Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2023, 12:49   #91

Re: Who remembers all around white lights?

In Trinidad epsecially , but other places also , I often lost my boat in a crowded anchorage from the view point offered from my dingy , I solved 90% of the issue with rail lights , in either a color of purpose full pattern...it is easy to miss mast high anchor lights.
myketch42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2023, 14:33   #92

I struggle a little about light pollution for myself and the animals around me, including humans, so I use proper masthead white but on deck level on the bow a stern a couple solar amber lights. This is safe and meets codes but minimizes light pollution.
Packman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2023, 14:38   #93

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by myketch42 View Post
... I solved 90% of the issue with rail lights , in either a color of purpose full pattern...it is easy to miss mast high anchor lights.
I solved the "find me" problem differently - I put 2 horizontal stripes of 3M reflective tape at the top of the mast. Even with a small headband-LED light the reflection is very bright at a great distance and allows me to find my boat in a crowded anchorage.
Old 13-01-2023, 15:24   #94

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlespeed View Post
Been hit twice by fellow cruisers driving RIBs, in designated anchorages, at night despite having my white masthead anchor light on.

First time they claimed they couldn't see the anchor light due to all the background lights on shore. You would think the black hole my boat presented against the same shoreline would have been a big clue to them.

The second time in a crowded anchorage, the driver was returning to his boat that was further out in the bay, said he was looking ahead and not up, so he never saw it.

I now keep the masthead anchor light on at night and have an all around deck mounted flashing white light on top of my bimini. Not a whole anchorage annoying strobe.
So people think you are a north cardinal?
Old 13-01-2023, 15:32   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
That line of reasoning will get you nowhere because placing it at the top of the mast is part of the ordinary practice of seamen.
No it is not. Someone at Hella or Aquasignal had the bright idea of combining an all round white with a tri-light in the same fitting about 30 or 40 years ago - nothing more.

Sensible sailors hang an anchor light in the fore triangle or sling one under the boom.
This sort of thing
https://www.svb24.com/en/aqua-signal...-hoisting.html
Old 13-01-2023, 16:45   #96

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
No it is not. Someone at Hella or Aquasignal had the bright idea of combining an all round white with a tri-light in the same fitting about 30 or 40 years ago - nothing more.

Sensible sailors hang an anchor light in the fore triangle or sling one under the boom.
This sort of thing
https://www.svb24.com/en/aqua-signal...-hoisting.html
I'm a fan and have posted previously about my hoistable lights.

But the fact of the matter is that anchor lights at the top of the mast have been a common practice for many years. It's the best location for a permanently wired light that is out of the way of the sails and visible from all directions. I don't think the line of reasoning that such a light isn't sufficient would hold up well, just because it's common and accepted. In most places people anchor where collision is a concern, they're clearly visible.

I would like to see "split" anchor lights on either side of the mast, lower down, become more common, but that will always be a more expensive way to do it, and there will always be racers or someone complaining about sail chafe. On the other hand, in addition to being more visible, it gets the electrical noise from the LED power converter out of the VHF antenna, declutters the top of the mast, and puts the lights where they can be serviced without going all the way aloft.
Old 13-01-2023, 18:05   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I am in a busy Anchorage for the first time in quite a while.

Looking around at anchor lights I see:

Boat 1: yellow flashing strobe on cabin top , no other light.

Boat 2: some Christmas lights strung around, some white and some red. No other light

Boat 3: some bluish colored light at the boom “twittering.” Sort of a chaotic strobe effect. Also some strung Christmas lights No other lights.

Boat 4: no lights at all

Boat 5: looks good plus spreaders lights

Remember all around white lights for anchoring? Times sure have changed.
Not really. Read the refs carefully. If it is an actually anchorage you DO NOT have to display an anchor light. If you are anchoring say in a cove that is not designated anchorage you must display a 360d anchor light.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2023, 18:09   #98

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post
Not really. Read the refs carefully. If it is an actually anchorage you DO NOT have to display an anchor light. If you are anchoring say in a cove that is not designated anchorage you must display a 360d anchor light.
There's only the case in a special anchorage, not anything marked on a chart as an anchorage. And only in the US. There are not many of these special anchorages, and it's still a good idea to display the light even though it's not required.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2023, 18:25   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
There's only the case in a special anchorage, not anything marked on a chart as an anchorage. And only in the US. There are not many of these special anchorages, and it's still a good idea to display the light even though it's not required.
You are correct this only applies in the US.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2023, 18:33   #100

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post
You most definitely do have to display an all-around white light where it is best seen. Which is the top of the mast typically by convention.

I don’t know where you were getting your information. But it only applies to a special Anchorage designated as such on the chart. There is nothing called a designated anchorage. Maybe you should read the regs (refs??) also. Lol

The special anchorage areas do not have anywhere to anchor a boat. They are mooring fields.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2023, 23:04   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
You most definitely do have to display an all-around white light where it is best seen. Which is the top of the mast typically by convention.

I don’t know where you were getting your information. But it only applies to a special Anchorage designated as such on the chart. There is nothing called a designated anchorage. Maybe you should read the regs (refs??) also. Lol

The special anchorage areas do not have anywhere to anchor a boat. They are mooring fields.
The top of the mast is not 'where it is can best be seen' by the people that need to see it - essentially other small craft - you are hardly going to have laden ULCCs tootling through your anchorage.

And what is this 'convention' of which you speak?

Side story - first and only time I have been to Nara Inlet - arrived in the dark - I was amazed at the number of houses and street lights at the head of the inlet.
That is what masthead anchor lights look like and what they blend in with - they are the work of the devil.
Old 14-01-2023, 01:08   #102

Boat: Island Packet 40

When maneuvering in a small vessel anchorage in the dark one needs to be able to constantly scan the surrounding waters for other vessels. This is not best done whilst attempting to ascertain the whereabouts of anchored vessels via anchor lights 50'-60' up in the air.

In these circumstances the lights indicating the whereabouts of an anchored vessel are best seen level with or slightly above or below the observers horizontal sight line.
Old 14-01-2023, 01:51   #103

Boat: Presto 36

There is no doubt that the REGs need to catch up to reality. The white masthead anchor lights, which now predominate, can easily be lost in the background of an illuminated cityscape. This is a well known issue. In a crowed anchorage, lights at eye level or slightly above, are more logical, visible and safer. Subsequently, different lights are needed for different circumstances and the REGs need to follow suit.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2023, 05:03   #104

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
Subsequently, different lights are needed for different circumstances and the REGs need to follow suit.
The collision regulations permit and even encourage the use of as many lights as you like when at anchor. There are only a few sensible limitations such as prohibiting flashing lights. However, you need to have one light (on our sized vessels) that meets the official regulations.

The regulations are simply a minimum standard. These days of low draw LED lights and large battery systems I would encourage the use of some additional lighting lower down to supplement the compulsory light that meets the standards.

So feel free to add your “different lights for different circumstances”. There is nothing stopping you doing this and boats entering or traversing the anchorage at night will appreciate this courtesy and of course will be less likely to inadvertently collide with your vessel.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2023, 05:25   #105

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Exactly, Nolex.

People can add any lights they want to. Except flashing yellow ones and other lights that are confused with different NAV lights.

But an all-around white light? You have to have that. That is the minimum requirement.

After that light up your boat however you want.

Personally, I like to have my deck well lit like a large boat does. I keep the spreader lights on. Illuminating the entire deck. At the very minimum I leave the salon lights on so that people can see windows. It’s the outlines that matter.

That way from any distance and any angle you can see it’s a boat.

It also depends on where you are anchoring. Some places you really only do need the masthead because you’re the only boat there and there’s no shoreside activity and wow does that stand out.

Also being in a very urban area right now I am noticing that the mast head lights actually stand out more than anything else. They are easily visible from half a mile away. They are higher than the rest of the lights ashore.

They are all clustered together and you can see where all of the boats are. So you would know to be alert when you get there.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags