Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2011, 06:03   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Anyone Try Hydro or Aeroponics on Board ?

I've been doing a bit of a quick study on hydro and aeroponics for a non boat related project, and I got to wondering if any cruises/live aboards had given it a go on board?

I recognize its probably a stretch given the limited space, power and water on most small boats.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 17:48   #2

I saw on Youtube a video by a couple on a 28' Triton that was using an Aero setup along the rails using Pvc pipes. Looked interesting.
spostamento nobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 18:05   #3

Boat: Tartan 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobleshift View Post
I saw on Youtube a video by a couple on a 28' Triton that was using an Aero setup along the rails using Pvc pipes. Looked interesting.
Probably This Video...

Looks interesting but it doesn't seem like it would yield enough, often enough, to have any significant payoff.
Old 23-01-2011, 18:10   #4

I don't think he's growing spinach...
Old 23-01-2011, 23:45   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Probably This Video...

Looks interesting but it doesn't seem like it would yield enough, often enough, to have any significant payoff.
Thanks...pretty interesting video...
As far as significant payoff goes...from what I've learned, a well designed system could produce a large head of lettuce in 5 weeks (from seed).
So if you had 10 plants under various stages of growth you could harvest a head every 3-4 days.
In theory.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 00:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy

Probably This Video...

Yes, that's the one.
Old 24-01-2011, 00:45   #7

Theory yes, but I think salty spray would take care of that in short order. It would be nice to have along with the sprouts though.
Old 24-01-2011, 03:58   #8

Salt spray will def. kill most plants, so will too much humidity. If your living in a temperate climate and not sailing, it could be done quite easily. I guess with a system like the one in the video you could move the plants down below while sailing etc.. it could be done... I've been sprouting for quite a few years and it never gets old. Fresh veggies every day, seeds stored in large quantities and indefinitely. It's not the same as lettuce and tomatoes, but they can be delicious and cooked into or used on pretty much anything etc..

Here is a different boat garden that looks pretty cool. Sailing the Farm — Gardening
Old 27-01-2011, 00:01   #9
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom
From my experiences with Hydroponics at high school, I would say it's possible but the plants would have to be well sheltered while the boat is under way, I know for the sort of cruising we do it just wouldn't be practical, as we would have to throw the plants overboard every time we entered a new country.
If you were doing a longer international passage, maybe some herbs or wheatgrass would be possible?
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 20:22   #10

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
I've been doing a bit of a quick study on hydro and aeroponics for a non boat related project, and I got to wondering if any cruises/live aboards had given it a go on board?

I recognize its probably a stretch given the limited space, power and water on most small boats.
I think the SuretoGrowers Channel SureToGrowers channel is lot better. Also, if you look at about minute 6 of
this video, you'll see a way around the whole salt water issue, at least for the roots. Storing it below should protect the rest sufficiently. As for the non-boat project, have you looked at aquaponics? We're prototyping a system now.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 09:26   #11

Re: Anyone Try Hydro or Aeroponics on Board ?

Thanks all for the great info and provocative possibilities about onboard gardening.
Julie and I are considering a sizable Cat (45'+) to live aboard and travel extensively. Since we do not plan to spend much time in ports, and not sure as many of you are about the availability of fresh leafy greens to which our systems crave; growing these look enticing.
We are specifically considering the small countertop versions of hydroponic growers complete with timers, lights, waterers, etc.
Pricy, yes. But do they work?
We are thinking 3 of them on the ample window shelf space but before we invest the nearly 1k to try it, just wanted some feedback from our salty kindred.
Thanks!
Wanahini.
wanahini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:53   #12

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

https://youtu.be/oDYeffYcVkY

There are many YouTube videos on the kracty system. I plan on using 1 gallon recycled containers( all the videos on YouTube are saying lettuce only needs one gallon for its whole life. the hardest part about having a garden is watering it)Click image for larger version

Name:	1483285909317.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	138785Click image for larger version

Name:	1483285930084.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	138786Click image for larger version

Name:	1483285949720.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	138787 covered with mylar and using ether net cup or Publix yogurt cups with holes cut in the bottom. That way you can move them around very easily and also have plants in different stages of growth. I also have a self watering container that I fill with hydroponic solution. The tomatoes are Everglades which I thought might have been perennials but as you can see they're starting to die off. next year I'm going to go with sweet 100. I don't know why the photos came out twice. I also left Miami during Hurricane Matthew and stayed in an exposed Anchorage with 25 to 30 knots of wind for almost a month and it did not kill the plants. But I have high freeboard. I also had to tie them up out of the way of my Main sheet. And I have a clear shower curtain that I can throw over them if I was going into head Seas.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:54   #13

Boat: Nicholson 38

I would love to find a way to do this too. I already grow sprouts on the boat, easily done. And I have a big hydroponics system at home that provides my wife and me with almost all our greens - and we're vegan. It's a "nutrient thin film" technique with constant running water. No good on a boat.

The hard part I see is how to deal with the motion - we sail often, and often hard. I can't see plants surviving that well. Also, the liquids are an issue - but that one might be solved using what is called a flood and drain system. Periodically (several times a day), you flood the roots with nutrient solution, and then drain it into a container for safekeeping.

The Kratky method is simple and effective (I use it at home also) but you have a large volume of water in a partially filled container, and it's going to slosh around, probably damaging the root system. But at anchor it would be perfect. Yes, one gallon of solution will grow a lettuce head to maturity. I even did that with a 2L PET bottle, though I had to top it up a few times.

Finally, the plants take time and space. At home I have 40 linear feet of PVC pipe with about 50 plants going at any one time. It's just barely enough. Some crops like Kale, you just harvest a leaf or two indefinitely. Spinach, just take it all. Basil does really well.

I just realized that at sea or at anchor, there will probably be little trouble from pests and diseases. OMG that would be nice!

An alternative to consider is microgreens. But my efforts at that have been failures, don't know why.
Old 01-01-2017, 15:05   #14

Unfortunately the bugs manage to make it out to an anchored boat. And some diseases like mildew might even be worse. I figure if I use one gallon containers it shouldn't slosh around too much, and lettuce only takes about a month to grow so if there was a storm that hurt the lettuce it wouldn't be much of a loss. With my containers that have the reservoir in the bottom when I'm sailing I don't fill up the reservoirs I just water the soil everyday. Actually when at anchor I water every day with the reservoirs they just allow the plants to get exactly the right amount of nutrient solution. And in the summer you probably would have to water the soil 3 times a day to keep the Planters from drying out without a reservoir.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:33   #15

Okay here's my latest. You can't really see it but there's a hole drilled about an eighth of an inch from the bottom of the water jug. it's full of hydroponic solution and maintains about 1/8 of an inch in the bottom of the tray. I normally keep it just inside my companion way and I have to fill the jug about once a week. Click image for larger version

Name:	1485977566428.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	140501 by the way it's cilantro and mint that I bought at the local grocery store.