Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2006, 22:21   #1

Why a P35?

Boy am I having my problems with this website. First, it kicks me off and won't let me back on, in fact won't even talk to me. So I reregister under a different name. The first post I try to make, it posts it without me telling it to. Hopefully changing key boards will work better as I've already changed the computer.

Why a P35??? I like the looks of the classic CCA boats, a full keel with attached rudder, have a dream of eventually sailing in thin water, want a boat that tracks well, not a lightweight, want a tiller and must be able to stand up to long ocean passages. In my research, found I liked the Bristol 40 the best. Made an offer on one but couldn't agree on the terms. After further thought, have decided it's just too much boat.

That brought me back to Tartan 34's, Bristol 35's and 32's, Nicholson 31 and 32, and a few others. Initially I wanted the T34c because of the quarter berth/Navigation area. On further thought, the tankage is a bit small, it's not a full keel, most have Atomic 4's, and it's a bit light for my tastes. Moved on to the Allied Seawind because it's such a pretty boat. Couldn't find one on the left coast and the istings are a bit pricey even for non upgraded boats. The Bristol 35 was another choice but they are scarce on the West Coast and few are centerboard boats. They are also a bit pricey.

Moved on to the P35. It's got good tankage, displacement is a bit heavier, the looks have grown on me, it's a full keel, most are diesels, the water line length is a little longer and they have a reputation for strength. Of course, most have wheel steering which I really hate. Have discovered a way to ditch the wheel for only about one boat unit so can get rid of it if my feelings don't change. Last but not least, there are a couple on the Left Coast. Finally got a chance to sail on one that was pretty much loaded for cruising with full tanks, all chain anchor rode, etc. and performance was acceptable, actually good in the light winds and lumpy seas we went out in.

So that's the story. How have you found the P35??. Might want to email me off list roverhi at yahoo dot com. We won't bore everyone else looking for windvane information, that way.

Aloha
Peter O.
hirover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 23:24   #2

Well you could start by deleting the other post that you originally started first?

I love the looks of some of the classic boats too!!

Don't know enough about them. But, I just like the way they look!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote