Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 11:15   #1
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Wrinkles. When are they fast and when are they slow?

I've sailed with polyester sails lots and understand adjustment by stretching. I understand rotating masts and bendy masts and how they affect shape. If you ease off the main halyard in light air, for example, the sail becomes for full and powerful. There are some wrinkles across the bottom, but they do little harm and the sail is faster than if you stretched it tight.

But I'm guessing this does not really apply to laminate sails. They stretch, but far less. For example, if I really yank on the downhaul to eliminate these wrinkles (basically balancing the mainsheet and outhaul tension) I don't see much change in draft or draft position. The shape is more baked into the sail by the cut. Thus, I assume the goal is normally to reduce wrinkles, since they are not the result of any beneficial shape manipulation by stretching (or not stretching) and they will disrupt air flow. In fact, eliminating wrinkles probably takes you closer to the original design shape. Smooth seems fast.

Let's think about sheet metal. It will wrinkle if the fit is poor or if we ask it to make a compound curve.

* Jib. When the sail is first hoisted the luff was straight. When the wind comes up the luff is curves (sags), reducing the straight line distance between between the head and tack. If we don't pretension the sail it will bunch up on the forestay. These wrinkles are primarily horizontal and don't hurt much. We need to be cautious of over tensioning the sail if there is a furler; they don't like rolling under high load.

* Main, square top. The leach is falling away, requiring the top of the sail to take a potato chip shape if there is any design fullness (broadseam). Unless the sailmakers cuts this area very flat, the molded-in compound curve is violated.

* Mainsail, tack and sliders. Often wrinkle radiate from these (polyester too), and the cause is often that the tack or reef grommet is not tight forward, but has been pulled aft by the outhaul. Even sheetmetal would wrinkle, because you have pulled it out of square. The tack and Cunningham tackles need to pull forwards as well as down. Reef tackles too. A very common shortcoming.

I agree that there is some bias stretch, but those specific wrinkles could exist without stretch. It is both.

The question is whether stretching a laminate sail to remove wrinkles has any material effect on shape, or whether the wrinkles are generally the result of either poor fit or incorrect installation/rigging.

(I've intentionally skipped a lot of factors for brevity. It's just a forum tickler. Mast bend. Rotation. Headboard misalignment. Forgive me.)

---

I'm ordering a new laminate main, not because I don't like my current one, but because it is showing signs of delamination. It's old but still has a nice shape. Until it blows ....

I no longer race, but I still like going fast, and even more importantly, pointing high.
Old Today, 12:02   #2

Boat: J/88
Re: Wrinkles. When are they fast and when are they slow?

With our 3Di Raw main we end up with what look like overbend wrinkles which can be removed by a little cunningham without really looking like I have changed the location of the draft to me.
I have had the same thought as you are raising so I look forward to the answers. Somewhere in YouTube land I heard a sail expert say a Cunningham was not a wrinkle remover so I am listening!
Old Today, 13:10   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Wrinkles. When are they fast and when are they slow?

Take a look at the mainsails used in the 2024 Olympics. Wrinkles must be fast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	470.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	293080  
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote