Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2023, 14:31   #166

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2 (sold)
Re: Who remembers all around white lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
But in areas where boaters are used to seeing them, it certainly makes sense to fly one.
Nobody uses them around here. I display mine because I am a hopeless nerd. I got a motor sailing cone for Christmas. Send help.
steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 14:33   #167

Boat: Voyage 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
Nobody uses them around here. I display mine because I am a hopeless nerd. I got a motor sailing cone for Christmas. Send help.

How many of your neighbors do we need to help?
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 14:35   #168

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Every cruise ship, tanker, freighter, and professionally skippered boat flies the round day shape when anchored. There's a reason for that! Since the COLREGS apply equally to the big boys and to us, why should there be even a question as to whether we, as small boats, should do otherwise?

It only takes about a minute to hoist the anchor day shape.

I never moor or anchor without displaying my day shape. It might not protect my boat from getting hit, but will help prevent my pocketbook from getting the same treatment.
Old 08-02-2023, 14:41   #169

Boat: Rafiki 37

We've been over the dayshape thing before (a few times in fact). Nothing has changed.
Old 08-02-2023, 14:43   #170

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
We've been over the dayshape thing before (a few times in fact). Nothing has changed.

Actually, there are undoubtably new players for that bunfight. But otherwise you are probably correct, nothing else has changed.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 14:46   #171

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Actually, there are undoubtably new players for that bunfight. But otherwise you are probably correct, nothing else has changed.

Yes, I suppose you're right. Fling away...
Old 08-02-2023, 15:06   #172

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

The mods were hoping this wouldn’t morph into a black ball discussion but we aren’t surprised it’s come up.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 15:16   #173

Boat: Jeanneau 57

At least it's not devolved to firearms or approaching Godwin's Law yet...
Old 08-02-2023, 15:34   #174

Boat: Hunter 410

I'm surprised nobody's brought up anchoring technique/brand/scope/rode yet. Maybe if we all used a good, new generation anchor, 2 sizes up from manufacturer recommendation, on all chain rode, with 5.27:1 scope, we wouldn't need the lights at all!
Old 08-02-2023, 16:23   #175

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereAndBack View Post
Exceedingly rare to ever see one in any of my cruising grounds. Would probably be avoided by the rest of the crowd if you showed one. lol

Nope. Didn't drive anyone away.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 17:55   #176

Boat: Island Packet 40

There is a potential problem with LED masthead lights.

Unlike incandescent bulbs which tend to throw out a spherical illumination and consequently are equally visible from all directions bar the base, many LEDs only illuminate a cone of varying included angle (15-30 degrees is common) Consequently when LED anchor lights are used on top of a sail boat mast they dim as one approaches the subject vessel and (down here in the southern hemisphere where we generally have nice clean air) are easily mistaken for bright stars. Deck level LED anchor lights, being viewed within the cone of maximum illumination, don't have this problem.
Old 08-02-2023, 18:36   #177

Boat: Voyage 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post

Unlike incandescent bulbs which tend to throw out a spherical illumination and consequently are equally visible from all directions bar the base, many LEDs only illuminate a cone of varying included angle (15-30 degrees is common) Consequently when LED anchor lights are used on top of a sail boat mast they dim as one approaches the subject vessel and (down here in the southern hemisphere where we generally have nice clean air) are easily mistaken for bright stars. Deck level LED anchor lights, being viewed within the cone of maximum illumination, don't have this problem.

Most LED masthead lights have great visibility. I've found that the vast majority of them can be seen further away and in foul weather than incandescent lights. I've noticed boats with LED lights run them more often (possibly because they draw less power and possibly because the burn out less without the trip up to the top to change them.)

Please see the attached photo I took just now. This is my closest neighbor, who is quite close, about 30meters away. I can VERY clearly see their masthead LED light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230208_212914.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	271338  
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 19:50   #178

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereAndBack View Post
Most LED masthead lights have great visibility. I've found that the vast majority of them can be seen further away and in foul weather than incandescent lights. I've noticed boats with LED lights run them more often (possibly because they draw less power and possibly because the burn out less without the trip up to the top to change them.)

Please see the attached photo I took just now. This is my closest neighbor, who is quite close, about 30meters away. I can VERY clearly see their masthead LED light.

Wow. That’s another unique way to help a boat be seen.

Since I have been doing this so long, I light up the super structure of the boat in addition to the masthead light.

If I saw a big, blue, radioactive patch of water like that and a masthead light I might even just turn around and try to find a different anchorage. Thinking it’s aliens or toxic waste. Ha ha ha.

So I would say those water lights are actually pretty good. A good addition to the required lights.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 04:13   #179

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post

This is also true of most incandescent anchor lights. The light housing usually has a mechanism (most commonly a fresnel lens) that is designed to concentrate the light around the horizontal axis. This is needed to ensure the light is bright enough to meet required standards without drawing too much power.

The is why an incandescent anchor light has a diffuser with ridges on it. The ridges are the fresnel lens.

LED navigation lights have to meet minimum standards for horizontal as well as vertical light distribution. Incidentally, these requirements are different for sailing and power boats (because sailing boats heel over) so check any LED navigation light fittings you install on a yacht are approved for a sailing vessel.

LED anchor lights mounted on the masthead will become slightly dimmer when viewed from a low angle but if correctly installed should remain adequately bright. The biggest problem is that they are sometimes installed too low and the top mast plate together with aerials etc obscure some of the light.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 04:35   #180

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
So I would say those water lights are actually pretty good. A good addition to the required lights.
They are becoming very common. Personally, I think they look cool, but I could never justify the extra holes in the hull. It should also be noted that some people find underwater lights annoying so this is another reason to avoid installing them.

This is one of the prettiest night time illumination schemes I have seen recently. You are not going to hit this boat coming into the anchorage at night.

Also note the red lights on top of the masts on an anchored vessel. These can cause confusion if you have not encountered them before (they are for aircraft avoidance). You might also be just able to make out the black ball day shape on the foredeck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	851FE9C6-B727-4C25-BCB1-023FEAA7D0AF.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	354.1 KB
ID:	271362  
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags