Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2019, 10:30   #61

Re: Whistle, gong, bell, or aerosol can of refrigerant?

Just stomp on the cats tail, everything will get out of your way!
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 07:05   #62

My toy of choice on the 14 footer, is one I pulled out of A VW Super bug I used to own. It was automotive and a sealed unit with two horns. Sounded like an ocean liner Fog horn and about as loud. Simple 12v. Draws nothing til used and not much then. Found it on the car catalog: JC Whitney.

You won't believe how fast people stop being idiots when I give a blast with that. A paddle boarder with headphones and no sense fell off his board when hit with it a year ago. <chuckle>

(should have seen what happened when that old bug would use it... LOL Think that one college kid who stepped in front of it in the middle of the block about reached a two story roof with that jump....)
raclapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 13:18   #63

I have a set of cheap car air horns with the compressor in my instrument cluster. These are push button so always at hand for a quick warning blast to get attention. Nothing to go and fetch wasting valuable time. I also have a back up hand held air horn with bike pump.
Andypids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 13:23   #64

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I've got a triple tone set of electric horns on my boat. Not as loud as a good set of air horns, but a fraction of the price and still notably louder than required on my size boat (and I'd say louder than I've heard on any other boat in the area). I also installed a Fogmate controller to have the option of an automatic fog horn feature if I need it.

The horns look like this as installed. The setup is comprised of the Ongaro dual tone electric trumpet horns, plus their single shorty trumpet mounted on top as a 3rd tone. Horn lengths for the 3 are 18.5", 16.5" and 13.5" if I remember correctly. The sound is a lot more distinct than the common single and dual tone electric horns and not flat sounding like many of those.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200422_195430.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	218118  
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote