Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2021, 12:18   #226

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Re: Could one substitute Vegemite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
As an occasional visitor to ole Blighty over the years, I must laugh when I read the term "British Cuisine".
You're not entirely wrong - my son contends the expansion of the Empire was driven entirely by a desire to find decent weather and food with flavour. But for all that, Sunday roast dinner with Yorkshire pudding is still a marvelous meal, and plenty of other comfort foods abound - Shepherd's pie, bangers n mash, and good ol' fish and chips to name a few. You know what they say about people in glass houses? What has the US contributed to gastronomy - pressure frying and processing to point that it's no longer actually considered "food"?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:25   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
whoa......hang on...Cornish pasty meat pie is just another english word for " brick".

nah, I'm talking hot, steamy, melt in your hands meat pie....that's what I'm talkin' about....
Why the hell would you want your pie to melt in your hands? The brilliance of the pasty is that it comes with a handle, so it doesn't get all over your hands. As it was originally intended it would keep whatever's on your hands from getting into your insides - just like pizza and sushi.
Old 01-04-2021, 13:03   #228

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
Hard to find a Starbucks here. Maybe at the airport
Starbucks stuffed up in Australia, where we prefer to drink real coffee.

' when Starbucks opened here they understood that failing to provide a flat white would be a major mistake.

The first Starbucks store in Australia opened in Sydney in July 2000. But it seems that they misread the coffee culture in Australia. Initially, the product offering featured sweeter coffees than Australians were used to, and at higher prices than most cafés. The chain opened too many outlets too quickly, operating more than 80 stores by 2008. However, in that year 70 per cent of them had closed, leaving just 23 outlets throughout Australia.'

That is from here - https://australianfoodtimeline.com.a...ucks-launched/

The donut chain went much the same way.
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 13:47   #229
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

nah, the meat pies I remember came in a little packet or served on small mini-tray....even so, any spillage was caught and licked off your hands and fingers.....yum....

THE USA's gift to cuisine (and probably the world for that matter)....Budweiser, McDonald's hamburger and french fries...sad....but true...super-size it while yer at it....and't don't forget yer 48 oz of coca cola....

British "fish 'n chips" was a good 'un, coupled together with a good shake of the vinegar bottle and salt shaker.....and I remember "pigeon pie", but never took to that...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 14:08   #230

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
You guys are funny. Steak and kidney pie, Melton Mowbray, Cornish pasty - those are iconic and entirely English. Sorry to break the news to you but the vast repertoire of Australian "cuisine" (as well as that from the little speck to the left) has been ripped off, sadly mostly from the Pommies. The only truly iconic foodstuff out of the Antipodes is putting beetroot on burgers.
That's nonsense, ethnically Australia is now one of the mist disparate countries in the world due to it's high immigration rate post WW2 and they all bought their cuisine with them. We "rip off" from everyone and the English probably ripped off pie from the Romans anyway.

About the only thing I have not tried is Eskimo food and it's highly probable that someone is going to post the address of some place I can pick up a seal blubber hamburger or dried fish on toast in response to this post.
Old 01-04-2021, 14:40   #231

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
Hard to find a Starbucks here. Maybe at the airport
> Location: Gold Coast, Australia ?

There's at least one in Southport,two in Surfers and one at Broadbeach.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 14:47   #232

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
We "rip off" from everyone and the English probably ripped off pie from the Romans anyway.
Nah, they ripped them off from "Cut me own throat" Dibbler
Old 01-04-2021, 14:49   #233

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
That's nonsense, ethnically Australia is now one of the mist disparate countries in the world due to it's high immigration rate post WW2 and they all bought their cuisine with them. We "rip off" from everyone and the English probably ripped off pie from the Romans anyway.

About the only thing I have not tried is Eskimo food and it's highly probable that someone is going to post the address of some place I can pick up a seal blubber hamburger or dried fish on toast in response to this post.

Pie? Eskimo ?

Old 01-04-2021, 15:14   #234

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
> Location: Gold Coast, Australia ?

There's at least one in Southport,two in Surfers and one at Broadbeach.
That says more about the people in those locales than the product on sale.

The only airport Starbucks in Australia is at Sydney International.

https://www.starbucks.com.au/Store-Locator.php
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 15:21   #235

I got tired of arguments on a subject I have no clue about, so I've ordered some Marmite in order to form my own opinion and join one of the sides in the completely pointless battle on something that seems completely irrelevant and done by strangers on the internet.
This is fun.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 15:50   #236

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_SD View Post
I got tired of arguments on a subject I have no clue about, so I've ordered some Marmite in order to form my own opinion and join one of the sides in the completely pointless battle on something that seems completely irrelevant and done by strangers on the internet.
This is fun.

I for one look forward to a complete analysis and in depth report on your findings.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 15:51   #237

Quote:

The number 1 source of immigrants is Blighty. Meat pie predates the Romans by roughly 9 millennia, and they don't like to be called Eskimos - Inuit and Aleut and probably others.
Old 01-04-2021, 16:42   #238

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
British "fish 'n chips" was a good 'un...
Yes it is. And yet it came to the UK from the continent with Jews via Portugal.

Japanese Tempura originated in Portugal too, as did Indian Vindaloo Curry.

As far as meat pies are concerned, there are various items in Eastern Europe (that appear to have come from even further east in central asia) that could be viewed as precursors to meat pies too.

The world's history, including it's culinary history has far more overlap than has been commonly accepted.

I'm always amazed by certain things that are strongly associated as being real icons of a particular country, only to find that they are not orginially from that country at all really.

Flamenco dance in Spain is another good example. Brought to Spain by the Gypsy / Roma people via North Africa, and originating way back, in India.

Along with French Steak Tartare, supposedly derived from the Tartar people of Central Asia who would put raw meat under the saddle of their horse to tenderise.

In a similar vein, the well known French Word 'Bistro' - may not be French at all, but Russian - быстро: quick, fast, soon, etc (although the French have tried to debunk this).

The world is a fascinating place.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 16:46   #239

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_SD View Post
This is fun.

Hope you got the smallest jar avaiable
Old 01-04-2021, 17:01   #240
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

my meat pies suck....but I can make a wowser sausage roll....don't forget those..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1550.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	444.8 KB
ID:	235670  
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote