Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2019, 16:37   #31

Re: Whistle, gong, bell, or aerosol can of refrigerant?

Try reading Crockford. It’s on line. The guy was considered the leading expert on the subject. Not sure if he has specifically weighed in on this question.

The rules say what the rules say I can’t point to something they don’t say.
I can just give you an interpretation of what they say.

My interpretation as I have tried to explain. The Bell means something it cannot efficiently mean something else.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 16:40   #32

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
You are right about the vessel lengths and exemptions. Bells and whistles are not required by small vessels under 20 and 12m

The Bell meets a requirement for vessels which require a Bell. It is a specific sound signal with a specific meaning. Which means it cannot be efficient as a different sound signal.

Your suggestion of short long short is a good suggestion because it is a signal which has no other meaning. Morse R has no significant meaning. it cannot be confused with another sound signal with a meaning.
All the other Morse letters have a single meaning.

One which might be used. Is used by rigs. Short short long. Morse U. Has the “meaning you are running into danger” your R is better.

On my boat if I was at anchor. I would bang a pot. Or a frying pan. In reply to hearing a fog signal. Or play thunderstruck or the Ace Of Spades on my CD payer through my cockpit speakers.

Unless it was a bell I heard. Which I would think was another anchored vessel.

For vessels under 20m requirement is for efficient sound making device. Efficiency in this meaning has to do with range at which it can be heard. There is no requirement that it not be confusing. Bell meets the requirement but at the same time can be confusing.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 16:47   #33

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
For vessels under 20m requirement is for efficient sound making device. Efficiency in this meaning has to do with range at which it can be heard. There is no requirement that it not be confusing. Bell meets the requirement but at the same time can be confusing.
Thanks Adelie. I really did not mean to get into a debate. But now that this discussion has forced me to re-read the regs, I think they are quite clear. And I think you’ve stated it well.
Old 08-02-2019, 18:06   #34

RULE 36 Signals to Attract Attention If necessary to attract the attention of another vessel any vessel may make light or sound signals that cannot be mistaken for any signal authorised elsewhere in these Rules, or may direct the beam of her searchlight in the direction of the danger, in such a way as not to embarrass any vessel. Any light to attract the atten- tion of another vessel shall be such that it cannot be mistaken for any aid to navigation. For the purpose of this Rule the use of high intensity intermittent or revolving lights, such as strobe lights, shall be avoided

Read this, Now tell me again using a Bell when underway making way in fog is OK.

Rule 2 two also requires you to use common sense.

How can you possibly think the rules allow using a bell instead of a whistle is good seamanship practice just because the rules don't specifically prohibit doing so.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 19:39   #35

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
How can you possibly think the rules allow using a bell instead of a whistle is good seamanship practice just because the rules don't specifically prohibit doing so.

Well, because as posted upthread, boats that need to be whistled at don't know what it means anyway.
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 19:47   #36

Boat: Westerly Sealord

For fog?

A good sound system together with a recording of dogs barking, roosters crowing, etc....

That gets their attention....
Old 08-02-2019, 19:55   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Damn hate those air horns especially if I'm on the boat that's blowing them. Nothing more annoying than the local drunk that has to sound off for any reason. Have a Brit. Plate Layer's Horn that I bought long ago. Plenty loud but not that high pitched screech of those air bottle horns.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:37   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I can't remember where, but we found an airhorn whose tank is a 1liter pop bottle and it has a tire valve on it so you can pressurize it with any bike tire pump (we have a small one aboard). It seems to hold pressure for a few months. It's very loud.
That’s called an “airzound” - an ar horn for a bicycle.
mickt243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:33   #39

Boat: Antares 44i

Aerosol horn, only used twice. Once with a boat under sail in Exumas on a collision course with no one apparent in cockpit, and not responding to VHF. Got required attention.

Second time in a mooring field in island bay off Sardinian coast. Charter boat expertly tied off to a tiny race course bouy and immediately went below. They dragged that bouy 1/2 mile, passing us 100 ft off our beam, and heading for trouble. Shouting and radio didn’t work, but that horn sure did. They were quite surprised to come up and discover themselves on the opposite side of the bay from where they started!
AZUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:21   #40

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
What do you carry for noisemakers and why?

Do you think the environmentally unfriendly aerosol horn in the lazarette is a good enough answer? You know it's filled with either global-warming-contributing R-134a (if newer) or ozone-depleting R-12 (if older), and that it won't work in cold weather, don't you?

Does the aerosol horn comply with COLREGS for vessels over 39.4 feet that are required to carry a whistle that meets certain technical requirements?

Do you find that a horn/whistle is actually a useful device for communicating with other boats in a crossing situation?

Do you find it to be useful for communicating with locks and bridges? Do you find that there are any locks or bridges that lack VHF communications where a whistle is the only practical means of communication?

If you have a horn or whistle that is permanently installed, where is it placed?
I use an Eco Horn.
Pumps up with a bicycle pump
Works good heard a mile away from boaters I was signaling to.
Trouble is ALOT of folks don't use signals in fog.
Radar is not adequate.
It does NOTHING to inform others where YOU are.
As well its not practical to think your gonna hear a bell, gong,whistle, horn ect.
when motoring.
Slow down and listen.
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:27   #41

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
RULE 36 Signals to Attract Attention If necessary to attract the attention of another vessel any vessel may make light or sound signals that cannot be mistaken for any signal authorised elsewhere in these Rules, or may direct the beam of her searchlight in the direction of the danger, in such a way as not to embarrass any vessel. Any light to attract the atten- tion of another vessel shall be such that it cannot be mistaken for any aid to navigation. For the purpose of this Rule the use of high intensity intermittent or revolving lights, such as strobe lights, shall be avoided

Read this, Now tell me again using a Bell when underway making way in fog is OK.

Rule 2 two also requires you to use common sense.

Slowing the boat, using a horn every 2 mins, stopping to listen, radar target( if you have it).
Together these help considerably.
Everything must slow down abit.
Cheers
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:43   #42

Boat: J/42

Another thought I’ve toyed with is to install a small air compressor in the lazarette to inflate the dinghy, SUP, etc. So why not add an accumulator tank and a permanently mounted air horn? So far, this seems too Rubegoldbergian even for me. And I need the exercise.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:54   #43

I keep an air horn next to the helm and I find quite useful, I have used it a handful of times. Mostly in the marina, to alert a boat in the main fairway as I am coming in from a secondary fairway (you cannot always see "around the corner" in our marina, I hear other boats doing the same fairly often). I have also used it to wake up a guy at the helm of a crossing sailboat and a couple of times to express my displeasure to other boat operators...
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:30   #44

Boat: J/42

For plowing - er... maneuvering through the windsurfer fleet/circus, maybe a hefty pair of cockpit stereo speakers would be more effective than tooting a horn. Perhaps kinder and gentler. Depending. Ride of the Valkyries, anyone? A continuous signal, anyway. About the only situation in which I might advocate, rather than condemn such a thing.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:40   #45

Boat: Custom Brewer Miami 45 45' - Quetzalcoatl

I have several horns aboard of different operational types. The aerosol type, one that can be blown like a musical horn, and a hailer which as mentioned already is too complicated to use for anything but in fog. There are aerosol canisters available that do not affect the ozone layer or contribute to global warning. The primary reason I keep the horn handy is for the danger signal, five short blasts. Even if a boater doesn't know what five short blasts stands for, it certainly gets their attention. The last time I used it was while leaving an anchorage. A super yacht power vessel was entering as I was leaving. We were set to pass port to port with no conflict, when suddenly the yacht made a 90 degree turn right turn front of us. I was forced to take evasive action to avoid a collision. In this case I didn't have time to use it to avoid a conflict, but I used it instead to embarrass them and signal my disapproval.
Donald Bryden is offline   Reply With Quote