Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2022, 19:01   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Combo microwave/convection oven/air fryer recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Our favorite galley appliance is the Sous-vide. Cooks beef, chicken, pork, fish better than any other method. Energy efficient. Easy cleanup. Fool proof. Meat is always done perfectly. Got rid of the BBQ. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You only cook it? No searing at all?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2022, 17:50   #17

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I've had good luck with this Panasonic. The microwave and convection oven are excellent. Don't buy it for the broiler or air-fryer as neither is really hot enough.

It's handy that the heat exhausts primarily to the back. The sides do not get hot so they can be mounted close to cabinetry as long as there is a few inches of air space on top and behind.

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NN-...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Panasonic 3rd vote for it. Using the NN-589 model with Steamer since 10 years.
Will swap now for the Panasonic CS-89 because the operation panel is on top which maximizes the oven room by adding 10cm width so even big pots fits.
I would add a Steamer function, it’s really easy to cook veggies with it.
Not cheap but worth every penny:
https://www.panasonic.com/ca/consume...nn-cs89lb.html
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2022, 18:39   #18
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Panasonic 3rd vote for it. Using the NN-589 model with Steamer since 10 years.
Will swap now for the Panasonic CS-89 because the operation panel is on top which maximizes the oven room by adding 10cm width so even big pots fits.
I would add a Steamer function, it’s really easy to cook veggies with it.
Not cheap but worth every penny:
https://www.panasonic.com/ca/consume...nn-cs89lb.html
The panel is not on too but on the right?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2022, 07:34   #19

Boat: Broom 39

Just bought a nice Russell Hobbs combi for our 44 foot stinkpot. That's here in Europe.
WindintheWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2022, 09:45   #20

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We have a Sharp Grill2Convection Microwave/Convection combo and love it.
Old 24-09-2022, 08:59   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The panel is not on too but on the right?
i should said specific the panel electronic:
go down to section "easy to clean" and you see how wide it is inside.

Important is if the front lid goes down, look at the width of the oven room and that is much wider then on the cheaper models. its just a touch screen in the lid, the electronic is put top and rear making the oven room wider but keeping the same outer measurements.

the CS-89 has 2 generations, i linked the newer one.
on the older model CS-89 model it was both physically on the upper part: the touchscreen and the electronic.
On new model CS-89 LB the touchscreen on the lid was put back to right but the electronic is put in the top part and rear keeping the wider inside space.

Its a 31l combo in the space and width of a 25l one, and compared to other countertop combos in can also be install as build in.
important for gimballed mono hull users because eg Eno gimbal is exactly as wide as this 25l mircowave combos. only 31l model fitting as gimballed.
Old 24-09-2022, 09:38   #22
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

My air fryer came from Lidl ,€29. Good unit. I like air fryers very versatile but it’s shore power only use.
Old 24-09-2022, 10:40   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
My air fryer came from Lidl ,€29. Good unit. I like air fryers very versatile but it’s shore power only use.
on land yes, on a boat just another piece for one purpose that's flying around and using space that's a premium.
multiuse and multipurpose is the key on a boat,
1 piece high quality and well that cost money.

my 4 in 1 Panasonic Convection oven, BBQ, steamer and microwave can all this too what an air fryer can do plus a lot more.
unfortunately it's not 29, it's 800 but since 10years so really paid off.
if you do a lot air frying there are convection, airfryer and microwave combos out there too.
Old 24-09-2022, 23:35   #24
Nearly an old salt

Combo microwave/convection oven/air fryer recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
on land yes, on a boat just another piece for one purpose that's flying around and using space that's a premium.
multiuse and multipurpose is the key on a boat,
1 piece high quality and well that cost money.

my 4 in 1 Panasonic Convection oven, BBQ, steamer and microwave can all this too what an air fryer can do plus a lot more.
unfortunately it's not 29, it's 800 but since 10years so really paid off.
if you do a lot air frying there are convection, airfryer and microwave combos out there too.

Nice but I don’t buy 10 year payback stuff I’ve 7 boats in 25 years !

Little use for a microwave , had one before mainly used by SWMBO to heat hot milk for her coffee

Air fryer over the winter ( I over winter at the marina ) is nice as it largely doubles as an oven and gets used for southern fried chicken and chips. The odd cake

I BBQ outside on gas but much less so in Greece because those cuts of meat are hard to source.

Hence my €29 air fryer sits in my on land storage area and gets put on the boat in November ( and my nespresso machine )

Summertime is mainly all fresh meals little hot Cooking anyway.

I could easily carry the air fryer under the forward bunk but it takes up space on the galley worktop and my AC system will likely never power it even after an expensive upgrade.
Old 25-09-2022, 06:56   #25

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Nice but I don’t buy 10 year payback stuff I’ve 7 boats in 25 years !

Little use for a microwave , had one before mainly used by SWMBO to heat hot milk for her coffee

Air fryer over the winter ( I over winter at the marina ) is nice as it largely doubles as an oven and gets used for southern fried chicken and chips. The odd cake

I BBQ outside on gas but much less so in Greece because those cuts of meat are hard to source.

Hence my €29 air fryer sits in my on land storage area and gets put on the boat in November ( and my nespresso machine )

Summertime is mainly all fresh meals little hot Cooking anyway.

I could easily carry the air fryer under the forward bunk but it takes up space on the galley worktop and my AC system will likely never power it even after an expensive upgrade.

Having a real oven in your galley changes the game a bit. For those of us who don't have a proper oven on board the convection microwave becomes a much more useful tool. And if you can power it, a microwave is handy for reheating leftovers (we don't use ours for much else).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2022, 07:04   #26
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Having a real oven in your galley changes the game a bit. For those of us who don't have a proper oven on board the convection microwave becomes a much more useful tool. And if you can power it, a microwave is handy for reheating leftovers (we don't use ours for much else).

Currently I have a gas oven , like all such ovens it’s good but has bad hot spots. But it’s cheap to run and easy to use.

Agree a microwave can occasionally be handy , I mean I have a big 1000W one at home.

On the boat I have no real place to put one , i threw the POs galley top one in the bin

One the size of a shoe box would be handy but these days they are getting bigger not smaller
Old 25-09-2022, 07:13   #27

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Currently I have a gas oven , like all such ovens it’s good but has bad hot spots. But it’s cheap to run and easy to use.

Agree a microwave can occasionally be handy , I mean I have a big 1000W one at home.

On the boat I have no real place to put one , i threw the POs galley top one in the bin

One the size of a shoe box would be handy but these days they are getting bigger not smaller

That also becomes the problem (and it's why combo appliances can be handy). There's only so much space in most galleys unless you have a huge boat. So you have to pick and choose what you can have.

In my case, I just have the stove with a microwave under it (boat was built in the 80s with an electric galley, so they figured a microwave was better than an oven). So the easy solution is to just enlarge the microwave hole a bit (there's enough room to go a couple inches wider) and put in a combo unit to get at least something for an oven.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2022, 07:22   #28
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
That also becomes the problem (and it's why combo appliances can be handy). There's only so much space in most galleys unless you have a huge boat. So you have to pick and choose what you can have.

In my case, I just have the stove with a microwave under it (boat was built in the 80s with an electric galley, so they figured a microwave was better than an oven). So the easy solution is to just enlarge the microwave hole a bit (there's enough room to go a couple inches wider) and put in a combo unit to get at least something for an oven.

Good idea but again there’s no way I can power a radiant heat oven , microwave or not. To do so would be $$$$$$$ upgrades. The Gas is cheap and it’s what’s there. Is it the best probably not , but it “ suffices “
Old 18-10-2022, 11:26   #29

Boat: Schionning, Solitaire 1520, 50'

We will have 2 spaces to put electric oven, microwave, air fryer or convection, and we're looking at the best combinations. As we're building the boat we have a little bit of wiggle room as far as size.
Rhonda S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2022, 12:35   #30

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda S View Post
We will have 2 spaces to put electric oven, microwave, air fryer or convection, and we're looking at the best combinations. As we're building the boat we have a little bit of wiggle room as far as size.

FWIW...

It's common these days to have a microwave, convection oven, and now also an air fryer, all combined in the same unit.

The microwave and oven functions have been sufficient for us, given an electric cooktop, given a propane grill outside, perhaps with some basic meal planning.

Haven't seen a need for a separate electric oven, although we might want more "oven" capability if we routinely baked bread and so forth... Given space, it might be easy enough to just use two combo unit, oven function in both...

-Chris

Tags
men, oven