Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2011, 13:24   #16

Boat: Trawler
Send a message via Yahoo to FloatyThing
Letting easy off sit for 24 hour does wonders for making it truly easy.
FloatyThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 07:34   #17

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatyThing
Letting easy off sit for 24 hour does wonders for making it truly easy.
I am trying this now. The experiment is under way. =)
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 01:57   #18

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Cleaning Stove / Oven

Try the Easy Off for glass top; spray it on then cover with a sheet of plastic wrap. Be sure to set up paper towels on top of plastic wrap along base to catch any run off.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:17   #19

Boat: 1994 Prout Manta Catamaran

I agree with Savoir.

I would take the oven racks, removable burners (not the knobs) etc. and put them in a kitchen trash bag. Take outdoors somewhere, spray the stuff with Easy Off (while still inside the bag), tie the bag up and walk away. Let it sit overnight, and then wash it off, even with a hose initially. Dry with paper towels, and repeat the process with a new trash bag.

Also on Day 1, spray the oven interior (minus the racks which you have removed), shut the door and walk away. Next morning, wipe out with hot soapy rags, dry with paper towels, and repeat again.

If the stove/oven aren't too bad, you can soak a rag with straight ammonia, wring it out a little, stick it in the oven and (again) leave it overnight. The next day, you will be surprised how much has been loosened. Repeat if necessary. Actually, when we are cruising, I use ammonia to clean our oven instead of dealing with the fumes from Easy Off (yes, I know Easy Off is somewhat less fumy as it was in the dark ages).

If you have a glass cooktop, I use a sponge with a non-scratch scrubby on it (it has to be non-scratch), soak it with hot water and dish soap, and scrub and wipe. Then dry with a clean kitchen towel. I also carry a very small bottle of glass top stove cleaner in my galley, and rarely use it but sometimes just a drop comes in handy.

Having had house renters in the past, I find that treating, walking away, and coming back the next day helps gradually loosen everything. My husband (Sunspot Baby on this forum), has a favorite saying: "Incremental Improvement beats postponed perfection" and in this case it's just the ticket.

Entlie
Sailing Catamaran Sunspot Baby
Entlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:42   #20

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entlie View Post
I agree with Savoir.

I would take the oven racks, removable burners (not the knobs) etc. and put them in a kitchen trash bag. Take outdoors somewhere, spray the stuff with Easy Off (while still inside the bag), tie the bag up and walk away. Let it sit overnight, and then wash it off, even with a hose initially. Dry with paper towels, and repeat the process with a new trash bag.

Also on Day 1, spray the oven interior (minus the racks which you have removed), shut the door and walk away. Next morning, wipe out with hot soapy rags, dry with paper towels, and repeat again.

If the stove/oven aren't too bad, you can soak a rag with straight ammonia, wring it out a little, stick it in the oven and (again) leave it overnight. The next day, you will be surprised how much has been loosened. Repeat if necessary. Actually, when we are cruising, I use ammonia to clean our oven instead of dealing with the fumes from Easy Off (yes, I know Easy Off is somewhat less fumy as it was in the dark ages).

If you have a glass cooktop, I use a sponge with a non-scratch scrubby on it (it has to be non-scratch), soak it with hot water and dish soap, and scrub and wipe. Then dry with a clean kitchen towel. I also carry a very small bottle of glass top stove cleaner in my galley, and rarely use it but sometimes just a drop comes in handy.

Having had house renters in the past, I find that treating, walking away, and coming back the next day helps gradually loosen everything. My husband (Sunspot Baby on this forum), has a favorite saying: "Incremental Improvement beats postponed perfection" and in this case it's just the ticket.

Entlie
Sailing Catamaran Sunspot Baby
This is your standard old stainless/gas stove. It's nothing fancy but it works. I have been steadily working at this slowly on a day or two by day or two basis. The oven came out great. I'm still fighting with the stove. I plan to order new burner grates because these are likely original and rusting. I plan to repaint with oven paint and keep them as spares. The Easy off is working but the particular formulation I bought turns to a powder after about 24 hours. (non-aerosol) I would definitely say this is the easiest way to fight a nasty stove and I thank everyone for their suggestions. I use a ton of Vinegar on board but that just couldn't cut the level of nasty this thing had. Thanks everyone! SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 15:57   #21
Sponsoring Vendor

Agree with Easy-Off spray for the oven racks, etc. in bags and spray the inside and let it all sit overnight.

For the stove top, the best thing -- and it works wonderfully -- is Easy-Off Brush-On Oven Cleaner. Don't know if it's sold in the US, it's easily available in Mexico -- it's more of a paste than the spray on varieties. Brush it on (CAREFULLY), let it sit an hour or so, wipe off. You'll get a lot of gunk off the first time -- depending on how nasty the build up is, it make take a couple of times.

Tags
cleaning, oven