Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2017, 06:38   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Advice on meals on Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
Edit: it might have been a full scottish but I was in no condition to tell.....
Was that with the deep fried Mars Bars in batter too :-)
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 17:36   #47

One interesting idea that I have seen, but not tried, is canning meals. Canning dosen't mean putting food in a tin can, but sterilising it in a sealed container, so you can use sealable jars.

You make bolognese, chilli, etc whatever and put it in a jar in a pressure cooker at 130C. It stores indefinitely at room temp. Then when you want the meal you just pour into a pot and heat. Aparently it isn't as nice as fresh food, but since you're making it yourself, you can add spices etc which make it much tastier than normal tinned food. Has anybody else tried it?

Canning is a bit tricky so read up on how to do it first.

Another good idea I've seen is to prep food beforehand and store ready to put in the pot. E.g. pre cut veggies and storing them in a single bag and pre cut meat for another bag. You can then just add to a pot and cook.

Have fun!!!
Mozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:06   #48

Boat: 1989 Catalina 36

Our current cruising/liveaboard grounds are cold, so my recc may not apply, lol. Pressure cooker of nice hot soup, decanted straight into thermoses.

turtletraveling.com
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:45   #49

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozzie View Post
One interesting idea that I have seen, but not tried, is canning meals. Canning dosen't mean putting food in a tin can, but sterilising it in a sealed container, so you can use sealable jars.

You make bolognese, chilli, etc whatever and put it in a jar in a pressure cooker at 130C. It stores indefinitely at room temp. Then when you want the meal you just pour into a pot and heat. Aparently it isn't as nice as fresh food, but since you're making it yourself, you can add spices etc which make it much tastier than normal tinned food. Has anybody else tried it?

Canning is a bit tricky so read up on how to do it first.

Another good idea I've seen is to prep food beforehand and store ready to put in the pot. E.g. pre cut veggies and storing them in a single bag and pre cut meat for another bag. You can then just add to a pot and cook.

Have fun!!!
we can quite a byou've cooked it properly and it uses a lot of gas to pressure cook it all - so better done when ashoreit and it works fine, but you need to be sure

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 22:32   #50

Boat: Lots of boats.

I'm a can man. But then again, I'm not crossing oceans. Also dry goods. Mac and cheese (bagged noodles) can be mixed with canned tuna or chicken to make a yummy one pot meal. Change it up with spaghetti sauce or curry. It doesn't take much space and no refrigeration needed. But I am looking into an ice maker. I'd rather put any excess electricity into cold and frozen beverages, than refrigeration for food storage.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 23:51   #51

Boat: 1989 Catalina 36

Even circumnavigators spend most of their time in port or anchored out...how long a stretch will you be traversing big blues?

turtletraveling.com
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 07:34   #52

Boat: Com-Pac Eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Mason View Post
Just for a different perspective, we wanted to eat like we eat ashore, with familiar tastes and products. We were warned the tiff you don't eat spam ashore, you won't eat it offshore either. We canned. In jars, cheese in brine, butter in brine, ground meat, sausages, rotisserie chicken, pickled beets, anything we fancied. 120 jars, in old socks, stashed away with a map of location. Crossings became a simple fact of opening a jar making whatever you wanted with minimal cooking. We had a 2 cup electric cappuccino maker, 10 minutes on the inverter, with non refrigerated milk, lovely for the 2-6 watch. Eggs sold unrefrigerated stayed unrefrigerated during passage, limiting cold needs, and accessing the cold space. Be creative and you will be thankful. Always wore rain paints and an apron in the galley during passage cooking.
We enjoy canning as well, and can pre-made stews and chilis. I haven't tried canning any dairy, and a quick search yielded this result,

https://www.clemson.edu/extension/fo...-products.html

Someone else mentioned pressure cookers. Yes! These make the most efficient use of fuel.

I suggest perhaps powdered milk, eggs, and cheese for use in recipes. Cheers!
NCGunDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 07:59   #53

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
Even circumnavigators spend most of their time in port or anchored out...how long a stretch will you be traversing big blues?
4 weeks galapogos to marquesas. 3 weeks panama to galapogos Atlantic was 3 weeks.

and when making passages, it is a good idea to carry an additional 50% of food more than you think you need.

Finally - food can be very expensive on island (the caribbean is ungodly expensive) so bringing yuor own will certainly help keep costs down

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meals, passage