Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2014, 10:37   #1

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'
"Boot Sauce"

In the middle of making a batch now why not share it. For those in the US and have been to Fridays a chain restaurant and absolutely love that sauce this is as close to the jack daniels sauce served there. Id figure id share my findings to ones who would like a different taste in the kitchen. Perfect for anything from chicken to shrimp even the freshest catch.

I figure to post it online to so I do not lose a copy. Fire does torture to papers......

Its a simple sauce takes about a hour or so to make. Not good to make while under way but if in a calm area and bored it's a nice treat to have ready and heat up once made or to dump in a vaccume sealed bag with any meal before going under way.

3 cloves garlic (fresh or dehydrated it does not matter) if you want to sauté it a little first go ahead just a little bit no need to completely brown it

3 Tbls dried chopped onion (if using fresh mince it up and add to garlic if you desire in the beginning)

1 Cup chopped pineapple

6 Oz. Pineapple juice

1/4 Cup teraki sauce

1 Tbls. Soy sauce

1 Cup Brown sugar

3 Tbls. Lemon juice

Dash of ground cayenne pepper

1 Cup of water

1 Shot whiskey

As mentioned if you like you can sauté the garlic and onions just a little to bring out the flavor using very little oil. If using dehydrated onions and garlic disregard. If you chose this route start by adding water right to the mix when its just before turning.

Add the liquids first into a small saucepan excluding the whiskey

Stir in brown sugar under heat first then all the other dry ingredients under heat

Add whiskey (I usually check myself if whiskey is good double check to be sure per taste)

Bring to light boil then turn heat down to low allowing a light simmer to reduce the sauce. Keep an eye on it stirring occasionally.

Instill sauce rule (if anyone walks past pot one must stir and not just walk past)

Takes about a hour sauce will thicken when cools.

Add to anything desired and enjoy.

We call this boot sauce because its so good it will make anything taste good.

Enjoy and let me know what anyone has tried with it.

wondering around with no destionation
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 13:14   #2

Re: "Boot Sauce"

After redoing this I forgot that a cup of pineapple chunks is just to much. Ido recall eating half of it last time. Try for 1/4 and maybe a little less teraki sauce.

wondering around with no destionation
Old 31-03-2014, 00:14   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Hi Wondering
My better half loves sauces and I will give yours a go and report back. Thanks for sharing it.

No Teriyaki sauce is available on this Greek island, but as it is just a mixture of soy and sugar and mirin, I will substitute it with a total of half a cup of soy. I may also reduce the sugar a bit (it is a lot more than I use in any sauce or chutney recipes). Less water would mean less boiling time (really important on board for me as I am the one usually lugging gas bottles ashore in the dinghy ).

Pureeing the pineapple would help thicken the sauce and I like the sound of a whole tin if this is done. As you can see, I find it irresistible playing with recipes and modifying them .

Love your inclusion of whiskey and the requisite tasting .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 01:18   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

A sweet tooth aye! It would taste good just over plain rice.

It sounds a lot like my wife's (Filipina) adobo sauce but with too much sugar and with whiskey.
Old 31-03-2014, 03:55   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Hi Wondering

No Teriyaki sauce is available on this Greek island, but as it is just a mixture of soy and sugar and mirin, I will substitute it with a total of half a cup of soy.
Try this recipe for teriyaki, great on tuna.

Restaurant Teriyaki Sauce Recipe - Food.com - 133751
Old 31-03-2014, 04:15   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Good post Wonder...

This sounds nearly identical to mine that I use for the "quickie smoked ribs"

30-40 min start to finish... Using this for the last 10 min glaze...

They are raved over... I definitely know my way around a smoker, grill, and BBQ!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 05:57   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Batch is simmering at the moment .

Old 31-03-2014, 07:19   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A double batch has been made and taste tested .

I decreased the sugar and added a fresh red chili mainly for the colour. NornaB's recipe for Teriyaki sauce included ginger, so I threw in a grated thumb's worth, as without Teriyaki I was simply using soy.

Having mixed everything together, water looked totally unnecessary, so I left it out completely. Just 20 minutes of simmering thickened it nicely and it is thickening more as it cools. Pureeing everything gave it a lovely texture. I would definitely do this again.

Oh, and I added the whiskey only just before bottling, so the alcohol and flavour soul wasn't boiled out of it .

Thanks for sharing your recipe Wondering .

BOOT SAUCE (Slight variation)

3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 onion, peeled and chopped
400 g (14 oz) tin chopped pineapple in juice
½ cup soy sauce
⅔ cup brown sugar
Juice of 1 lemon juice and enough vinegar to make ¼ cup total
½ tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled and grated
1 shot Jack Daniels

- Mix everything but the Jack Daniels
- Blend with a stick mixer
- Bring to the boil, stirring lots
- Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add alcohol and ladle into hot clean jars and seal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	431.0 KB
ID:	78549  

Old 31-03-2014, 09:12   #9

Ohh all the smiles this morning from seeing this thanks to all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Hi Wondering
My better half loves sauces and I will give yours a go and report back. Thanks for sharing it.

No Teriyaki sauce is available on this Greek island, but as it is just a mixture of soy and sugar and mirin, I will substitute it with a total of half a cup of soy. I may also reduce the sugar a bit (it is a lot more than I use in any sauce or chutney recipes). Less water would mean less boiling time (really important on board for me as I am the one usually lugging gas bottles ashore in the dinghy ).

Pureeing the pineapple would help thicken the sauce and I like the sound of a whole tin if this is done. As you can see, I find it irresistible playing with recipes and modifying them .

Love your inclusion of whiskey and the requisite tasting

A double batch has been made and taste tested .

I decreased the sugar and added a fresh red chili mainly for the colour. NornaB's recipe for Teriyaki sauce included ginger, so I threw in a grated thumb's worth, as without Teriyaki I was simply using soy.

Having mixed everything together, water looked totally unnecessary, so I left it out completely. Just 20 minutes of simmering thickened it nicely and it is thickening more as it cools. Pureeing everything gave it a lovely texture. I would definitely do this again.

Oh, and I added the whiskey only just before bottling, so the alcohol and flavour soul wasn't boiled out of it .

Thanks for sharing your recipe Wondering .
You are welcome some good things are hard to keep to ones self. Something to contribute to the community. Recipes are always ment to be adjusted to any taste. No harm no fowl there I always modify something when my non creative head thinks of it or I learned something new.

Yeah the water is more if useing dehydrated then fresh. and yeah as it cools it does thicken more. I was reading the Teraki sauce label yesterday and seeing as its mostly soy I did omit the soy with yesterdays batch and a tad more of teriyaki.

The soul goes well to I one time will add it right before bottling.

Im glad it hit the spot just hope you will never have to resort to eating your shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Good post Wonder...

This sounds nearly identical to mine that I use for the "quickie smoked ribs"

30-40 min start to finish... Using this for the last 10 min glaze...

They are raved over... I definitely know my way around a smoker, grill, and BBQ!
Good food is just that and knowing how to put it out priceless.

hehehe. Well if I am guessing Right MD has some pretty good BBQ shacks as I am just up north of ya in Jersey. That sounds great gonna be doing that once its grilling time out on the lake lay on for the last coating. Instead of right off the grill. Me likey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
Try this recipe for teriyaki, great on tuna.

Restaurant Teriyaki Sauce Recipe - Food.com - 133751

I just peaked and I say a honey teriyaki recipe that may excite me a little. Ill try in the next batch.

Honey Teriyaki Sauce Recipe - Food.com - 495395

I sure hope it brings good food and wonderful praise at your next meal. The sauce is great with anything I may as go as far to spread it like jam on bread.