Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2020, 16:31   #76

Re: Adding Bleach to RO Water

I put 1/2 cup Clorox in my 90 gallon tanks.
That keeps the bugs out then I have a charcoal water filter that takes the chlorine out before the faucet. So if you use that water to flush your water make it should not have chlorine in it.
sailorman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 17:05   #77
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

https://www.laballey.com/products/bu...d-1-pint-29-90

That is $240 per gallon.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 20:49   #78

Boat: Privilege 482

We are very careful to try and keep chlorine away from our membranes. We intentionally never add bleach to our RO water. Never had a need to, as the water is always clean (stainless steel tanks, so perhaps the lack of any light keeps the algae away). 8 years of living primarily off RO and captured rainwater (also goes into the tanks), and no one in the family seems the worse for it.

I get concerned when we are forced to use municipal water with chlorine in it. But by the time we need to use/flush the water maker typically several weeks will have passed and the chlorine should have come out by then. Also, we'll only make water when the tank is very low, so any residual chlorinated water will be diluted heavily by the new RO product water. We also try to use only one tank for municipal water, and the other tank is kept on rain or RO water that can be used to flush. The water maker filter for the backflush does have an activated charcoal cartridge in it, but I don't trust it to get everything, hence the cautious procedures we take.
Old 07-12-2020, 23:44   #79
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillroller View Post
100 % Alcohol as potable spirit drink. NO CHANCE. It is extremely expensive to make 99% alcohol Or even 95% I know I used to buy it for my hospital Pharmacy. It may have been 100 degrees "proof spirit" which would be approx. 50% V/V. By distillation the max strength is c60/70 %. after that you have to work harder. You can buy 190proof "Grain Spirit @ 50£ sterling for 750ml. Pretty expensive? R.
Minor correction, it is quite simple to distill alcohol (ethyl alcohol) to about 93% pure (ie ABV).

Cheap as chips to make but most of the price of these high alcohol spirits is excise tax which is usually levied by the percentage of alcohol.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:22   #80

Boat: CAL 35 III
Send a message via Skype™ to ejjawhite

At about 25 ppm, most people will be able to smell chlorine in water.
ejjawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 13:35   #81

Boat: Schionning Wilderness 1480

I use a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and colloidal silver
com5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 21:08   #82

Boat: Hunter Legend 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timethief View Post
I am going to presume he is using powdered Chlorine, not liquid.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaah
TheWindsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 21:45   #83

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

I used to work with chlorine. The gas.
Neither powderable nor liquid at room temperature. Really nasty stuff. Not as bad as fluorine., arsine, phosphine, or tri-methyl aluminum which I also worked with.
That’s not what we might put in our water.
We put in compounds that break down into chlorine and other constituents. The chlorine kills things. Dead. That’s why it’s good.
And why it’s bad. Leetle bit? Good. Kills bugs. Lots? Bad for people.
Balance.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 04:30   #84

Boat: 2006 34' PDQ Powercat

Just remember, if you have an aluminum water tank like my boat, bleach corrodes aluminum.
Old 26-02-2021, 16:55   #85
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
So 25 years of water treatment experience and training tells me to maintain a small free chlorine level in my water system. This is easy when filling the tanks from city water, but now I am using my watermaker.

Yes there is a carbon filter in the wm flush system to remove chlorine as we know that kills the membrane. I long ago installed a small standard carbon drinking water filter as i used to maintain a fairly high chlorine level because that water would be in the tanks a long time. I know for a fact via testing that it removed the chlorine, but if not all it effected really was taste.

So for cruisers using RO, are you adding a little bleach etc. to your water tanks, which course gets used for RO flushing later?

And yes I understand some make extra water in a bucket and then use that.
So in the end ....................... I added the bleach.

Tags
water