shackle key.

And there are straight and serrated rigging knives in the cubby with the other ready deck tools. WM used to give them away on coupon deals but now they cost $25. These are what usually get used for cutting rope. ‘Cause honestly, when sailing I don’t always have enough clothes on to have pockets.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote