Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2016, 21:04   #166

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: Bread Maker Aboard ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
'kooka brudt'.
I've tried to make that sound Dutch / Flemish and even German (Ich spreche nur ein wenig Deutsch) but ... nothing I can think of that sounds even close.

With a little imagination, brudt could be brood - bread.
But 'kooka' ..?
If the oo sounds like the oo in look, it would be koek - cookie.
But with the oo sounding like the o in open, it's more like gekookt - literally, boiled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
the word he recalls spelled as I heard it 'coo-ka stu-tin'.
Coo-ka stu-tin or kooka brudt ... and they're both talking about the 'egg bread'?

Did the eierkoeken look familiar to them?
Old 09-04-2016, 21:37   #167

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
I've tried to make that sound Dutch / Flemish and even German (Ich spreche nur ein wenig Deutsch) but ... nothing I can think of that sounds even close.

With a little imagination, brudt could be brood - bread.
But 'kooka' ..?
If the oo sounds like the oo in look, it would be koek - cookie.
But with the oo sounding like the o in open, it's more like gekookt - literally, boiled.

Coo-ka stu-tin or kooka brudt ... and they're both talking about the 'egg bread'?

Did the eierkoeken look familiar to them?

It didn't. The oo does sound like cookie. Yes both were referring to a not quite cake thick yellow bread. I need a psychic to ask my great grandmother what the heck this was. She's only been gone 45 years...

I'm wondering if it was something like cookie bread. I'm totally stumped. Thx for your help!

SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:49   #168

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sail cruiser, that isn't kooka brut, it is -- if I am right -- "kuche brod", which isn't much help, actually. I have a sense here, that it is "brioche" (French) that you really are after. It is that the eggy breads, are also often soft and sweet. Someone here mentioned something like eige or eie? brod, well brod is bread. And the other bit is egg. However, there are many egg breads, and also, many wheat varieties from which to produce them, so that, even if you come up with a recipe you think you should try, do not be surprised if it does not taste to your loved one as he experienced it--there are also memory lapses, but I really do think he might recognize what he longs for. It is just hard as heck to find what to try. In your thinking, do remember that all of Europe is really close to each other, not all spread out like the USA, so these hints from neighboring areas have lots of value.

Me, I'd start baking for him, start with Brioche, and see where it goes. He can tell you more or less sweet, for example. And no matter, if you're baking for him, he'll see the love in that effort.

Ann
Old 11-04-2016, 02:22   #169

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Sail cruiser, that isn't kooka brut, it is -- if I am right -- "kuche brod", which isn't much help, actually. I have a sense here, that it is "brioche" (French) that you really are after. It is that the eggy breads, are also often soft and sweet. Someone here mentioned something like eige or eie? brod, well brod is bread. And the other bit is egg. However, there are many egg breads, and also, many wheat varieties from which to produce them, so that, even if you come up with a recipe you think you should try, do not be surprised if it does not taste to your loved one as he experienced it--there are also memory lapses, but I really do think he might recognize what he longs for. It is just hard as heck to find what to try. In your thinking, do remember that all of Europe is really close to each other, not all spread out like the USA, so these hints from neighboring areas have lots of value.

Me, I'd start baking for him, start with Brioche, and see where it goes. He can tell you more or less sweet, for example. And no matter, if you're baking for him, he'll see the love in that effort.

Ann
I agree with Ann. He will love the effort. I also think that no matter what you produce it won't match his childhood memories, but that is largely immaterial.

"Egg breads" usually tend to incorporate butter and sugar as well. There are a heap of recipes for sweet egg/butter breads for most European countries. The proportions vary only a little. Mainly it is the shape that differs.

I posted a recipe for a lovely egg bread I posted here a year ago:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-116488-5.html

Just shape it how your dad remembers and see how it goes .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:36   #170

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Bread Maker Aboard ?

Thanks SWL and Ann, my dad means the world to me. This was a passing comment I've heard a few times. His version of a hint. I will give it a try and see what he thinks. My aunt said definite yeast bread that was a light yellow.

On a better note my aunt had the other recipe. She said it's a sort of German potato salad. I'll take a look at SWL's recipe and see if it's what my aunt remembers. I know I can't give him exact but I'd like to be close. He's done so much for me it's the absolute least I can do.

And back on topic I will have my bread maker on board. 😉

SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 18:57   #171
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Kartoffelsalat!

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 19:54   #172

Boat: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Kartoffelsalat!
That coloration suggest a southern variation of the yummy salat in question. Go north ... the kartooffeln get more weiss and the bier gets more dry and bitter. A half-chicken, potato salad, and a pilsner made less than a kilometer away -- well that's just lunch in Hannover, and a very fine one at that.
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 20:10   #173

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

I just have a few load pans for when I want sandwich bread, but thats just me.
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote