Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2022, 03:30   #91

Re: An Apparently Stupid Way to Make Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainKing View Post
Or just don't invert the Aeropress and use it the way it was intended. Bobble press looks like it's pretty much just a french press.
So is the Aeropress, only the AP has more parts and is less stable, regardless the orientation. BTW my coffee is Bustelo, very fineground, not “course”
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:21   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
So is the Aeropress, only the AP has more parts and is less stable, regardless the orientation. BTW my coffee is Bustelo, very fineground, not “course”
Bustelo is very convenient - vacuum packed and lasts for many months. Bricks are easy to stow. Works great in Aeropress. We use a small (0.5 liter/700w) electric tea kettle to heat water. Much of the appeal is very little cleanup compared to French Press. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221205_041859_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	268349
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 06:11   #93
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

If you don’t know what moka is or means, you should study it.

Only a Bialetti makes moka; other similar looking contraptions often don’t even work anywhere similar.

Hint: the origins of what is considered the best coffee today.

That said, there are two electric coffeemakers that have been allowed to call themselves moka machines. One is the Dutch MoccaMaster by Technivorm which normally wins 1st price. We have this one, love it, but like the OP’s appliance, not very handy on a sailboat.

The second one is from Japan, the Zojirushi Fresh Brew Plus. We own this one as well and it’s perfect for use aboard.

These machines achieve the moka results by being very accurate in water temperature, exact speed of brewing, even the pattern in which water is sprayed over the grinds. You can find good tests online.

But a Bialetti or a machine isn’t enough: it is about using good coffee and grinding it fresh, right before brewing. Ashore we use a fancy Breville grinder but aboard the old fashioned Proctor Silex which is sold out most of the time (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SB8M0E)

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 06:36   #94

This is my favorite way to make coffee. But it takes too long. And the glass is a problem to clear.
Let 90% of the water boil off the bottom, then reduce heat. allow the now boiling water to mix in the top with the coffee grounds (make sure to put ground in the top first. also make sure ground are not too small - can clog the filter).
after 1-2 min, turn off heat and allow the coffee to drain down leaving grounds in the top. Makes the best coffee since water touching the coffee never boils. Just about 200degrees since steam pushes coffee up. This supposedly reduces bitterness in the coffee and gets it to ideal temps. experiment with time it takes to make coffee to your liking.
paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 06:41   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
I'll stick to the French press of I can't run the Mr Coffee. A lot simpler.
A while back I saw an interesting video from a guy who is supposedly world renown coffee expert. He said when using a French Press DO NOT PRESS IT DOWN. Pressing it down releases acid from the bean. I tried it and I think he’s right.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 06:49   #96

I'll stick with my chorreador, no moving parts and essentially indestructible plus brews a great cup!
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 06:53   #97

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Well that Glas version in Post #1 looks more like a drug lab equipment renamed to be able to sell officially :-)

We use the Nespresso Pixie capsule machine with refillable capsules plus I have capsules as backup for bad weather conditions. We do milk coffee most of times with the commercial milk foam maker from nesspresso too. Seperate machines and easy to clean.
For everyday use for 2 we use the refillable capsules at anchor or at calm sea state, if sh.. hits the fan we have the plastic capsules. Safest way of making coffee when you really need one (and a lot) and not make a mess. Sure we refill the refillable ones for passage and when it’s calm and use them first. Much less garbage and cheaper.
If we get visitors/a lot crew I use the Italian setup, have a big 10cup stainless version as I need that for the induction stove.
Have a 2nd Pixie as spare, so always a working machine…coffee is important.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:16   #98

I think that the Japanese are known as tea people. Perhaps you are better to look to the Italians. We have an espresso maker that we use on the boat all the time. Two chamber stainless steel with a coffee holder in the middle. Water heating in the bottom is forced up through the coffee to the top chamber. Superb. We like milk with our coffee so we heat some in a small pot, pour it into a coffee bodum and yank the plunger up and down. The result is a very foamy hot milk that when mixed with the espresso coffee makes a gorgeous cappucino.
dalemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:27   #99

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecapes View Post
Not sure why you call it stupid. You'll find similar setups at many specialty coffee shops in Japan. They love their Blue Mountain.

tips

https://acquiredcoffee.com/japanese-...ewing-methods/

Japanese legacy

https://coffeebeanroad.com/the-best-...coffee-makers/
Yes but totally nonsensical on a yacht..
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:47   #100

Boat: HR43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Here you are:

Attachment 268076
I have a variation with a glass stopper. That is pushed up on boiling and sucked down once heat is removed.

Definitely makes the best coffee for me.
bdgWesternMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:58   #101
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

For the many years of cruising I did, I drank instant coffee or tea from tea bags or leaves...and focused my attention on how well I could make my boat look and how best to make passages....
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:06   #102

We cruised Mexico for 10 years and used a simple 10 cup percolator on our propane stove, always had great coffee every morning....of course I'm not a coffee expert like a lot of folks....I like 2 cups in the morning...
sailcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:11   #103

At home, we use our Bunn, commercial, drip coffee maker and our Gaggia semi automatic espresso maker and grind our coffee beans in our Capresso burr grinder. On our little 25 foot sloop it’s instant coffee granules and boiling water. I envy those of you with beautiful, big sailboats!
Giro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:11   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I would prefer the original Italian version.. same principle but a lot more rugged..
This is an expresso maker and yes, they are simple, rugged and work well.

For regular coffee I use a double walled stainless French press. Again very rugged, makes 4 good sized cups, keeps warm a while and has a double filter. Great coffee. And both are SIMPLE. Both a available on Amazon.

Follow the direction. It works!
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:19   #105

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

I use a stainless stove top percolater with a Melita paper filter at the base of the basket. It takes about 20 minutes to make a pot of coffee. Trick is to turn the heat down once it starts to boil. I put it on the small burner of my Force 10 propane and the flame is focused at the center of the pot causing a slow, low heat perk. No breakage concern with a stainless pot, except possibly the glass view cap, easily replaced.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote