Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2022, 20:38   #121

Boat: Still building
Re: An Apparently Stupid Way to Make Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Being from a country not ever having been deprived of tea by the excesses of a bunch of Boston vandals i drink both hot tea with milk and sugar and coffee, both of which I make in a french press, it uses far less tea leaf to make it that way and strains them all out (The use of tea bags to make tea is an abhorrent practice only indulged in by complete philistines)

I'm something of a tea connoiseur - and I happily use tea bags.

Expensive, top shelf, tea bags - usually Twinings Orange Pekoe.

I used to be a 'leaf only' man, but one day I tried them back to back and could not tell any appreciable difference (except temperature, the tea bag version was hotter), so I no longer bother with the tea leaves except on rare, special occasions.

But I agree - "ordinary" tea bags are devil spawn, made from the scrapings off the tea merchants warehouse floor - and taste like it also!

I alos drink my tea from a fine bone china cup which - contrary to science - does make it taste better.

Not sure what it is about the bone china cup, but tea from a mug, even a douuble-walled mug, is not quite 'right' - or is in any case 'different' to the regular 'bone china cup brew'.

And the bone china cups have to be form Duchess pottery. Usually Winchester pattern.

I'm not fussy at all..!! Really..!! lol
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 12:16   #122

Coffee...what an amazing beverage and so many ways to skin the coffee cat. We are energy conscientious, not having a generator or solar. We have a double stainless steel french press, scale to weigh beans and a usb charged coffee grinder, which I am enjoying very much here in Seattle. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've used a moka pot (didn't prefer taste), aeropress (good, too small portion for me), moccamaster (electric, good) and these days prefer a good ole french press regardless of being at home or on boat / simple, tasty, portion friendly. I use a fancy burr grinder at home but don't notice a difference using the usb boat grinder...maybe my taste buds aren't that sophisticated.
bekoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 15:30   #123

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
I'm something of a tea connoiseur - and I happily use tea bags.

Expensive, top shelf, tea bags - usually Twinings Orange Pekoe.

I used to be a 'leaf only' man, but one day I tried them back to back and could not tell any appreciable difference (except temperature, the tea bag version was hotter), so I no longer bother with the tea leaves except on rare, special occasions.

But I agree - "ordinary" tea bags are devil spawn, made from the scrapings off the tea merchants warehouse floor - and taste like it also!

I alos drink my tea from a fine bone china cup which - contrary to science - does make it taste better.

Not sure what it is about the bone china cup, but tea from a mug, even a douuble-walled mug, is not quite 'right' - or is in any case 'different' to the regular 'bone china cup brew'.

And the bone china cups have to be form Duchess pottery. Usually Winchester pattern.

I'm not fussy at all..!! Really..!! lol

I love coffee, but . . . with all the Brits and Russians on board my boat, the boat runs on tea, much more than coffee, however much I love it. We have a -- I kid you not -- dedicated tea locker.

We do leaf, bags, whatever. Everything from Yorkshire Tea and Tetley to $1000 sachets of rare Chinese stuff brought from Guanzhou by one guest and everything in between (Pukka is a good compromise).

No bone china on board, but it tastes great from our plastic nonskid sailor mugs. Especially at zero dark hundred on the night watch when it's peeing down cold rain.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 23:54   #124
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I love coffee, but . . . with all the Brits and Russians on board my boat, the boat runs on tea, much more than coffee, however much I love it. We have a -- I kid you not -- dedicated tea locker.

We do leaf, bags, whatever. Everything from Yorkshire Tea and Tetley to $1000 sachets of rare Chinese stuff brought from Guanzhou by one guest and everything in between (Pukka is a good compromise).

No bone china on board, but it tastes great from our plastic nonskid sailor mugs. Especially at zero dark hundred on the night watch when it's peeing down cold rain.

Good Barry’s leaf tea for me
Old 09-12-2022, 00:06   #125

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
I'll stick to the French press of I can't run the Mr Coffee. A lot simpler.
Yep. I was going to say it looks like it could be put to better uses.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 01:50   #126

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I'm sitting here at anchor in St. Lucia, enjoying my first cup of coffee of the day (24g per 400ml, ground at 17 clicks on a Comandante, Ethiopian Sidamo light [home roast ed], from a Hario V60 with a non-bleached filter) and perusing this coffee thread on a sailing forum with 126 posts and still going strong. What a world we live in!
Old 09-12-2022, 02:00   #127

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I'm sitting here at anchor in St. Lucia, enjoying my first cup of coffee of the day (24g per 400ml, ground at 17 clicks on a Comandante, Ethiopian Sidamo light [home roast ed], from a Hario V60 with a non-bleached filter) and perusing this coffee thread on a sailing forum with 126 posts and still going strong. What a world we live in!

Well, it's cruising, not camping. If you love your coffee -- why not?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 10-12-2022, 07:18   #128

America's Test Kitchen review of drip coffee makers. Detailed testing description and why-it-matterd is interesting

They liked the MokaMaster for around $325. Also the Oxo for $175. Both have stainless carafes.

https://youtu.be/sWMOt28Nti0
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 13:22   #129

Boat: Island Packet 40

I thought about getting a bamboo mat, the kimono, and a full set of delicate, hand made cups and bowls and a whiny CD for the stereo to be able to do a full Japanese tea ceremony and then thought, I'm on a rolly old mono and the bowls and cups would just get broken so bugger it and settled on half a teaspoon of Bushells Blue Label (Extra Strong) in a SS French press into an insulated plastic cup with a lid to keep the rain out.
Old 10-12-2022, 15:02   #130
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
I thought about getting a bamboo mat, the kimono, and a full set of delicate, hand made cups and bowls and a whiny CD for the stereo to be able to do a full Japanese tea ceremony and then thought, I'm on a rolly old mono and the bowls and cups would just get broken so bugger it and settled on half a teaspoon of Bushells Blue Label (Extra Strong) in a SS French press into an insulated plastic cup with a lid to keep the rain out.
Arr! That'll put hairs on yer chest and plaque on yer teeth, matey!
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 15:12   #131
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
America's Test Kitchen review of drip coffee makers. Detailed testing description and why-it-matterd is interesting

They liked the MokaMaster for around $325. Also the Oxo for $175. Both have stainless carafes.

https://youtu.be/sWMOt28Nti0
Also the Zojirushi but another model than I listed, which is out the the price range they tested I think.

The MoccaMaster always wins these tests.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 10:46   #132

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Also the Zojirushi but another model than I listed, which is out the the price range they tested I think.

The MoccaMaster always wins these tests.
Learn something every day. I always assumed the Moccamaster was some kind of "artisan" garage built overpriced thing, local to Finland where it's sold everywhere. Now I know better!
Walt Whitman
Old 11-12-2022, 16:58   #133

Quote:
Lol.

If you really do want to try authentic Japanese matcha (the tea used in the tea ceremony), you don't have to go through all of the rigamarole. Just bring some water to a boil, pour it into a thermos*, add the appropriate amount of tea, shake and enjoy!

Matcha is not like most teas. It consists of finely ground tea leaves which are suspended in the water - not steeped like many other teas. This means that when you drink Matcha, you are consuming the leaf and all of its goodness. It also means that it's easy to make. There's no need to filter it. In fact, you don't want to do that. Just mix it with water and drink it!

Matcha is my favorite tea. I also like sencha, which is the most popular tea in Japan. However, sencha is steeped just like black tea - so it comes with all the drawbacks of having to steep a beverage on board.

If you really want the highest quality Japanese green tea, I recommend Ippodo.

Cheers!
Sean C.

*The proper water temperature for matcha is 80°C. If you bring some water to a boil and then pour it into another container (such as a bowl or thermos), it will be at 80°C. Trust me. I have a bamboo mat, a kimono, lots of delicate dishes and as many whiny CDs as you want.

--------------------------------------

EDIT:

BTW, here is a recipe for a matcha smoothie which is effing fantastic. But I recommend less simple syrup ... unless you really have a sweet tooth.

1. To a standard blender, add a teaspoon of Matcha, 4oz Half & Half, 5oz of German Rock Sugar Simple Syrup, and 16oz of ice (about a Perfect Tea Mug's full).

2. Pre-blend on low speed for about 30 seconds.

3. Blend on high for about 2 minutes until smooth consistency.

4. Pour into a Perfect Tea Mug and top off with whip cream and a dusting of Matcha powder.

German Rock Sugar Simple Syrup

In a 2 cup Perfect Tea Maker, add:

1. 1 cup German Rock Sugar

2. 1 cup hot water (208F)

3. Stir well and let sit until all sugar dissolves. About 5 minutes.

4. Strain, let cool in fridge and Ready to Use!

*We recommend for immediate use of simple syrup, use 'quick ice method' to bring temperature down. Fill Amandine pitcher with ice cubes, strain warm 16oz Perfect Tea Maker with dissolved sugar directly on Pitcher. Strain excess ice cubes with a mesh strainer, directly into a reusable container. Ready to use immediately. Simple syrup stays fresh in fridge for one week.
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 17:15   #134
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: An Apparently Stupid Way to Make Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
Yeah, but the Bialetti has the water boil *up* through the grounds and bubble over into the top pot, where it stays.
Once the lower pot is dry, it's ready to drink.
Gotta watch it....
Whereas the water bubbles up from the bottom, soaks through the grounds then back down.
When the bubbling goes dark brown remove, leave to stand for a minute then pour.. Gotta watch it..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 00:33   #135
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I would prefer the original Italian version.. same principle but a lot more rugged..
Agreed I have one on the boat now must be 50 years old by now still brews like the first cup