Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2014, 07:15   #76

Re: Coffee maker...

I personally like throw away filters for convenience if nothing else. One thing that makes the Melitta system work better while at sea is to make a plastic fitting that attaches the flimsy filter holder to the base. I have machined a couple of these that fit the filter cone to the wide base insulated cups or thermos combinations that I use.

Also made a base ring out of 3/4 inch acrylic for the thermos. Interference fit and it stays on when you need it, keeps it all from tipping and won't hurt the woodwork too much if it goes flying across the galley!

um saudade
um saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:24   #77

Boat: C&C Newport 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Try the Aeropress. It uses paper filters and you control how fast it goes through the filter. Very inexpensive, but well thought out and well built.
I was wondering then someone was gonna mention the aeropres.

it is a 1 cup at a time french press and works great (including if you want to make espresso / americanas).

I got mine and all my beans from Armeno Coffee (http://www.armeno.com/) because they perfectly roast their beans and are the most helpful guys around.

Last reasons to switch to one... tiny and self cleaning!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aeropress_1024x1024.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	93335  
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:25   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Just remember when securing supplies for the ibrik that you take care to not refer to the coffee as Turkish style when in Greece or Greek coffee when in Turkey.

Not unless you want the war to start all over again.
Yes, I learned that lesson long time ago as there were several Greek and Turkish immigrant students in our high school.

And if you look even more broadly you'll find coffee and implements referred to as Armenian, Arabic and what have you. As long as I'm not drinking supermarket swill that passes for coffee here in US I'm OK with any name as long as it tastes like real coffee.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 22:18   #79

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
See my link in Post #37 above.
Stu, I looked it up on Amazon USA. Its $42.00 US. Bit out of my price range...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 22:47   #80

This works for me, I take it strong, long and black, 2 min to warm up push one button it grinds the beans fresh and dispenses the coffee. Does not get any simpler than that. Can also froth the milk etc if required by others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0582.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	93470  
PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:40   #81

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Stu, I looked it up on Amazon USA. Its $42.00 US. Bit out of my price range...
That's steep. I get mine in the Atherton Tablelands for around $16-17 US at the moment.

Smart Cafe Hot Mug - Australian Coffee at its best - Tichum Creek Coffee Mareeba
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:28   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Comes in 2 sizes

French press with no mess. Just throw the filter away.

Ive used one for 2 years. Put 3 or 4 scoops of coffee in.. stir at 2 mins, pour at 4.

Really smooth coffee.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:40   #83

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

On land it's the Euro-Piccola and grinder. I haven't been able to come up with a good alternative yet. I did use a rather neat device when I lived in Italy, but don't know what it was called. A bit of an art in use but not a bad cup. It had a water chamber on the bottom, a bail for the espresso, and the coffee magically appeared in the top section and if the temp was right complete with spuma. (The creamy, froth you get from an espresso machine)

The really important first step are the beans. Good beans can be hard to find in US.... I have a source from an importer.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:16   #84

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

With proper technique, all the methods already mentioned can give you a decent cup of coffee, IMHO EXCEPT for percolator or Mr Coffee type drip machines. Perk coffee is brewed too hot. Mr Coffee gives you no control over water temp and is hard to clean properly. I like pour overs for the convenience, though I think the FP makes slightly better coffee. Mokas and other stove top quasi espresso makers are pretty good. A "stinger" type immersion heater is very efficient for heating water electrically. But if you have the power, nothing even comes close to a proper espresso machine. I love my compact DeLonghi Magnifica superautomatic. Grinds my beans and doses the basket, frothy milk, brews a very customizable espresso double shot, basically cleans itself, heats up quick, and uses less energy than you would expect. Absolutely wonderful when on shore power. Water for tea and instant soup or noodles in a very few minutes. I absolutely love it.

Steam powered espresso machines actually use more power and make inferior espresso. Some would say it isn't even espresso at all. The only way to make these machines work well is to grind fine and tamp very firmly and hope the machine doesn't explode lol. Pump type 15 bar machines are far superior.

With a superautomatic, it will take a week or two to get your settings nailed down, but when you do, the results are very consistent and the operation is nearly hands off and very convenient. I will take my cappuccino over starbucks any day.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:38   #85

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Guess I'll chime in..not making coffee on a boat yet, but I recently replaced my coffee maker, and the key issue to me was not having to buy and dispose of coffee filters. And also not requiring some special glass thing that will break when dropped. And doesn't take up a lot of space.
So I got this 'single serve' drip maker, which works great. Only issue is it is 120vac powered, which may or maynot be an issue when on the boat. Just to add, it is very simple, doesn't consume any power when off, no clock, no timer, no warmer, just heat and drip the water and turns off.
I might just take one and modify it to run on 12v.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:57   #86

It all boils down to (pun intended) 1. quality of the beans, 2. the proper grind, i.e. grinding just before brewing and correct level of grind for the type of maker used and 3. quality of the water, including its temperature. Everything else is secondary.

Those who don't invest time and effort in all 3 will not experience the best coffee no matter what coffee maker they use.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:03   #87

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
Guess I'll chime in..not making coffee on a boat yet, but I recently replaced my coffee maker, and the key issue to me was not having to buy and dispose of coffee filters. And also not requiring some special glass thing that will break when dropped. And doesn't take up a lot of space.
So I got this 'single serve' drip maker, which works great. Only issue is it is 120vac powered, which may or maynot be an issue when on the boat. Just to add, it is very simple, doesn't consume any power when off, no clock, no timer, no warmer, just heat and drip the water and turns off.
I might just take one and modify it to run on 12v.

That's a pretty small load. Run it from an inverter, maybe a 200w or bigger one. Be sure to turn the inverter off or disconnect it from 12v when not in use.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:53   #88

Boat: Cape Dory 33

We use a large Melitta drip cone and make the coffee directly into an insulated carafe.
Old 12-12-2014, 18:04   #89

French press, at the dock hot water from a electric soup pot, at anchor a teakettle. The soup pot heats water in just a couple of minutes.

Greg S/V Sweet Dreams
Pearson P385 out of Racine Wisconsin
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 04:51   #90

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

...So.. can she perform under storm?? I really need a coffee here today..