Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2022, 13:18   #1

Boat: Schionning, Solitaire 1520, 50'
Combo microwave/convection oven/air fryer recommendations?

I'm really confused about the best set ups for an all electric galley. Does anyone have recommendations for combos and brands?
Rhonda S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2022, 15:37   #2

Re: Combo microwave/convection oven/air fryer recommendations?

We got a Galanz brand microwave/convection/air fryer through walmart.com for a dirt cheap price. It fit where we needed it to, and has worked flawlessly for two years. I think the model we got was specific to walmart, although Galanz generally is not.

As a convection or conventional oven it works perfectly. I wouldn't know how to tell a great microwave from a mediocre one, but this one functions as I expect it too. It's not the most awesome air-fryer you'll ever see, but space is limited and we'd not have an air fryer otherwise.

We don't have an all-electric galley and are not likely to have one, ever, but this has been a nice addition.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2022, 16:21   #3

Boat: Schionning, Solitaire 1520, 50'

I will check out the Galanz and check wattage. Thanks! Anybody else?
Old 14-09-2022, 05:04   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda S View Post
I'm really confused about the best set ups for an all electric galley. Does anyone have recommendations for combos and brands?
We had a Sharp in the previous boat, and it's a Panasonic in this one.

Our determining factor has been mostly about what fits the surrounding "hole in the cabinetry where it lives. Sort of without regard to brand/model.

Haven't seen much difference in actual use, although the Sharp was from before the air fryer function has typically become included.

-Chris
Old 14-09-2022, 06:51   #5

Boat: Kanter 54

Toshiba dome top. Does steam as well. Fits the Force 10 hole. Going strong after 2 years. 350c maximum temperature makes great pizza.
Audeamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2022, 18:33   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Need to be dirt cheap? Why even change to all electric when there’s no budget to do it right?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 02:11   #7

Boat: TRT 1200 GT

ItDepends didn't say that he bought that brand because it was dirt cheap. Just that it was dirt cheap, which might have been a nice side effect.

I am sceptical about the small all-in machines with microwave + convection. I tried out a few rather expensive ones (Panasonic, Sharp and a third brand I can't remember), but even though they had good reviews on Amazon they sucked when we tried to use then as a conventional convection oven. Uneven and not hot/stable enough. I guess the good reviews are from people who only use them to heat up a pizza.

We settled for an air-frier/convection oven (Cecotec Bake&Fry 3000 Touch, sold under many names) as it fit perfectly into the old space. That unit bakes at least as good as our big, domestic one at home, but with a smaller interior space of course. Breville and Rommelsbacher would be two other brands I have heard good things about from people who actually bake in their oven.
toolbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 04:30   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbar View Post
ItDepends didn't say that he bought that brand because it was dirt cheap. Just that it was dirt cheap, which might have been a nice side effect.

I am sceptical about the small all-in machines with microwave + convection. I tried out a few rather expensive ones (Panasonic, Sharp and a third brand I can't remember), but even though they had good reviews on Amazon they sucked when we tried to use then as a conventional convection oven. Uneven and not hot/stable enough. I guess the good reviews are from people who only use them to heat up a pizza.

We settled for an air-frier/convection oven (Cecotec Bake&Fry 3000 Touch, sold under many names) as it fit perfectly into the old space. That unit bakes at least as good as our big, domestic one at home, but with a smaller interior space of course. Breville and Rommelsbacher would be two other brands I have heard good things about from people who actually bake in their oven.
I asked because it often comes down to wanting something like an all electric galley, but it has to be dirt cheap. I would recommend to keep a much better outfitted propane based galley in that case

We use a dedicated small microwave plus a Breville convection oven / air fryer which we have been very happy with for years. The microwave will be gimballed when I get to that project because it is what we use when underway (we heat pre-made or home canned meals while underway). All the baking is done while at anchor or in light conditions so no need for a gimbal there.

We too tried the Panasonic all in one units. We gave up after returning two to Amazon as they had problems right out of the box (platform didn’t turn, microwave didn’t work etc.)

Old 15-09-2022, 04:38   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I moved the thread into this forum because its more appropriate for cooking etc.

Have you had a read of the other recent thread in this forum about electric cooking?

We looked at convection ovens but it would mean changing the inverter, we may yet but for now settled on a Remoska instead at 580w rather than 1500w or so for convection. Over the last 3 weeks on board we have been really impressed so have brought it home with us to use rather than the house domestic oven. This probably means I will now buy another for the boat.

Roast Duck the other night

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roast_Duck.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	264538  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 06:01   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Roast Duck the other night

Pete
Looking good! Did the duck get too close to the boat?

Old 15-09-2022, 08:08   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Looking good! Did the duck get too close to the boat?
Mrs 7 would have kittens if I did that. Caught an eel one night, she screamed and stood on the coming, the dog legged it up to the bow and I was left to sort it out as the eel wriggled around the cockpit. I suggested jellied eel and she said no way, so the eel lived another day.

Duck came from Asda (Walmart) free range and a similar price per Kg to their Chickens, there was no hesitation on my part. 90 minutes in the Remoska and another 30 for the roast pots, job done for 3/4 of our daily solar generation
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 09:30   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Mrs 7 would have kittens if I did that. Caught an eel one night, she screamed and stood on the coming, the dog legged it up to the bow and I was left to sort it out as the eel wriggled around the cockpit. I suggested jellied eel and she said no way, so the eel lived another day.

Duck came from Asda (Walmart) free range and a similar price per Kg to their Chickens, there was no hesitation on my part. 90 minutes in the Remoska and another 30 for the roast pots, job done for 3/4 of our daily solar generation

On the idea of self reliance, Josie and me did an online hunting course. We completed it, passed the exam and got our certificate of completion. The only thing left to get your diploma is a 1-day field test, but we were so grossed out from what we learned with the theory part, that we still didn’t go until today and that’s from before Covid haha

Old 15-09-2022, 17:52   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Need to be dirt cheap? Why even change to all electric when there’s no budget to do it right?
Actually, we do not have an all electric galley, and do not covet one. We have an induction plate, and it does one thing really well, but for general cooking, it takes decidedly second place to gas. The heat is just not evenly distributed across the pan. But I am a very fussy cook...

We got the Galanz unit because it was the only one we could ever find that fit the space and clearances we have. The price wasn't even a consideration. We would happily have spent 4 times as much. Honestly, we almost didn't buy it because the price was so low it was hard to take seriously. That would have been a mistake.

We use it predominantly as a convection oven. And it does an excellent job. Temperature control is spot on and it just works. We almost never use it as a microwave except for a quick reheat or defrosting.

The gas oven gets used for things too big for the convection unit, and when we need its totally awesome broiler.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 18:51   #14

I've had good luck with this Panasonic. The microwave and convection oven are excellent. Don't buy it for the broiler or air-fryer as neither is really hot enough.

It's handy that the heat exhausts primarily to the back. The sides do not get hot so they can be mounted close to cabinetry as long as there is a few inches of air space on top and behind.

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NN-...ct_top?ie=UTF8
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 19:00   #15

Our favorite galley appliance is the Sous-vide. Cooks beef, chicken, pork, fish better than any other method. Energy efficient. Easy cleanup. Fool proof. Meat is always done perfectly. Got rid of the BBQ. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, oven