Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 09:46   #1

Boat: 26' Trailer Sailer
Whisker poles on a beam reach

Hello all. I have a new 125 hank on genoa, and I don't have genoa cars set up yet to appropriately trim the sail when on a beam reach. The track for the cars on my little boat are only about 12" long, really a joke, fixing that over the winter. This weekend I had a few hours of needing to beam reach in light winds, and I set up the whisker pole on the genoa and felt like I had good results, boat speed came up, sails looked happy. My question, I don't ever see whisker poles being described for this usage. So is this not a thing? Was there a better solution than the pole?
trswem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:57   #2

Boat: Hunter 33.5'
Re: Whisker poles on a beam reach

we're certainly not experts but i've read/heard that the idea with the pole is to maximize projected sail area downwind and keep the sail from collapsing/flogging. for us, we only use the pole when running, usually when wing-on-wing. our 150 genoa fills nicely when on a beam reach.
i-Zapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:05   #3

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Whisker poles on a beam reach

It would be most unusual to set the pole on a beam reach.

As you move off the wind, usually the first move is to let the genoa car move up on the track. Then at some point you might switch from the inside track to a track on the toerail (or a block at a fixed location on the toerail, depending on your setup)i. The whisker pole would be the last step.