Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2015, 11:19   #181
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser
Re: Coffee maker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I planted a young tree of inspiration in many of the young and beautiful minds of folks in that part of the world and am proud of what has happened after my work was done..

Quote:
Now if only we could help Ukraine by introducing "good coffee" in the far eastern part of the country..
(if only it was so easy..)
Quote:
All citizens of the world deserve a good cup of coffee ..
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 11:25   #182
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
I like the look of that. An improvement over the Melitta in that it is easy to let it steep for a short while. Steeping does improve the taste a bit.
I roast my own coffee both at home and also with a professional 15 kilo machine. For espresso, I have some nice machines but too power hungry for a boat and too heavy.

I do like a good Colombian as a base filtered coffee and this Clever dripper brings out the best in the taste. It also works well for the Mocha Java. A very clean bright taste, clean up is just a throw overboard of the filter and grounds. Everything is biodegradable.

I kilo sample roaster. At home I roast and let degas for 3 days. The coffee is then ground and vacuum sealed in 36 gram foil packets. When I go sailing for a week, Each pack is the right amount for my Clever dripper.

If I ever get to go sailing for a long time... Id break down coffee roaster and take it with me.. run the hot air gun off the portable generator. Take a sack of coffee and use an electric grinder.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 12:18   #183

Boat: Monk 36

Weavis - I can't read the name on the filter holder. I like that it holds the water/coffee for a bit before you release it.
Would you mind sharing it's name? Thanks.
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 12:35   #184
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpddj View Post
Weavis - I can't read the name on the filter holder. I like that it holds the water/coffee for a bit before you release it.
Would you mind sharing it's name? Thanks.
Would you believe: Clever Dripper? lol

Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Shrub-C.../dp/B00EOM5RN0

I like the large version.
Old 15-03-2015, 13:34   #185
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Coleman makes a propane drip pot that works like a Mr. Coffee. It's $100+ plus, uses a propane cylinder. Bulky but sometimes it's handy to have a coffee maker with its own heat source. http://amzn.to/18PvKjA For about $40 they make a Mr. Coffee-type pot that works atop a gasoline or propane stove. I always carry one of those cheap, 110V coil heaters you drop in a cup to make hot water. Takes up no room even though it's used only when plugged into shore power. I vote French press for those who can always make hot water and I love the ideal of a double-walled French press that keeps the coffee warm.
Old 15-03-2015, 17:41   #186

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I roast my own coffee both at home and also with a professional 15 kilo machine. For espresso, I have some nice machines but too power hungry for a boat and too heavy.

I do like a good Colombian as a base filtered coffee and this Clever dripper brings out the best in the taste. It also works well for the Mocha Java. A very clean bright taste, clean up is just a throw overboard of the filter and grounds. Everything is biodegradable.

I kilo sample roaster. At home I roast and let degas for 3 days. The coffee is then ground and vacuum sealed in 36 gram foil packets. When I go sailing for a week, Each pack is the right amount for my Clever dripper.

If I ever get to go sailing for a long time... Id break down coffee roaster and take it with me.. run the hot air gun off the portable generator. Take a sack of coffee and use an electric grinder.
Wow, that's a lot of work. All that roasting and de-gassing and grinding and vacuum bagging.

I expect you don't do all that just to keep busy. What do you get that can't be found somewhere in the 50 coffee items on the Tesco supermarket shelf?
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 18:06   #187
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Wow, that's a lot of work. All that roasting and de-gassing and grinding and vacuum bagging.

I expect you don't do all that just to keep busy. What do you get that can't be found somewhere in the 50 coffee items on the Tesco supermarket shelf?
The coffee of my choice. After roasting, coffee really only retains the freshness for about 23 days if stored properly. I also can roast the berry to my preferred 'doneness'. Colombian for example, I prefer to just into 2nd crack and then cooled immediately...... It allows the oils to burst into the flavour mode without overcooking.

Despite the promotion of longevity by using gas to keep the beans fresh in the packet, I prefer that my coffee is not 6 months old on the shelf before I buy it.

It also is not a lot of work. I kilo of berries takes about 16 minutes to roast, 10 minutes to be cooled completely. 3 days in a one way valved bag to degass and then through the grinder and auto weighed and bagged.... maybe 15 mins.

I roast every two weeks. Its very relaxing. I also have the profiles for different varieties in my computer so hook it up to the roaster to follow along with. Ive done it for a few years now. Hooked up with some friends and we buy coffee in bulk for the year... I also only pay $5 a kilo or cheaper depending on how many bags I purchase.
Old 15-03-2015, 18:14   #188
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is some Torrefacto beans that I made. 65% Arabica and 35% Robusta.
The shine is from the cooking in Sugar that reduces the bitterness and good for preserving. It also is the main coffee for Spanish Cafe con leche.....give it the strength but without the bite of bitter.

Old 15-03-2015, 18:44   #189

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
The coffee of my choice. After roasting, coffee really only retains the freshness for about 23 days if stored properly. I also can roast the berry to my preferred 'doneness'. Colombian for example, I prefer to just into 2nd crack and then cooled immediately...... It allows the oils to burst into the flavour mode without overcooking.

Despite the promotion of longevity by using gas to keep the beans fresh in the packet, I prefer that my coffee is not 6 months old on the shelf before I buy it.

It also is not a lot of work. I kilo of berries takes about 16 minutes to roast, 10 minutes to be cooled completely. 3 days in a one way valved bag to degass and then through the grinder and auto weighed and bagged.... maybe 15 mins.

I roast every two weeks. Its very relaxing. I also have the profiles for different varieties in my computer so hook it up to the roaster to follow along with. Ive done it for a few years now. Hooked up with some friends and we buy coffee in bulk for the year... I also only pay $5 a kilo or cheaper depending on how many bags I purchase.
I roast as well, but not anywhere near as intricate as you..

I actually prefer an old school dommed pan but its too slow (and smokey) for large amounts. I usually use a hot air popcorn popper for my regular every day coffee. I was degassing originally, but I've since stopped and can't tell any difference.

I couldn't go back to store bought coffee.... The difference is huge.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 18:58   #190

Boat: C&C 48 Custom

I like the areopress a lot.
SakPase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 19:17   #191

Boat: None yet

Very cool set up. I've been buying from a friend who just bought a commercial roaster and set up a small business. Before that he used a breadmaking machine, using a dough cycle to stir the beans whilst a heat gun supplied the heat.

Weavis, what is the vacuum canister for? I assume the beans are in the pot where the heat gun and temp probe are placed?

Cheers, foz

Quote:

fozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 01:42   #192
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozrunner View Post
Very cool set up. I've been buying from a friend who just bought a commercial roaster and set up a small business. Before that he used a breadmaking machine, using a dough cycle to stir the beans whilst a heat gun supplied the heat.

Weavis, what is the vacuum canister for? I assume the beans are in the pot where the heat gun and temp probe are placed?

Cheers, foz
The vacuum is something I designed. It is a unit originally for cleaning out the ash from fireplaces. It is placed between the vacuum cleaner and the fireplace so the ashes do not enter the vacuum cleaner itself. What I do is insert the tube from the cylinder into the roaster and suck all the berries into it. I then leave the vacuum running with the suction hose in the fresh air to cool the beans quickly in the cannister, with an occasional shake of the cannister. Once cooled, a few minutes, I can then bag immediately.

I use this small roaster as a sampler machine to develop a roasting profile for different varietals, and then if liking the result, I take the computerised profile and run the 15 kilo unit to roast the same time and heat rise. ( I have a small interest in a cooperative.)

As far as degassing, it kind of is going to happen with or without involvement. The berry takes 3 days to 'settle' and allow the flavour of the roast to produce the 'taste' in cup. At home I use a glass vacuum coffee maker and "fresh' coffee will produce a one inch bloom as its being made. This is an indication of the process in action.

There is a HUGE taste difference as the coffee settles. Even when drinking coffee, say a week old, there are different tastes as the coffee cools in the drinking cup. For example, I have a Mocha Java mix that will have a light fruit perfume taste when first poured, and then as it cools will develop a tangible and full vanilla and peach taste.

Personally, I come from the school of roasting that is mainly done by the senses, and then put the coffee into brown paper bags to develop by itself. I still dont use for about 3 days. In my house and office, after making a couple of kilos, it just gets put in a sealed bag, and then opened after the 'start using date'. My profile roaster is hot air and my commercial is gas. I do have a number of other roasters of antiquity, and occasionally drag one out to make coffee in a swirl of smoke and timing. There is a difference in that too.
Old 16-03-2015, 05:27   #193

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:

That all sounds industrial. Autoweighing and bagging machines are not for the home roaster are they? That price for coffee is really cheap as in what I would expect to pay a Columbian wholesaler - can you get such prices in the UK? I think you could supply competitively on a commercial scale with costs so low. Retail price is about $15/kg

It sounds like a fun project and there is nothing like the smell of roasting coffee. Worth doing for that alone.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 05:33   #194
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
That all sounds industrial. Autoweighing and bagging machines are not for the home roaster are they? That price for coffee is really cheap as in what I would expect to pay a Columbian wholesaler - can you get such prices in the UK? I think you could supply competitively on a commercial scale with costs so low. Retail price is about $15/kg

It sounds like a fun project and there is nothing like the smell of roasting coffee. Worth doing for that alone.
If you want a good Coffee roaster... here is one that is amazing. From Taiwan.

Old 16-03-2015, 05:41   #195
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

I picked up a used weigh and bag machine for $300. Prior to that I had a small cup which the volume was 37 grams....and then put it into a foil bag and use a vacuum and heat sealer... still easy.

nothing industrial about the home method.