Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2016, 00:53   #16

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36
Re: american propane tank air release value

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You sure you are not trying to put in CNG? Sure sounds like it.
I think CNG would blow a propane tank up right away, and its been years bit I think they ran cars off of CNG when I was in Europe and not propane?
In my experience Cng tanks had charcoal in them for less volatile filling issues.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 19:06   #17

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38
Re: American Propane Tank Air Release Value

It sounds like some extreme caution needs to be used here! As a licensed LP gas tech, with 20 years of practice, I would not be venting LP from the bleed valve. Propane will flow like water and pool in low areas just waiting for an ignition source. I can tell you from personal experience that you will remember the experience if your vented vapor finds a spark.

The bleed screw is used to vent air from new tanks when initially filled, and should only be done in the proper environment.

LP has a vapor pressure that is dependent on temperature. When liquid propane (LP) is pumped into a tank containing vapor the vapor will condense to liquid as the pressure increases. No need to vent anything!
If you need to fill your tank from a source without a pump, set the feed tank in the sun and the tank to be filled in cold water. Most tanks now have an OPD VALVE that will prevent filling the tank more than 80 % full of liquid, thus leaving room for thermal expansion when you remove it from the cold.
Above all, realize that if you fail to respect the dangers of LP you will likely learn a painfull lesson.

When teaching , I had a shirt that read " if you see me running, try to keep up!"
Old 20-09-2016, 20:55   #18

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

FYI - CNG pressures can reach up to 4500 psi. Propane should never be over 150 psi. A propane bottle would blow up under CNG pressures. You need to find out what you are working with.

I'm a CNG tech.
Old 20-09-2016, 22:02   #19

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post
It sounds like some extreme caution needs to be used here! As a licensed LP gas tech, with 20 years of practice, I would not be venting LP from the bleed valve. Propane will flow like water and pool in low areas just waiting for an ignition source. I can tell you from personal experience that you will remember the experience if your vented vapor finds a spark.

The bleed screw is used to vent air from new tanks when initially filled, and should only be done in the proper environment.

LP has a vapor pressure that is dependent on temperature. When liquid propane (LP) is pumped into a tank containing vapor the vapor will condense to liquid as the pressure increases. No need to vent anything!
If you need to fill your tank from a source without a pump, set the feed tank in the sun and the tank to be filled in cold water. Most tanks now have an OPD VALVE that will prevent filling the tank more than 80 % full of liquid, thus leaving room for thermal expansion when you remove it from the cold.
Above all, realize that if you fail to respect the dangers of LP you will likely learn a painfull lesson.

When teaching , I had a shirt that read " if you see me running, try to keep up!"
Our company insurance carrier required all gas techs to wear cotton long sleeve shirts and cotton pants year round. No synthetics. In the case of fire injuries cotton does not stick to skin as synthetics do. I cringe when when I see fools smoking near fuel stations.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 07:02   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post

excellent -- thanks - we know we can get it filled in Istanbul with a tank to tank but in Romania they use really hi pressure and did not work - not tried Bulgaria yet - that is for Monday (in 2 days)
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, propane