Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 08:30   #1
cruiser

Boat Drinks

What do you drink on board, of course only when on the hook.

Personally I love a Caipirinha: This is the most famous drink from Brazil and considered the national cocktail. Made with cachaça, sugar and lime juice, it can either be a refreshing cocktail or a strong one that might leave you regretting your started.

Nice link about Boat Drinks.

CeesH
CeesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:48   #2

Boat: Lagoon 420
Re: Boat Drinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeesH View Post
Personally I love a Caipirinha
Ah, yes! I tasted those for the first time in Sao Paulo about 8 years ago. They were a hit when I brought a bottle of pinga back to Canada with me when I returned. I don't think we can buy it in our liquor stores here.
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:23   #3

Boat: Sabre 42

Havana Club 7 year rum (only when out of U.S. waters - damn embargo).
Flor de Cana 7 Year Grand Reserve rum from Nicaragua (when in the U.S.)

Cheers!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:32   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38

We're pretty basic on our boat: boxed wine, gin & tonics, bottled domestic beer, and sometimes rum and something. Various rums from the Caribean that I sip neat as an after dinner drink once in awhile.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:37   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeesH View Post

That is just crazy talk!

I mostly drink beer on the boat, but it tends to be lighter type beers (ones that seen to be OK out of a CAN). I will do boxed wines, and have brought some hard stuff once in a while if easy to get it back to the boat.

I have a hard time coming up with new drinks to try. But my wife tried to solve ths problem this Christmas by getting me a Coaktail book. Now if I can only get myself to have to study something in order to just have a drink.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:42   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
That is just crazy talk!

+1
CeesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:02   #7

Boat: ISLANDER 41 DAWN TREADER

Our signature boat drink we call The Refugee Maker. Announcing the name before handing one out in the cockpit has a great effect on the sharpening of our guests focus. What is great to me about the drink is its adaptability to your location. You can use what you have locally as it is basically fruit juice and alcohol. Whatever local fruit juices (tropical fruit blends, light on the apple/cran types) are available, local booze (in Eritrea they had rum, in Israel vodka,etc.) add soda water to make it float down the gullet, and then the secret ingredient. That would be, after stirring the drink, to pour a floater of guava juice on the top and serve. The guava hides the alcohol aroma and fools the taste buds on that first exploratory sip. After two remember to help your guest back down into their dinghy.
TAREUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:42   #8

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

One year we spent the winter in the Bahamas. Before going I experimented and came up with a mixture for a rum punch: two parts pineappple juice, one part orange juice, two parts mango juice and two (or three) parts rum.

Since rum was cheap in the Bahamas but fruit juices were expensive, we stocked up with gallons before we left. Then I would make up a couple of quarts (once a week, maybe more ;-) and keep it in the fridge.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:53   #9

Boat: PT-11

Slightly OT, but on the can vs bottle beer thing, we thought when we went to a cat bottles would be safer but have found the opposite to be true. People are more likely to just stand a bottle up anywhere on a cat giving it a better chance of falling. Whereas on a mono, people seem to be more careful. We did not break any on our mono and two on our cat. As to drinks, I like what I call a frosty nipple - vodka, triple sec, cranberry (preferably the white kind) and lime juice in a cold glass.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:58   #10

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

There be NO beer or soft drinks aboard with us !! Water, juice, and of course a bunch of different Rums all Dark, and most of a Thick Jamaican style. And of course Coffee Beans !! The staple of life at sea! We use it both hot and cold, We buy our coffee beans from a Cali Company that has and still will ship us beans most everywhere we have been in the world for the last 20 yrs! When ya get used to this type of coffee ya just can't go back to anything else!! And of course Tea both hot and cold Mostly Iced tea,(if we have Ice LOL) You would be suprised how much room ya save when ya don't care for beer or soda !! LOL
Old 05-01-2013, 18:41   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Miller Lite in the cockpit when no great amount of traffic or hazards are nearby. Otherwise, nothing, alcoholic or otherwise, in my hands but tiller, sheets and winch handles. Beam Black and Coke or sometimes Evan Williams and Coke at the dock parties. Tawny Port in the evening before retiring for the night. Sometimes a taste of Bourbon in the morning Cappuccino. Bloody Mary for breakfast. When someone else is buying, I'll have what they are having. When nobody wants to buy and I am running skinny in the wallet, the cheapest booze available. Do without the Breath of Life? NEVER!
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:03   #12

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We keep our sundowners simple--Gin & Tonic. We use a SodaStream soft drink maker to make the tonic.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:18   #13

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Mead or rum, which are the only two alcoholic drinks i have in store on the boat.
Old 11-01-2013, 18:10   #14

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

It's VERY cold tonight in San Diego. Time for my favorite cold weather drink: Hot Buttered Rum, this recipe is by Emeril Lagasse. I make the base in large batches and store it in the reefer for when it's needed. Just a healthy tablespoon of the mix in a mug, add boiling water, then mix in as much dark rum as meets your needs, MMMMMM.

1 stick unsalted butter, softened
2 cups light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
Pinch ground cloves
Pinch salt
Bottle dark rum
Boiling water
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 19:01   #15

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

Mountain Dew is my prefered cocktail, comes in a ready to drink green can, best served ice cold, but a warm one is just as good in a pinch....though I must say I have enjoyed a rum and coke on Rocketman's very nice benetau. As well as his company and conversation!
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote