Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2021, 10:01   #181

Re: Could one substitute Vegemite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
...every time I hear "Vegemite" mentioned it reminds me of this:

["Land Down Under" song by Men at Work]
You're coming late to the party, Growley,

See Post #58...
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 10:45   #182

pirate Re: Could one substitute Vegemite?

OK - there's a heap of fake news slathered on this sandwich .....

First I should provide my expert credentials to validate my comments below. Originally from Scotland, where as a child I won a marmite eating competition at school, I lived in Oz for a while before moving to Canada. (you will recognize that I now have no dog in this fight as Canada has no equivalent to either Marmite or Vegemite).

Why argue over which is "Best" or "Better" - it is seldom that we are faced with the dilemma of choosing Marmite or Vegemite over each other (except recently for me when I was in an "Imported Food" store which had both - so I bought both). So the issue of "is this one better than that one" seldom arises in real life. They are both good.

In the same vein - British beer (esp Scottish) offers a wonderful range of styles and tastes Ales, Lagers Stouts, Bitters, Heavys etc. As a teenager in Oz I had less choice VB, MB, Fosters and Carlton Bitter was all Victoria offered - but they all were wonderful and there was no resemblance to Gnatt's Piss (At least I think that as I have never knowingly tired it). Canada does have a dog in this game and offers some great beers. I would gladly sit all day and pass judgement on a range of British, Australian or Canadian beers and leave the table happy.

Now, here is the real key to this post - the discussion was on the right track with the sharp cheddar/Marmite sandwich on the rail argument BUT I contend that the Sandwich Supreme (my name) is even better - the same cheese, whole wheat bread, Marmite/Vegemite (your choice) peanut butter and tomato Sauce/Ketchup/catsup - now that's a sandwich to make any sailing trip memorable - try it you might find a new culinary orgasmic delight.

In closing allow me to say that arguments of "best" always seem to raise people's blood pressure - but there never will be a definitive answer - so as far as religion, politics, beer, sandwiches or spreads (V or M) and their application in gourmet meals go, enjoy what's in front of you. Why can't we all just get along ...... (except of course sailing is far superior to stinkpotting).
gmowbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 10:53   #183

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
You're coming late to the party, Growley,

See Post #58...
LittleWing77
Well, darn. It popped up in my feed. Sorry. "vegemite sandwhich" is just an irresistable association.
Old 29-03-2021, 11:00   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmowbray View Post
Now, here is the real key to this post - the discussion was on the right track with the sharp cheddar/Marmite sandwich on the rail argument BUT I contend that the Sandwich Supreme (my name) is even better - the same cheese, whole wheat bread, Marmite/Vegemite (your choice) peanut butter and tomato Sauce/Ketchup/catsup - now that's a sandwich to make any sailing trip memorable - try it you might find a new culinary orgasmic delight.
If you hand me one of those when I'm sitting on the rail, as GiLow says, getting alternately drenched and frozen, I'm not gonna have an orgasm, I'm gonna jump over the side.

Note to Self: No Offshore Racing with Mowbray!

LittleWing77
(Great post, though, Mowbray - hilarious!)
Old 29-03-2021, 11:07   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Well, darn. It popped up in my feed. Sorry. "vegemite sandwhich" is just an irresistable association.
For "irresistable associations" see Posts #11, #19, #28, maybe #29... but then the whole thread goes off the rails for a few pages because we were all laughing so hard.

Oh, and Wottie is King
Madame President, Wotname Fan Club
Old 29-03-2021, 12:40   #186

Boat: Island Packet 40

There is a theory that the obesity epidemic in western societies is being fueled by the lack of taste diversity in modern diets, that is people tend to overeat in a futile search of taste gratification and that the strong taste tang of Vegemite on toast for breakfast goes a long way in satisfying the need leading to far less food consumption during the following day. However if one attempts to satisfy the need with an inferior product like Marmite the beneficial effect will nor result.
Old 29-03-2021, 12:51   #187
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
There is a theory that the obesity epidemic in western societies is being fueled by the lack of taste diversity in modern diets, that is people tend to overeat in a futile search of taste gratification and that the strong taste tang of Vegemite on toast for breakfast goes a long way in satisfying the need leading to far less food consumption during the following day. However if one attempts to satisfy the need with an inferior product like Marmite the beneficial effect will nor result.

Got that ass backwards..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 15:11   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Marmite is definitely the GO!

Apparently there is a new Product in the UK which is a Marmite and Peanut Butter Spread - Anyone tried it?
Oh yes it’s great on toast with loads of extra butter . We also have marmite flavoured cashew nuts , which are great, and marmite flavoured rice cakes , which are not .... just sayin ....
Splashman237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 15:26   #189

Boat: Buccaneer 16ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Naah.. Just keep the main weight low and the lesser central..
Ezeepezee
Nah, I think there is only one person in the canoe.
Old fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 15:28   #190
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fella View Post
Nah, I think there is only one person in the canoe.
Ahh.!!!
Mountain Man style..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 15:50   #191

Boat: Buccaneer 16ft

A table spoon of marmite with lambs fry and bacon is enough to make your thing ping.
Old fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 19:44   #192

Boat: Still building

To further complicate matters Australian, there is a rival spread DownUnder called 'Promite' and as I grew up eating both Promite and Vegemite, I admit to being torn at times between the two. Promite is labeled a vegetable extract, not a yeast extract, so there is that difference, and Promite is runnier than Vegemite, possibly even less viscous that Marmite, which I did try - once - at the home of a Pommie expat in Perth WA (that's Western Australia for all you confused PNWers).
It really is horses for courses, but I suspect simple familiarisation has more to do with it.

But most definitely, both Vegemite and Promite are spread very thinly - like scraping the stuff over the surface, rather than 'spreading'.

That Lemon Curd stuff someone else referred to is in Oz known as Lemon Butter, and is basically butter, lemon juice, lemon zest and eggs, curded together on low heat then bottled. Lots of sugar is added to sweeten and detract form the zesty lemon, to taste.

I've made it and bottled it myself, but you need to have a chicken run and a lemon tree or it's ridiculously expensive. Especially as you only use the yolks not the white.

However, in Oz and NZ, the whites can be frozen for later use in the meringue of Pavlova - a yummy dessert neither nation is prepared to accept was invented by the other.

And for the record, the 'real hero' was Cyril Percy Callister, the inventor of Vegemite.

There should be a statue for him somewhere!

Maybe in his birthplace of Chute, Victoria, a location which somewhat fraudulently refers to itself as the 'Pyrenees'. Something of a misnomer for flat farmland at a mildly raised altitude....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chute_callister.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	235463  
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 20:47   #193

Marmite is the way to go and taste so much better
rjacckson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 21:35   #194

Boat: Island Packet 40

When I was a boy one knew the onset of winter was looming when all the "Hot Rum and Bonox Now Served" signs went up outside the bars.
Old 30-03-2021, 00:19   #195

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

I have it on good authority that on Thursday it will be announced by the Australian scientific organisation, CSIRO, that they have discovered a substance that will not only prevent Covid, it will cure anyone unfortunate to have caught this disease. The substance, rumor has it, is Vegemite. A full course for both prevention and cure will be one small jar consumed over the space of a month.

Unfortunately, it appears that only Australians will be thus protected and saved as all the rest of the world is unlikely to be able finish the prescribed course.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote