Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 15:49   #1

Boat: Hunter 33' "Redbeard"
Alcohol Stove Conversion

i have a pressurized alcohol stove that is having burner issues and frankly i dont like burning alcohol enough to resolve them, I see my only 2 options (for me anyway) are kerosene and propane i am going to have a propane grill anyway so a central tank with 2 lines might not be terrible BUT im doing this refit on a song and a dance so $$ is low i know it will be at least a grand to buy a whole system whether it be kerosene or propane but are there conversion kits to use the existing stove body/frame and simply replace the burners? maybe in the case of kersoene sinply replace the burners and contiinue to use the same pressure tank? Anybody done this before? thanks for any thoughts/suggestions
Redbeard33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 16:28   #2

Boat: Prout Manta 38
On our previous boat, a Catalina 27, we replaced the old pressurized alcohol stove with an Origo non-pressurized alcohol stove. It worked great for 5 years and was still going strong when we sold the boat. No moving parts. If you are on a budget, you may want to look at these. We were able to drop in the new one into the old spot with only a little jimmying.

Kimarah
Kimarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 16:42   #3

I have considered that option but I am planning on extended cruising for 2-3 years and would prefer something with a little more "get up and go" that would be better suited for use 2-3 times daily
Old 09-09-2010, 17:05   #4

Boat: seawind II Patience
Should work but kerosene burners are pricy & difficult to find marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 17:29   #5

prohibitively so? how about propane?
Old 09-09-2010, 18:21   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
If you're handy, lurk around the RV suppliers or craigslist. Buy on old RV propane stove/oven and put it's guts into your old stove. Nothing will fit perfectly, but with some creativity and careful working you can make this work.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 19:13   #7
Scurvy Dog

I converted my Princess pressure alcohol stove to kerosene by switching out the burners. After investigation, I could have just switched out the burner nipple, the rest of the burner assembly is pretty much the same. I like my kerosene double burner. It does take preheating with alcohol, but once burning blue, it is hot and reliable. I use mineral spirits. Kerosene burners are becoming hard to find.

Always use a new fiber washer or aluminum washer when changing out burner assemblies, they usually will leak if you don't.
Skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:12   #8

great im glad someone else had done it before its good reassurance, also if i cant find and kerosene burners that RV idea is great, i love this forum it really gets alot of minds thinking about the problem from different angles, now ive looked for a few hours online without any luck finding burners of this sort only regulators for drip pot diesel stoves, can anybody point me in the right direction for pressurized kerosene burners?
Old 10-09-2010, 06:21   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Kerosene Stoves

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:20   #10

thanks gord! thats exactly what i needed, i just ordered one of the solid brass self contained stoves if its of the quality shown ill buy 2 more and build a gimballed mount for 2 reserving one as a spare, if not its only $50 and i can justify it as a back up to whatever system i go with.......THANKS AGAIN!
Old 10-09-2010, 09:32   #11
Scurvy Dog

Marine Stoves and Heaters

You might want to consider this option, rather than buying two new kerosene burners which will cost well over $100.

C-OVEN Outdoor Camp Oven 2 Burner Range And Stove - Camp Chef

I have heard that they are cheaper on ebay and amazon.
Skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:21   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oddly enough, the Camp Chef “C-Oven Outdoor Camp Oven 2 Burner Range and Stove" is for Outdoor Use ONLY.

http://www.campchef.com/docs/downloa...se_Booklet.pdf

Old 10-09-2010, 10:50   #13

Boat: Crowther Bucaneer 33, Trevor Banks 44 trimaran
Gord - I think you will find that anything that burns fuel will have that warning or similar, like for use in well ventilated space only. Campers with a stove inside a tent would offer another level of danger due to the flammability of the tent or camper.

I bought one of these at Costco for $149 for my Tri and It is really well made, with almost all of it stainless. Don't know how long it will last, but at this price one every couple of years would be way ahead of the curve for marine stoves. The parts list says you can buy replacement burners, etc., for pretty reasonable rates. I had a force 10 on another boat and the burners rusted away in about 4 years at sea. I may just buy an extra set of them and keep em preserved until needed.
AntiqueTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:32   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
If you have a source for Kerosene burners let me know. I haven't been able to find any and understand that no one is making them any longer.

I've been cooking on pressure kero stoves for many decades and love them. Unfortunately, may be forced to convert when my stash of burners gets used up. Hopefully that won't be for a long time.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:41   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiqueTri View Post
Gord - I think you will find that anything that burns fuel will have that warning or similar, like for use in well ventilated space only...
The warning is quite specific: "for Outdoor Use ONLY."