Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 20:14   #16

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Coffee. 1 Coke every other day or every day. Cigars. I really like ice, too. And soap, I like soap. Toothpaste is cool, too.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 21:01   #17

Boat: Hunter 33.5, Wildwood II
Got excited about the Irish tea, thought it was something else to mix rum with. google ruined it. sigh.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:48   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
whenye need half and half with your coffee, try nido milk--isnt quite the same but the milkfat content is 26 percent..lol...and a coupla spoons added to the hot brew works for the moment and doesnt quite taste like the yukky powdered skim milk we have had pushed on us for my entire lifetime lol....is found in places the hispanics shop for foods for babies..lol....stores well...makes great instant or fresh mashed taters too...lol..
the rum is in the virgin islands and west indies ..lol
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:15   #19

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Thanks zeehag, will try the nido, I have been on the look out for alternatives for half/half for when I cut the lines.
Cheers,
Erika
Old 06-03-2010, 10:55   #20

Boat: Homebuilt Paddlewheeler, 36'
Hehe...
Strong tea from a 30 year old tea brick in the AM, coke in the early aft, white wine in the evening, Pusser's at night
wildshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 14:11   #21

Boat: 1990 Caliber 38
My students constantly remind me that I am culturally handicapped, so I'm not afraid to ask: What is a 30 year old tea brick? Mineral, vegetable or animal?
KestrelBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 15:12   #22

tea brick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KestrelBuck View Post
My students constantly remind me that I am culturally handicapped, so I'm not afraid to ask: What is a 30 year old tea brick? Mineral, vegetable or animal?
Traditionally, chinese tea was baked into bricks for trading, and you can still get some of them from China and Northern India. The tea is mellow and very rich tasting on most of em. Until really fairly recently, they were used in lieu of money in areas of the Himalayas, or so it's my understanding....

This would have been what the "Boston Tea Party" threw into the water btw, not loose tea...

Tea brick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-03-2010, 18:34   #23

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Thank you Wildshore, an interesting addition to my knowledge

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 00:02   #24

Boat: Mac 26x
i drop two tea bags into a mug and make a strong brew,that gets me going.

Dont drink alcohol or do drugs,been clean and sober since 1996

would love to find something that benefits the health in the way that red wine does without the alcohol content
bastonjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:14   #25
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Nora Jones? Hmm..

Hey, I bet if you listened to Chris Izzak and Lucinda Williams for three days in a row and then immediately went for a psych eval you would end up with a new prescription for Prozac.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:31   #26

red red wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastonjock View Post

would love to find something that benefits the health in the way that red wine does without the alcohol content
try resveratrol capsules. They're derived mostly from red grapeskins.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:13   #27

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Certain things in life make it worth living and other things blur the line between "need" and "want". I need coffee and to the point of addiction. If I were to run out of coffee I thin I would just go ahead and fall on my sword. The head aches and confusion I experience makes life not worth living.

Went on a diet, went on night shift, and quit caffeen all at the same time, was doing a critical telco cable cut around from a bad, detoriated section to a new section. By the second night I was sick, and did not know what was wrong. I was ready to leave my coworker, leave my tools, leave the manhole open and drive away from $60. an hour, (1998) and put my life long career in danger.

Instead I, (I thought, "Whats wrong") went to an all night 7-11 a couppla hundred yards away, drank a cup, had em brew a pot for the thermos, and b4 the cup was empty I leveled out. I have quit smoking (35 years ago) the toughest thing I ever did, quit drinking a year ago, no problem, became celibate when the 38 year wife put me out by the curb. Lived and am living through all those things, ain't no way I am giving up coffee b4 being rolled in a hole. If I am hospitalized with nothing by mouth they better IV it. I am giving up giving up stuff, any "bad " habits I have I intend to live with, what being 63 years old. I live on board now and life seems OK.

Prefered blend is 50/50 Central Market (Texas) choclate-almond ($7.99lb) and Costco green bag ($3.99) brewed in a grind and brew. That is JUSSSST Right. Others I can live with but I drink em all black. For underweigh, in heavy seas I guess I better think about that, any suggestions. Starbucks new instant?
Old 07-03-2010, 08:09   #28
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
Certain things in life make it worth living and other things blur the line between "need" and "want". I need coffee and to the point of addiction. If I were to run out of coffee I thin I would just go ahead and fall on my sword. The head aches and confusion I experience makes life not worth living.

Went on a diet, went on night shift, and quit caffeen all at the same time, was doing a critical telco cable cut around from a bad, detoriated section to a new section. By the second night I was sick, and did not know what was wrong. I was ready to leave my coworker, leave my tools, leave the manhole open and drive away from $60. an hour, (1998) and put my life long career in danger.

Instead I, (I thought, "Whats wrong") went to an all night 7-11 a couppla hundred yards away, drank a cup, had em brew a pot for the thermos, and b4 the cup was empty I leveled out. I have quit smoking (35 years ago) the toughest thing I ever did, quit drinking a year ago, no problem, became celibate when the 38 year wife put me out by the curb. Lived and am living through all those things, ain't no way I am giving up coffee b4 being rolled in a hole. If I am hospitalized with nothing by mouth they better IV it. I am giving up giving up stuff, any "bad " habits I have I intend to live with, what being 63 years old. I live on board now and life seems OK.

Prefered blend is 50/50 Central Market (Texas) choclate-almond ($7.99lb) and Costco green bag ($3.99) brewed in a grind and brew. That is JUSSSST Right. Others I can live with but I drink em all black. For underweigh, in heavy seas I guess I better think about that, any suggestions. Starbucks new instant?
run out of coffee--find a different crew lol....
run outta coffee i get bitchy lol....
run outta coffee.........

I DONT THINK SO!!!!!! lol
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 13:42   #29

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastonjock View Post
i drop two tea bags into a mug and make a strong brew,that gets me going.

I like to use one bag of british blend and one bag of Irish blend, I let them duke it out in my tea mug for one to two minutes .

I also keep one pretty tea cup and saucer on board Ocean Girl for when I want to feel civilized...hmm, that rarely happens.

Erika

P.S. 1996, that is fantastic!
Old 07-03-2010, 14:08   #30

Cruising without rum? What would that be like?

I usually don't use it in the morning. But, come sundowner time ...... isn't rum why God created sunsets?

OTOH, we bought some French rum in Martinique. It turned out to be really good for killing freshly caught fish.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote