Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2011, 10:49   #46

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Re: Bahamas Provisioning

And don't forget that not having a freezer doesn't mean not having meats aboard. Canning meats is a viable option. I'll be doing the oncology tests and such shortly and while stuck ashore at the Kidlet's I'll process a year's worth of meats -- Come December I'll have on hand pork (barbecued, chunked and jerk), sausage (and hamburger) both plain and spicy Italian, turkey (stock and jerk), plus ham and last but not least, my taco soup and even lasagne!

It's a rough life afloat, but somehow we manage.
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 11:31   #47

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
And don't forget that not having a freezer doesn't mean not having meats aboard. Canning meats is a viable option. I'll be doing the oncology tests and such shortly and while stuck ashore at the Kidlet's I'll process a year's worth of meats -- Come December I'll have on hand pork (barbecued, chunked and jerk), sausage (and hamburger) both plain and spicy Italian, turkey (stock and jerk), plus ham and last but not least, my taco soup and even lasagne!

It's a rough life afloat, but somehow we manage.
I'm interested in your meat canning process. Do you use cans, jars, vacuum packs? Does it take special equipment?
Old 13-10-2011, 18:54   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amapola

I'm interested in your meat canning process. Do you use cans, jars, vacuum packs? Does it take special equipment?
We would can shredded beef, shredded pork and vegetable beef soup, It was one of my favorite things but it did require extra care when canning but I don't have the recipe  Hope someone else does!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 18:58   #49

Boat: 58
Re: Bahama's provisioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
If you drink beer... TAKE LOTS OF IT! It is VERY expensive in the Bahamas.

OR, switch to rum. M.
Agree. It can be $85.00 for a case of Kalik. If you think you'll drink three cases, bring six.

Ken
missnmountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 21:12   #50

Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amapola View Post
Hello Amapola... I'm using a standard 3-liter pressure cooker -- a small unit as it fits the size jars I prefer, specifically the wide mouthed l/2 pint Ball jars and the 1/2 cup glass jelly jars. I do not have vacuum packs though I've heard wonderful things about them for longer term dry-goods food storage.

Canning doesn't really save money so much as provide choices. That's the main reason I do it, though my stuff tends to be healthier/less fatty/better quality that most store-bought options. It is entirely possible to live without a freezer -- and canning can be a component in your provisions.
Old 14-10-2011, 04:43   #51

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
. . . Canning doesn't really save money so much as provide choices. That's the main reason I do it, though my stuff tends to be healthier/less fatty/better quality that most store-bought options. It is entirely possible to live without a freezer -- and canning can be a component in your provisions.
- - If you have a sailboat or boat that rocks and rolls underway, one trick I use is to put any "glass" bottles/containers/jars in athletic "tube socks" that I get at K-Marts or Walmart really cheap. That little bit of protection keeps the glass from rubbing/rattling and breaking.

- - IMHO, Canning is a good idea for those with boats without freezers or even a refrigerator. The whole idea, especially those budget cruisers is to avoid the added expense of buying the expensive food stuffs in the Bahamas.
- - The experiences and beauty of the Bahamas are well worth a little pre-preparation so you can go and enjoy it with or without frig/freezer.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 05:00   #52

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

We use a 23-quart pressure canner, which fits either 20 pints or 7 quart jars at once. Before we leave on a cruise we make up a lot of quart-size "one-jar" meals, like beef with cauliflower, or chicken with broccoli, or a good stew with multiple vegetables, etc. And then we can some pint and half-pint jars of pure ingredients, like just chicken, just pork, etc., which can be whipped up into any recipe on the boat.

Canning is fun, and a great skill to have in your quiver.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 13:26   #53

Isn't there some special time requirements for meat. I remember something about it being more difficult than acid foods like tomatoes, etc. How long do you keep them in the pressure cooker? Is there anything to look for? Problems to be careful to avoid ? You can tell I haven't canned in decades and a bit nervous!! I'm happy to have it in my quiver-I just don't want an arrow in my foot 
Old 15-10-2011, 14:16   #54

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

We pressure-canned our meats for at least 1 1/2 hours.

Here's a good guide, and if you Google around you'll find many other home canning sites with recipes and cooking advice.

CANNING MEAT THE RIGHT WAY
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 15:42   #55

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

I can many of the recipes we enjoy while on land to take to the Bahamas, like beef saurbraten, pork marango and smoked sausage/bean stew. The one thing I make sure of is that if a recipe calls for flour (usually for thickening) that I leave it out of the canned recipe and add it when I re-heat. There's something about it fermenting in the can and I don't want to take the chance. I use a big 23 qt. canner as well, and routinely 90minutes at pressure to safely can. Never lost a jar to spoilage (or breakage). Re-useable foam sleeves are available at truck rental supply stores. They use them for packing glasses. I use them for the jars.
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 18:10   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
Isn't there some special time requirements for meat. I remember something about it being more difficult than acid foods like tomatoes, etc. How long do you keep them in the pressure cooker? Is there anything to look for? Problems to be careful to avoid ? You can tell I haven't canned in decades and a bit nervous!! I'm happy to have it in my quiver-I just don't want an arrow in my foot 
Hello Chef! This really isn't too hard, but there are a couple things to insure success that I have learned over the past few years.
(with apologies, 'cause this will be long!)

#1) I have one pot filled with simmering water where I preheat the glass jars and lids.
#2) I have the guts (meats) hot too

Before starting to process the jars I put in empty jars and have the water level just below the rims of the jars. Remove jars. Now I know the water level to start with -- and yes, I have the water simmering BEFORE filling my jars and placing them in the pressure cooker.

I pre cook all the meats...
Sausage: I take Italian sausage and boil it (poking the skin to get out the grease) and my quantities are 3 lbs sausage to 1 pound lean ground beef. The sausage is sliced into chips (round, about 1/4" thick) and I fill the jars with a combination of sausage and ground beef so just a bit of the juice is required to fill the jar. And only a few of the jars do I add my sauce -- preferring to buy pizza sauce (no sugar/cheap!! -- check Walmart for $1.14 one pint glass jars over by the pihzza fixings)

For pork, I start with the boneless pork roasts (the cheap one) and pre-cook until it's no longer squishy but not done done. I use the pressure cooker, adding 1/2 cup water and process about 45 minutes (just to cook the pork -- this is before canning!)
Okay, THEN I slice into chunks about 5/8" inch thick -- these will be suitable for thinks like pork salad, pork steaks and fahitas -- it won't be shredded. Shoot for no longer soft as the pork will have shrunk and fill the jar with meat adding only enough broth to cover the meat. I manage to pack so full that seldom add more than 1 or 2 tablespoons.

Lasagne is made the "usual" way, sort of! First soak your lasagne noodles overnight (don't bother cooking, we just want to rehydrate 'em) -- in the morning add a tablespoon of your sauce to the bottom of a wide mouth 1/2 pint jar and then cheese, noodle, cheese, meat, onions, sauce, noodle, etc... just stack your layers in and when you're near the top of the jar add a bit of sauce around the edges to fill it. I use the low-fat mozzerella cheese and it's a-okay. By adding a lot of cheese on top of the sauce at the bottom when I get my lasagne hot, I can invert and the layers do hold together. It's like a breath of home especially when combined with some bread!

That's enough from me.
Oh, last but not least: I'm using 1/2 pint and 1/2 cup (jelly jars) as I prefer a single serving at a time. After filling the hot jars with hot food, put on lid, closing (but not tightly) add to pressure cooker. Close lid. When it comes up to puressure turn on the timer (60 minutes) and process.

At the end of 60 minutes using the tongs they sell for the purpose, I remove jars to a wire oven rack. You will see bubbles along the edges of your jars. A few minutes later (within ten) you'll hear a pop as the lids seal. Wait until they are cool and voila: You're done.

Old 15-10-2011, 18:50   #57

Thank you for the info on canning meat. The info and website gave a ton of info and made me feel I could try it. I love the ideas of what you can (lasagna?) can. I can't wait to try the meat and sausage for my husband's pasta recipe. These will really make cruising meals exciting!
Old 15-10-2011, 19:02   #58

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

I can see one major advantage to "pre-canning" meats, etc. for a trip to the Bahamas. After you climb out of the gin-clear water from swimming/snorkeling, you fix some sun-downers and pop open a jar of "canned" dinner after a little reheating - and voila - feet up on the cockpit coaming; a drink in one hand; and a dish of lasagna (or whatever) on your lap. Now that's cruising . . . .
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 19:14   #59

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Thank you for sharing your canning expertise Janice142!

Tags
Bahamas, provisioning