Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2021, 09:45   #16

Boat: Ontario 32
Re: Coffee pot?

Our solution is to use the Bodum french press, made of stainless steel and double-walled with insulating vacuum in-between. Attractive, functional and essentially unbreakable. These are available in two sizes through Amazon, as well as other vendors. Water is boiled in an electric kettle if we are plugged into shore power, or on the stove if we are not. Put the Bodum unit into the sink before attempting to pour the boiling water into it. Keep a supply of ground beans in an air-tight container for freshness, no other filters or supplies are needed. Used grounds are bio-degradable and can be put into the garbage or washed down the drain. The caffeine makes the fish more lively.

This approach has worked well for us for years. My daughter uses the same method, with the same Bodum coffee-maker, in her home.
Old 28-09-2021, 10:07   #17

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectPirate View Post
Our solution is to use the Bodum french press, made of stainless steel and double-walled with insulating vacuum in-between. Attractive, functional and essentially unbreakable. These are available in two sizes through Amazon, as well as other vendors. Water is boiled in an electric kettle if we are plugged into shore power, or on the stove if we are not. Put the Bodum unit into the sink before attempting to pour the boiling water into it. Keep a supply of ground beans in an air-tight container for freshness, no other filters or supplies are needed. Used grounds are bio-degradable and can be put into the garbage or washed down the drain. The caffeine makes the fish more lively.

This approach has worked well for us for years. My daughter uses the same method, with the same Bodum coffee-maker, in her home.
This what we use both on the boat and at home. We grind the coffee at home and vacuum seal it in plastic bags for the boat.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 10:29   #18

I get up very early in the morning, my wife sleeps in a bit. Best for us is one cup at a time. We use an Aeropress for a very consistent cup, and of course SS Vacuum insulated cups. Very similar concept to French Press, just a single serve. We chose to heat water in a small electric tea kettle that is fast and easily placed in sink if needed.

For coffee, bacuum packed bricks of Bustelo or Pilon coffee are shelf stable for months and make a strong cup of Cuban or espresso style coffee we prefer.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 11:19   #19

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectPirate View Post
Our solution is to use the Bodum french press, made of stainless steel and double-walled with insulating vacuum in-between. Attractive, functional and essentially unbreakable. These are available in two sizes through Amazon, as well as other vendors. Water is boiled in an electric kettle if we are plugged into shore power, or on the stove if we are not. Put the Bodum unit into the sink before attempting to pour the boiling water into it.
This is our solution for the boat as well. Stainless steel insulated French press. If seas are an issue boiling water is poured while it sits in our smaller sink. Makes a good cup of coffee, and decent size so can make a lot at one time.

Cleanup is easy too; over the side! Whole bodum gets dunked using a thin line that stores wrapped around the handle and is easily unrolled.
Old 28-09-2021, 21:56   #20

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I went cruising with a Nissan French press. Safe, inexpensive and almost crew proof. Even though I gave explicit request to make the coffee in the deep sink, Big Bird and Grover usually forgot and it went sailing inside of the boat.... Also, it started breaking down after 2 years. Plastic cracking, that sort of thing.

I think my next one will be the Thermos French press. Every other Thermos product I have is quality.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 22:15   #21

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Anchors and coffee, the two most important things on a boat? We need Panope to make videos of competing coffee preparations! And pity the poor soul who says they prefer instant coffee...
Check this thread too: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ee-179185.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 01:48   #22

Boat: Island Packet 40

French press is the most practical however one of the great joys in life is that percolating coffee smell first thing in the morning. I also use the French press for making leaf tea because I don't like tea bags.

I have a piece of 3 mm thick alloy plate which I place on the gimbal stove top where I place the press and cup to keep it from tipping over (monohull)
Old 02-10-2021, 17:13   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Hmmm, new CF member, joins and immediately makes two meaningless posts in other threads followed by a commercial link in the third post all in 4 minutes,

If i looks like spam and smells like spam.....
Nope sorry,NOT spam,I can assure you.
I actually joined in 2018(according to my profile)and have only posted here and there due to not having the boat yet.
JUST bought it-so you'll be seeing a lot of me [emoji846]
Mrs. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 11:24   #24

Boat: Bombay PH 31

If no inverter- french press and stovetop expresso maker.
https://www.google.com/search?q=cuba...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 08-10-2021, 11:47   #25

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyspc View Post
If no inverter- french press and stovetop expresso maker.
https://www.google.com/search?q=cuba...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Yes, we had one of these, about 30 years ago. Stopped using it and went to a Milita filter method which seemed simpler and less mess to clean up.

I think it is quite funny that the advert on Amazon shows a few dark roasted coffee beans scattered around on the table. In fact it is a feature of several other coffee maker ads. Oh, so clever, make the viewer think of expresso beans.

But hey! For someone who buys this expresso maker because they have no inverter, how do they grind the beans? By hand? Have you done that?

OK, you want expresso without having to use a electric one? Buy it (it's actually a form of percolator)

But for just plain good coffee, grind your beans daily (by electricity), heat the water in a teapot, and pour through a filter system (like Melita). Fast, clean simple, good!
Old 08-10-2021, 12:34   #26

Boat: Nicholson 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. View Post
Hello all,hope all is well.
We're about to purchase our FIRST sailboat and looking for recommendations on coffee pots? We HAVE to have our coffee!! Haha
Thanks so much!
I do like nice coffee.

I have settled on a local roaster who vacuum bags his roasted beans, a Japanese hand grinder and a stainless steel stovetop espresso machine - in my case a Bialetti induction one. I don’t have an induction stove - the reason for stainless steel not aluminium is that the grade of aluminium used in cooking utensils doesn’t like going to sea, and becomes hard to keep as clean as the coffee enthusiast likes.
Methersgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 15:39   #27

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
If you really enjoy coffee vs bitter, black-colored water, then I recommend a Thermos stainless steel coffee press. I think there is a similar Nissan brand one. It’s essentially an insulated French press.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Vacuu.../dp/B0829BKC36
I have one of these. We keep roasted beans on board in airtight containers, grind right before use (coffee grinder is about the only using the inverter now), and use this press.

Filtered water, a pinch of salt, let it bloom, top the water, stir, wait 4 mins, and .....ahhhhhhhh
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 15:42   #28

Another stainless steel French press fan here.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 16:11   #29

Boat: Trlåren 31

My favorite by far. No moving parts. No filters to buy or dispose of. Durable, no glass to break. Easier to clean than a french press. And the best coffee I've had.

https://www.bialetti.com/it_en/venus-929.html
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 16:46   #30

I use a Bialetti - great coffee, or an Aeropress fantastic coffee. Each has a unique flavor so I mix it up sometimes.

For the aeropress, I use a "pour over coffee pot" which allows for a much more controlled pour in rough weather than a normal tea pot and as a bonus makes better coffee out of the aeropress (the coffee blooms better).
Sailbaum is offline   Reply With Quote