Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2023, 07:42   #1

BVIs 5 Night Itinerary Recommendation that includes Anegada

My fiance and I are headed to the BVIs for my birthday at the end of April. We have booked a trimaran for a 5 night bareboat charter, out of Nanny Cay.

We own a 27' monohull and have bareboat chartered a larger sailboat in Australia (so this isn't all completely new to us). This is our first time to the BVIs.

We enjoy quiet, relaxing vacations and avoid party spots. I would really like to go to Anegada, and in hindsight should have booked the boat for longer based on other threads in this forum that have stated it is probably not a possibility on a 5 night charter.

However, if we were to attempt going - does anyone have any recommendations for an itinerary that would include Anegada?
SaltyAsABeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 09:17   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: BVIs 5 Night Itinerary Recommendation that includes Anegada

Much depends upon your willingness to get up early and sail/motor. How big/fast is this trimaran? Are you willing to anchor or do you require mooring balls?

I'd recommend making 2 or 3 rough itineraries to select from depending upon weather conditions. Odds are good that you'll have fine weather with normal trades that time of year.
Old 09-04-2023, 09:38   #3

We prefer getting an early start. 6am is no problem for us. We have found ourselves waiting on the sun

It is a 43' Neel which we read can average 8-9 knots. We are comfortable both anchoring and mooring and don't have a strong preference based on what we know of the conditions in the BVIs.

We will work on 2-3 rough itineraries. And there is a full expectation that it will change to some degree once we are there!
Old 09-04-2023, 10:25   #4

I'll give it a start then:

Good weather means traditional easterlies and swells <= 6 feet. If Anegada is a goal then you will want to "stage" in the North Sound of Virgin Gorda and head to Anegeda at first light. You won't need a compass or other navigational aids, as there is usually a procession of boats heading there in the morning
The North Sound one of my favorite areas in the BVI. It is big enough to offer lots of different anchorages and is one of only 2 locations that are absolutely protected in a big north swell. I wish I were there now, I'm anchored outside in Simpson Bay, St. Martin and am rolling like crazy! In the North Sound you can take a mooring ball or anchor outside of the mooring field at Leverick in 20 feet and sand. Ashore there's Michael Beans' show for entertainment and bar and food. Just upwind you can anchor in good holding off Prickly Pear and be alone in the anchorage. Or go further into the sound and take a mooring at Saba Rock - the new place is great. Anchoring is a bit tougher there, because the water depth is 40 feet or so and many charter boats don't have enough chain for a 4:1 scope.
I will take a while to sail up the Sir Francis Drake Channel to the North Sound. It might be worth planning a night at the Bight on Norman if you can escape early enough when picking up the boat. Or go to Cooper Island for the night. Or sail to The Baths early the first day.

I like anchoring at Long Bay because there's nothing ashore. Another option, if you charter company allows it, is Savannah Bay.

After Anegada the next location should be Jost van Dyke. Either Diamond Cay for my favorite beach bar, B-Line Bar for the night. Best take a mooring, I anchor there but the holding isn't great. Or head into Great Harbour for a mooring ball (same thing, holding sucks there) and dinghy over to White Bay for a Painkiller at the Soggy Dollar Bar or other drinking establishment.

From Jost I'd sail around the West End, but only stay there if I had a spare day and wanted to eat ashore at Omar's Fusion. Otherwise, I'd continue to Norman Island or Peter Island.

Then home to Nanny Cay.
Old 09-04-2023, 11:40   #5

Thank you for the really great suggestions Zanshin!

It sounds like there is no shortage of options! We looked into a few of these locations you mentioned and will definitely plan a few of these depending on conditions. The only thing we are lacking is time... there is never enough of it!
Old 09-04-2023, 12:24   #6

That was the good-weather clockwise route. I guess one more question is when do you arrive and when is your check-out and briefing aboard? A lot of charters can't get away from the dock the first night, which shortens the trip. Say "Hi" to Devon "Coldest beer on the island, mon" at Peg Legs or head to Captain Mulligans for pizze/burgers if you can't leave the first night, or have a night there.

Tags
anegada, BVI, men