Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2018, 04:59   #61
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Boaties Fry Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
If you don’t have an induction hob you will want one one day. They are very inexpensive.
It's not the purchase price, it's the AH they consume that's difficult, my chili takes a good four hours. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 10:31   #62

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
It's not the purchase price, it's the AH they consume that's difficult, my chili takes a good four hours. . .

They are actually surprisingly efficient, because the heat is generated in the pot, and not by a flame which is very lossy. And if you use a pressure cooker you can do your chili in 45 mintes under pressure, depressurize naturally by cooling, then remove the lid and thicken and re spice if desired. Cook once, eat for three days. With no refrigeration, maybe two days if ambient air temp is fairly low. So, averaged out, that's not all that many kw/hrs expended per day for cooking. If you have plenty of solar, cooking a pot of something is a good way to utilize energy above what you can store in the bank.

Among electric cooking methods, the induction plate can only be matched by the programmable electric pressure cooker. A good one radiates very little heat. Both are worth experimenting with. Me, I lean toward the electric pressure cooker and I have ran it off my inverter just to see how well it would work. Get a small one if you don't have refrigeration, and just make a one day meal. But I digress. Don't knock the induction plate until you try it. Use a Kill-a-Watt to measure energy usage. If you don't like it you can always use it on top of your dock box for pier cookups, or at the house if you have one. Current draw depends a lot on the pan used, and what is in it, as well as the power setting. Always cook covered when practical, to trap heat.
Old 27-09-2018, 12:34   #63

Boat: Valiant 42

If you eat chili for 3 days the AH required to run the ventilation fan will be more than the cook top....
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 16:32   #64
cruiser

I make 2-3 gallons at a time, rotate through a dozen different soups / stews and curries, usually eat with rice or puffy flatbread.

I try to save some to freeze in ziplocs, but it's never too hard to find volunteers to help eat my food.
Old 27-09-2018, 16:39   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Gotta buddy who, when he opens his marine service shop in the spring, loads up his giant crock pot with what ever was on sale that day. as the marine season progresses, whatever sandwich or lunch left overs get dumped in the pot which simmers 24hrs. a day. By the end of the boating season no one has any idea whats in there but damn, it tastes good
Old 27-09-2018, 17:43   #66

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I'm looking for cooking pots & pans that have removable handles and nest for efficient storage.

Ideally cast iron, but long as a heavy base, open to other styles.

I saw a Japanese style I liked but crazy expensive.
Magma has some competitors, including Camco and Kuuma (pricey!).

For a cheaperr alternative, I have seen these in the link below and they are just as heavy and well made. I did not buy because there was no stock at the boat show">Annapolis boat show, but they are on my list:

https://theboatgalley.com/galleyware-nesting-pan-set/
Boat Induction Cookware | Nesting Induction Cookware

I seen a couple of posts complaining about the SS sticking problem, its because they don't know how that there is a proper way to prepare SS pots for non-stick. The boat Galley explain the process.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 06:51   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post

I seen a couple of posts complaining about the SS sticking problem, its because they don't know how that there is a proper way to prepare SS pots for non-stick. The boat Galley explain the process.
Yep. I cook in SS all of the time with out sticking problems. Made scrambled eggs this morning and the eggs did not stick.

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 07:01   #68

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Gotta buddy who, when he opens his marine service shop in the spring, loads up his giant crock pot with what ever was on sale that day. as the marine season progresses, whatever sandwich or lunch left overs get dumped in the pot which simmers 24hrs. a day. By the end of the boating season no one has any idea whats in there but damn, it tastes good
In China they call that 100 year stew. Just like your friend at the end of the day the restaurants just add more to the pot and keep it hot at all times
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 17:37   #69
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Magma has some competitors, including Camco and Kuuma (pricey!)
Fantastic info, thanks!

I honestly don't care at all about price. My S&B set has been in continuous use for several decades, and I plan to do the same with the new set for mobile living, both on land at at sea.

So, anyone's comments wrt relative long-term , cooking quality - I do love a heavy base!

regardless of price issues

would be greatly appreciated.
Old 28-09-2018, 17:44   #70

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Fagor makes a pressure cooker that has low sides so it's virtually a frying pan, a saucepan and a pressure cooker all in one. It's 4qt and sorry I can't remember whether it's 9 or 10"
Edit: on the internet it's easy to find replacement silicone gaskets. I had a very expensive pressure cooker but I could not get a replacement gasket. I ended up throwing it away. PS I am in no way affiliated with Fagor
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 04:03   #71

Boat: Valiant 40

Another vote for the Magma set. Mine has had heavy use and is going strong. Versatile, thick bases, easy to clean. Only warning is to beware of the handle accidentally being over an open flame. It’s something like Bakelite but it will melt. Mine got slightly torched on the bottom but is fine.

I have a cast iron skillet for baking bread but rarely use it for anything else despite being a cast iron fan.

I have a couple of commercial nonstick skillets that I use for eggs etc. get yours from a restaurant supply store. Everything else is either cheap trash or overpriced trash.
Old 24-10-2018, 09:48   #72
cruiser

https://www.all-clad.com/Cookware/D3...t/p/8400001921