Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 09:37   #1

Whisker Pole Control Lines

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with running an foreguy and afterguy on an adjustable-length whisker pole. We have Gulfstar 50 and will make a long passage (downwind, I hope) early next year. Anyone with experience would be great. thanks so much.
Sailsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:49   #2

Re: Whisker Pole control lines

Why? Doesn't the sail accomplish the foreguy and topping lift job while the sheet does the afterguy role? It's not like a spinnaker that needs to be trimmed soft. If it's banging around simply tighten the sheet, and maybe move the block forward.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:56   #3

Sometimes the pole drifts aft and doesn't snug up tp the clew like it should. I know we could sail without any control lines, but I was just wondering what others have done about this problem. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:01   #4

Boat: Garcia Passoa 48

I use a topping lift but agree with Daddle that you don't need fore or after guys. If you are rigging your pole in light wind then it may tend to slide aft on your sheet if it is sagging so a topping lift will solve that problem for you. I use the topping line because it also makes it easier for me to manage setting the pole by myself. Here is a good video for whisker pole 101.

andrewsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:03   #5

thanks. I saw the video. Using the topping lift is a good idea for keeping the pole close to the clew. thanks.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:10   #6

Boat: Morgan 461

I was under the impression that it is better to fully fix the whisker pole. The reasoning behind it is that it'll be much easier to trim or furl the sail if the need arised, without having to worry about the pole. Assuming the sail is on a furler, of course.

I don't currently have a whisker pole, so I could very well be talking out of my rear.
enovillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:19   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

IMO, while it is possible to sail without control lines on the pole, one has better control of sail shape if one has at least a topping lift and a foreguy. We find these lines to be quite useful.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 08-08-2011, 10:21   #8

That is exactly the concern- being ablest furl quickly in a squall or for a ship or whatever.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:28   #9

Boat: Garcia Passoa 48

I get the whisker pole set with the sail furled, put the sheet in the jaws and then unfurl the sail. Fine tune the topping lift and the up-haul/down-haul lines to make sure the pole is at the right height if needed. The pole comes out and around with the sail and stays snu against the clew. You can then reef or furl as necessary by just hauling in your furling line if you have roller furling. You can furl it in to where the pole is right up to the furled sail.
andrewsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:32   #10

Thanks everyone. We are not newbies, just looking for specifics on the control lines, where to put the fairleads, for example.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:34   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Sam,

We have found that in "emergency" furling without an afterguy the pole often imparts a really bad wrap in the furled sail as it swings forward. I normally drop the pole before fully furling the sail. This is not fatal, but a nuisance. I've often wished I had rigged an aft control line but in fact have not ever done so. Lazy, I am!

Our boat is fractional rigged, so the Genoa is only around 60 sq metres. We often will carry the pole with the apparent wind as far forward as ~100 degrees (especially in shifty winds). This puts a lot of compression on our spinny pole. If you contemplate doing the same on your somewhat larger masthead boat, be careful not to overload the adjustable whisker pole. We've seen a few of them that failed catastrophically.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 08-08-2011, 12:44   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Several reasons to use fore and aft guys and a topping lift on a whisker pole. First, it stabilizes the pole so you can move the wear poing on the sheet. Not a big deal on a day sail but running with a jib poled out for twelve days, it becomes criticial.

Second is control of the pole in other than ideal conditions. When it comes time to set and or douse the pole, it's a breeze with a pole set up with guys. As others have said, just furl the head sail, set up the pole with fore and aft guys and lift and swing it out. Unfurl the sail and you are all set up and running. To douse the pole, furl the sail, bring the pole forwared and unhook the sheet from the jaws. If I anticipate using the pole again soon, I lift the inner end, pull the outboard end down with the foreguy where it nestles securely on the bow and go about my business. When I'm ready to use it again it's ready and waiting.

As far as hardware to set up the guys, I attach a snatch block to the stem weldment at the bow, have several unused pukas, to run the foreguy. Led it back to the cockpit on the windward side which has unused winches and cleats for the sail to Hawaii. I used it without any other gear on the sail to Hawaii. Have since added a small block to the padeye I attach my Jack Lines to a few feet aft of the stem and a fair lead eye so it runs along the edge of the deck/cabin and to a cam cleat on the outside edge of the cockpit coaming. Found I didn't need to use a winch on this and wanted to leave it rigged all the time. The afterguy is lead to a snatch block on a spar car on the genoa track and back to the secondary winch on the boat. With tension on the jib sheet, pretty much have to winch the pole into position.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote