Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2013, 22:17   #16

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: Where to tie fenders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Mark...Dude...You need more fenders...
I'm staying with ten for now (five each side). Fenders are needed where there will be "normal" abrasion as well as at near stern and bow ends for when one needs to make tight turns adjacent to a dock. Since that picture was taken, I've moved the orange fenders closest to the stern even closer to the stern.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 08:54   #17

Depends where you need fendering.

If you need a fender and there is no cleat, you go to the stantions. If there are no stantions, you use the lifelines.

Tide with fixed docks is the tougest. Should be a problem on fixed docks and non-tidal waters.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 09:23   #18

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Where to Tie Fenders...

Try tying a low stretch line from one stanchion base to another, then tie your fender to that line where needed. A fender board also might work if your stanchions are close enough together. We have a fender board that easily dismantles, I like it better than the one posted below.

PS
Ignore the peanut gallery, these threads can be very useful.
Old 14-09-2013, 09:47   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

If you need a fender and there is no cleat, you go to the stantions. If there are no stantions, you use the lifelines.

Tide with fixed docks is the tougest. Should be a problem on fixed docks and non-tidal waters.
Finally a real answer! You tie them where you need them! If that happens to be a lifeline, so be it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 10:16   #20
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

I don't want them on a stanchion, because that would put my stanchion up against a piling.

I used to have wooden fenderboards. PVC pipe works great and weighs 1/20 of the wood ones.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 12:42   #21

Raku, I saw those PVC boards, they seem like they would spinter in a million pieces under a heavy bump..no?
Old 14-09-2013, 12:55   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i use my fenders parallel to water and toe rail as they were intended and i suspend em wherever i want to--sometimes on a piling sometimes from a lifeline sometimes to a shroud--wherever i bludi feel like sticking them for practicality.

you all who use those cutesie little attachers that never work for long so i can have new fenders as YOURS float by me i catch em. thankyou for the fenders. no they are mine fair and square.
i use lengths of line to suspend mine.
i store mine on transom.

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 13:05   #23

He he, good one Z. My last marina had a free to good home/ lost and found nook for folks to put found fenders, cockpit cushions, etc. if not claimed, it goes to whoever wants em. Whenever I would hit the dumpster and see a perfectly good but dirty fender, I'd dig it out and put it in that nook.
Old 14-09-2013, 14:49   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Raku, I saw those PVC boards, they seem like they would spinter in a million pieces under a heavy bump..no?

Mine have done just fine on a T-dock (couldn't tie boat in the center of the slip, only on one side) through some fairly heavy weather.

In a TS I'm sure I would do something else but they have worked through some rough stuff. I wouldn't risk my toe rail being damaged. I wouldn't use them if I didn't have confidence in them, and I know some mighty fine sailors, one a naval architect, that uses them.

I wouldn't come in here and recommend them if I'd seen them fail.
Old 14-09-2013, 14:51   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i use my fenders parallel to water and toe rail as they were intended and i suspend em wherever i want to--sometimes on a piling sometimes from a lifeline sometimes to a shroud--wherever i bludi feel like sticking them for practicality.

you all who use those cutesie little attachers that never work for long so i can have new fenders as YOURS float by me i catch em. thankyou for the fenders. no they are mine fair and square.
i use lengths of line to suspend mine.
i store mine on transom.

Actually my "cutsie" attachers work quite well. You don't have to like 'em, though.
Old 14-09-2013, 14:59   #26

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

How about them beautiful, eye-pleasing, tugboat's fenders made up of old tires? The boat's sides are wall-to-wall covered with old tires. Go ahead and tell these operators where they should be attaching their old tires!

Mauritz
Knows and sees all...
Old 14-09-2013, 15:15   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
How about them beautiful, eye-pleasing, tugboat's fenders made up of old tires? The boat's sides are wall-to-wall covered with old tires. Go ahead and tell these operators where they should be attaching their old tires!

Mauritz
Knows and sees all...

I grew up in a tugboat family. You talk. I'll watch.

Over there.
Old 14-09-2013, 19:39   #28

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Try tying a low stretch line from one stanchion base to another, then tie your fender to that line where needed.

PS
Ignore the peanut gallery, these threads can be very useful.
I'm thinking of shackling some vinyl covered lifeline wires between the stanchion bases that can then double as occasional harness jackstays. fenders tied off to these whether hung vertically or horizontally could be easily moved fore/aft to the ideal locations. Our marina has all floating docks so fender boards are not needed. we have in-mast mainsail furling and a roller headsail so trips up/back to the foredeck in lumpy weather should be rare enough to put up with any inconvenience of unhooking/re-hooking to move from one section of jackstay to the next.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fender