Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2011, 16:33   #1

Boat: Endeavour 42
Costco

While cruising the east coast of the US, is a Costco membership useful? Are there enough close to anchorages and marinas to be worth our while?
Trox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 18:01   #2

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: Costco

I can't comment on how worthwhile a membership would be... but I do know that If you know somebody with a costco membership, you can get them to buy gift cards for you, you can use them without a membership. So maybe just get one or two of those for the rare occasion you'll need to resupply on toilet paper, or whatever else you'd normally get from there
Old 13-06-2011, 18:07   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Between Costco, BJ's and Sam's Clubs I think you will find more Sam's Clubs than the other two. Next would be BJ's. Costco is rather rare. Almost all of them are located many miles from the nearest marina or shore access. Almost always they are located out of towns in mega or large shopping mall areas. You need a car to get to them.
- - But warehouse clubs specialize in bulk amounts of the most popular foods, etc. the average land lubber buys. Most of the stuff is trash or rather unhealthy stuff. There maybe a few good buys but who needs 36 cans of tomato sauce and where are you going to put it on board?
- - So unless you are buying for the Queen Mary, I think you will find selections better in local supermarkets or Super-Walmarts or Super Targets.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 18:12   #4

Boat: Endeavour 42
Thanks for the input. I like the meats and wine at Costco. Good idea about the gift cards, thanks!
Trox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 18:35   #5

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Here in Louisiana if you go to the Rouse's Markets near the ports, they will deliver to the boats. But we were dropping over $400.oo on each trip to the store. Am not sure if all Rouse's will do that... but some did.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 19:07   #6

Boat: Able 50

Costco is only a good idea if you have a car. They are always hidden away in some Far off industrial area where the land is cheaper. The money you save on groceries is eaten up by car rental costs.

Maybe wait for the times when you were going to rent a car anyway.

The basic idea of provisioning your boat at Costco is great. I do it.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 19:22   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC

Sav

You say the money you save is eaten by car rental, then say provisioning at costco is great...a contradiction?

I doubt I'll be renting a car very often. I suspect the costcos are not very close to anchorages and just not practical.

But a good question...
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 19:26   #8

Boat: Tartan 30

You can use google maps to find the city you wish to visit, then search for costco (or anything else) and watch the little red things pop up.... its a nifty trick for figuring the lay of the land in a place you've never been.

I think Sav is just saying that costco has good deals... but maybe they are not worth the price of finding a costco.
Old 13-06-2011, 19:53   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
Sav

You say the money you save is eaten by car rental, then say provisioning at costco is great...a contradiction?

I doubt I'll be renting a car very often. I suspect the costcos are not very close to anchorages and just not practical.

But a good question...
Not at all. I have never been to Costco in a rented car. Last provisioning run I did a crew's wife flew in and rented a car for a week to do the tourist thing. We used that and spent 3 hours doing a shopping run to Costco. $450 later . . . .
Old 13-06-2011, 20:01   #10
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

Where are you cruising? Costco in Panama City, PANAMA that is, is a great idea! We were able to borrow a marina employees card for provisioning for six months and it saved us a BUNCH of money!!!

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 20:19   #11

The best way to use Costco is to grab a year's supply of as much as you can before leaving your home port. Groceries always cost a bomb in faraway places.
Old 13-06-2011, 22:21   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv Winterlude View Post
Where are you cruising? Costco in Panama City, PANAMA that is, is a great idea! We were able to borrow a marina employees card for provisioning for six months and it saved us a BUNCH of money!!!
I was referring to the Costco in Honolulu which is out of town in an industrial area near the airport.

Actually, when the time comes I'll probably bite the bullet and rent a car for the day. Doing most of your grocery shopping in one outing has its own value. The alternative is six or more journeys to a supermarket.
Old 14-06-2011, 04:10   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trox View Post
While cruising the east coast of the US, is a Costco membership useful? Are there enough close to anchorages and marinas to be worth our while?
Not really. You'll be shopping, rather than provisioning.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 07:56   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i find the local owned and run markets much more convenient and much less pricey than costco. yes i have a membership--got that in ensenada for 30 dollars....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:41   #15

Boat: Sinek, Pilothouse, 43ft

We love our Costco membership for items like cheese, coffee, dish soap, vinegar, etc. It has paid for itself many times over in the amounts we save. I am strategic when I provision...ie when I am in town with family, I borrow a car, if we know someone going we hop in, or if have access to a car rental like when we went to see family, we save the last day of the rental for provisioning. We only go about four to six times a year so it's not too difficult. My vote, is yes it pays off...and then the rest of the time you can just hit the small farmers markets and little shops to support local and buy fresh.
SV Maclas is offline   Reply With Quote