Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2019, 16:45   #1

Boat: MacGregor 26
BVIs provisioning with a peanut allergy

My son has a peanut allergy. Anyone know how good food labels are for listing cross contamination and/or ingredient lists?

We have mandatory labeling requirements for some of it in the US that helps. Not sure there.
Hoosierdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 17:24   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: BVIs provisioning with a peanut allergy

Not too many food factories on those islands, nearly everything's imported, so basically same risks as back home, read the labels.

Of course a mixed snacks product from another, island, or less developed nation, likely best avoided, but mostly where the locals shop not yachtie stores.

Locally prepared foods while touring, if done in that location, ask them if **any** dishes cooked there use peanuts, explain the dangers, you should be OK, can't recall indigenous dishes with peanuts offhand.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 17:36   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

You’re probably already aware of these peanut detectors but just in case you’re not, take a look at this.
https://medicalfuturist.com/fighting...-sensor-review
Old 28-02-2019, 11:15   #4

thanks for the responses. I have not seen that device. I showed it to our allergist who thinks it is a bit excessive. I think it would be great for testing food if you're in a non-english speaking area.

I think we'll be fine. We'll have plenty of time to shop on saturday and can hit a few stores to find familiar brands from home. My wife is just extremely nervous about it.
Old 28-02-2019, 11:30   #5

Boat: Adams 45

You might want to verify that you can bring EpiPens with you, both with TSA and BVI, and maybe bring 3 or 4 instead of the usual 2.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 15:31   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sometimes peanuts are hidden, as in part of a paste used to make a dish. My Jim got peanutted that way. So, plenty of Epi-pens is a good idea.

Mostly people know if there are peanuts in something, AND that's not quite good enough if you're a Mom who wants to keep her child safe, so I can see where she's coming from.

Is this a holiday, or is it a lifestyle change? For a vacation, you can bring enough safe food, but for a lifestyle, you're going to need a realistic plan, and plenty of Epi-pens.

Ann
Old 02-03-2019, 16:47   #7

Just a vacation. Yeah, the “I don’t think so” response to whether it has peanuts always makes me irritated.

He’s currently dosing 152mg of peanut powered a day for an immunotherapy program so hopefully he’ll be ok. Of course that ALSO makes her terrified

Tags
BVI, provisioning