Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2011, 07:28   #61
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Costco Canned Chicken . . . a Contender

Were you watching Master Chef at the same time? I seem to save all my best culinary abominations for when that is on TV

And you could have finished off the meal with one of these:-

The good news is that although includes ice cream, they don't really melt The bad news is that when left out of the freezer overnight they seem to simply give up on life
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 16:24   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Were you watching Master Chef at the same time? I seem to save all my best culinary abominations for when that is on TV
I gave up watching MasterChef when I finally figured out that beouf jus avec les oniogn was a posh way of saying "Bisto gravy".

If I want culinary abominations then I can always let Mrs Minty cook. It's amazing what she can do with good ingredients. In fact it's amazing that no matter what ingredients she starts with, she manages to produce ... well... there's no good description, but it always looks the same.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 09:54   #63
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

And you could have finished off the meal with one of these:-

The good news is that although includes ice cream, they don't really melt The bad news is that when left out of the freezer overnight they seem to simply give up on life
as for canned "Chicken of the Sea" my bro at the walmart told me the USA stores got stuck with some "knock-off" tuna recently dumped it on Mexico locations. Not sure if it was "Bmblebee" brand or what but alot was sold stateside and the whole matter is on the QT. Apparantly they can this tuna at sea with dolphin etc and sell it by the truckload to the big-box stores with counterfeit labels. Remember the "stag" brand chili deaths in USA well this time Costco, Walmart dont want publicity. Just thought i would let all you chicken lovers and canned food eaters know the lowest price isnt allways the real McCoy with canned food.
rockbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:15   #64

But why not can it yourself? Cheaper and the quality is far superior.
I can chicken breast and thighs, buy it when on offer in the stores. Really simple, put a couple of breasts or thighs in a pint jar, fill with water,put lid on and process for 1 hour and 15 minutes. That's all there is to it!

Just had a super chicken pie onboard, 1 can chicken, 1 can sweetcorn,couple rashers bacon all mixed in a white sauce, stir in big spoon dried parsley, top with a shortcrust pastry, bake 30 mins. I would put a picture up but we just finished it all!

I can stewing beef, some just meat to make fancier dishes with and some with veggies as a stew for those rough passages when you just want to reheat something fast. Also in that category goes the spaghetti bolognaise sauce. We eat that straight or make a lasagna etc.

We only have a small refrigerator and often spend long periods away from civilization. It's great to have these staples stored away for when the fresh stuff runs out.

I also take advantage of seasonal bargains, this years greatest triumph is tiny whole figs canned in a light syrup absolutely yummy and costed out at under $1 a jar>
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:13   #65

Boat: Ackerman Newporter 40LOD, 50LOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by annk
I can chicken breast and thighs, buy it when on offer in the stores. Really simple, put a couple of breasts or thighs in a pint jar, fill with water,put lid on and process for 1 hour and 15 minutes. That's all there is to it!
This is great. And stewing beef too, you say?
Old 07-02-2012, 13:46   #66

Yup, little more work with stewing beef. Cut into one inch cubes and brown in small amount of oil. When browned simmer in water to cover until hot through. Pack in one pint jars,ladle hot cooking liquid over. top and process for 1 hour and 15 mins.

To some beef I add cut up carrots, onions and potatoes,celery and a few herbs, bring to the boil and then can as above. This can be thickened with a spoon of cornstarch when you reheat to make a rich and flavorsome gravy!

You can do the same with pork but I haven't been so successful with lamb. That seems to develop a rather strong flavor.
Old 17-02-2012, 20:37   #67

OMG!!! i just googled for canned chicken and this was thrown at me....

A WHOLE chicken in a CAN | I Hate My Message Board
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 20:43   #68

Boat: Able 50

Saves plenty on toothpicks.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 21:26   #69

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We pressure cooker can fish,chicken,beef,and veggies,when the local farmers markets have good stuff we will can some like carrots,and such. makes for easy suppers. and the home canned tuna is SO GOOD !! it makes a meal out of the jar!! Just us old timers savin the bucks for more cruiseing money, ya know fuel propane other odds and ends!and still eating real Good !! just a thought Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 05:25   #70

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
Canned chicken?
chicken is put int he can raw, then cooked in some water while sealed int he can. It is a VERY good product. I have used it on occasion on the yachts I hate to say when guests wanted an immediate lunch
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 06:29   #71

Good recipe for using canned chicken:
Fruity curry

I can chicken, that's home canned which is two breasts
50g butter or olive oil
1 small onion peeled and finely chopped
small can pineapple chunks
1 banana cubed
1 appled peeled and cubed
2tbsp curry powder
75ml chicken stock
75ml coconut milk or double cream
50g raisins
salt and pepper

melt butter. Add onion, banana and apple. Stir then add curry powder,coconut milk, stock,raisins, salt and pepper to taste.
Bring to the boil then simmer gently for 15 minutes.
Drain chicken, flake flesh and add to pot with drained pineapple. Heat for 5 minutes then serve with rice.

Really easy and very tasty.
Old 27-02-2012, 01:01   #72

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

We are 3/4 way around in our circumnavigation. Chicken is one of those foods that has been available everywhere....repeat...EVERYWHERE that we have visited. Why would anyone want commercially canned chicken? Never bought it. Hope never to have to. Why eat canned anything when fresh is so readily available.

Canning your own from fresh makes sense if you are going to be without refrigeration. That way you know for certain exactly what you are eating.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 01:43   #73

Boat: Able 50

Perhaps you have never spent several weeks in an uninhabited place. Canned chicken is great stuff as is canned beef when fresh is not available and your boat does not have a freezer.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 07:43   #74

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Perhaps you have never spent several weeks in an uninhabited place. Canned chicken is great stuff as is canned beef when fresh is not available and your boat does not have a freezer.
Oh, so not true. I have spent months in uninhabited places. But our boat does have ample freezers. I stocked 2 freezers in Panama and we ate extremely well all across the South Pacific for 8 months without having to purchase a single meat item. But if our boat did not have freezers I would choose to can my own chicken and beef rather than buy commercially processed who-knows-what. As others pointed out, if you can it yourself then you are know for certain what you are eating. And it tastes better.

I have never bought canned chicken but have bought canned beef. Won't be doing that again.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 07:51   #75

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

You do realize that Cosco is Chinese right??? China Overseas Shipping Group.
Just sayin....

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote