Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2021, 20:01   #256

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Could one substitute Vegemite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
....StuM, would soon be slave to it's enticements....guaranteed !!!

The secret off course, is the coriander ...
See post #252
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 23:42   #257

Boat: no boat any more
Wink Re: Could one substitute Vegemite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Oooooh! I don't recall every coming across "lucullian/lucullan" before. ("lucullan" appears to be the more common spelling) Thank you for adding to my vocabulary
in view of the frequent terrible misspellings comitted by native speakers here on CF, I, Kraut native speaker will bw forgiven , I pray...
Old 03-04-2021, 01:49   #258
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Seeing as we have moved on from the Vegemite / marmite wars and onto other funny foods and their associated cultural heritage, I was wondering what the North Americans have contributed to the world's cuisine. Initially I was stumped but the mention of Jerky and Biltong kickstarted the brain cells.

Here you go, they gave us Pemmican, energy dense, extremely long lasting and tastes absolutely disgusting. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pemmican

It has travelled around the world and found advocates in British Polar expeditions and the SA Boer War.

I made some about six years ago using traditional methods from grass feed lean beef and rendered suet (tallow).

Since then it has been stored in the back of the shed in plastic containers. After two years, I tried it and while it was nutritionally OK, I would have to be hungry to enjoy it. The dog came back for more.

To be honest, I had forgotten about it until this thread got me thinking about it.

Now remember this uncooked 'meat/fat' has been sitting in a plastic container on a shelf in an unlined out building for six years. It looked and smelt the same as when it was made. It tased the same (still disgusting) and the dog still liked it. I assume it is still safe to eat. I could only stomach a mere teaspoon of it but the dog was happy to eat as much as I would dish out.

Thanks to our North American friends for this long lasting nutritious food.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4858.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	444.8 KB
ID:	235759  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:33   #259

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Seeing as we have moved on from the Vegemite / marmite wars and onto other funny foods and their associated cultural heritage, I was wondering what the North Americans have contributed to the world's cuisine. Initially I was stumped but the mention of Jerky and Biltong kickstarted the brain cells.

Here you go, they gave us Pemmican, energy dense, extremely long lasting and tastes absolutely disgusting. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pemmican

It has travelled around the world and found advocates in British Polar expeditions and the SA Boer War.

I made some about six years ago using traditional methods from grass feed lean beef and rendered suet (tallow).

Since then it has been stored in the back of the shed in plastic containers. After two years, I tried it and while it was nutritionally OK, I would have to be hungry to enjoy it. The dog came back for more.

To be honest, I had forgotten about it until this thread got me thinking about it.

Now remember this uncooked 'meat/fat' has been sitting in a plastic container on a shelf in an unlined out building for six years. It looked and smelt the same as when it was made. It tased the same (still disgusting) and the dog still liked it. I assume it is still safe to eat. I could only stomach a mere teaspoon of it but the dog was happy to eat as much as I would dish out.

Thanks to our North American friends for this long lasting nutritious food.
Next time you invite me around for dins I shall be 'otherwise engaged'.

Biltong? Every other street corner in Greater Auckland seems to have a store with a Safrican flag - the new one - flying, a stuffed elephant or some such out front, and a big sign saying 'Biltong!!!'.

Back when the world was young(er) on more then one occasion in Kaapstad I have seen nice young ladies of my acquaintance open their handbag , pull out a slab of biltong and a very sharp knife and proceed to shave off a few slices for an evening snack.

The sharpness of the knife tended to dull ones ardour........
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:43   #260
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

You will missing out on Hoosh then....

Others will be eating your share...

It's OK if you wanna reconsider (no hard feelings)...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoosh
https://www.coolantarctica.com/schoo...osh_recipe.php

Oh, the dog reckons it's OK if you pass but I'll be miffed.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:43   #261

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Seeing as we have moved on from the Vegemite / marmite wars and onto other funny foods and their associated cultural heritage, I was wondering what the North Americans have contributed to the world's cuisine.

What is "world cuisine"? Seems most foods are simply regional variations on something pre-existing. N American contributions to cuisine should surely include the previously mentioned Cajun and Creole styles, Southern-fried chicken and barbecue, flipper pie, tourtiere, poutine, candied salmon, maple syrup and the Nanaimo bar.

Your pemmican looks rather colourless - did you add berries?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:58   #262
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

rarely seen in the US backyard...is the whole animal barbecue.....but this is also quite common in SA, where an entire pig or sheep is thrown on the barbie...cooking begins the night before, usually accompanied by copious quantities of alcohol and carries on into the next day....
sheep meat is quite common in SA, but rarely seen in the USA....???
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:05   #263
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Could one substitute Vegemite?

Quote:
rarely seen in the US backyard...is the whole animal barbecue.....but this is also quite common in SA, where an entire pig or sheep is thrown on the barbie...cooking begins the night before, usually accompanied by copious quantities of alcohol and carries on into the next day....
Don't you go to the movies..
They were driven out by cattle ranchers and their herds slaughtered..
The Sheep Wars, or the Sheep and Cattle Wars, were a series of armed conflicts in the Western United States which were fought between sheepmen and cattlemen over grazing rights. Sheep wars occurred in many western states though they were most common in Texas, Arizona and the border region of Wyoming and Colorado.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:37   #264
Marine Service Provider

ha, my bad, I rarely go to movies or rent them....maybe once every five years or more....same for TV, can easily live without it.

interestingly, in my early year in SA, there was no TV at all....none...zero...zilch..people actually talked to each other...radio shows were the " thing"....

now everyone walks around with a cell phone glued to their face...sigh.....time to head back to sea again...regain my soul....
Old 03-04-2021, 13:53   #265

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

Biltong? Every other street corner in Greater Auckland seems to have a store with a Safrican flag - the new one - flying, a stuffed elephant or some such out front, and a big sign saying 'Biltong!!!'.

Back when the world was young(er) on more then one occasion in Kaapstad I have seen nice young ladies of my acquaintance open their handbag , pull out a slab of biltong and a very sharp knife and proceed to shave off a few slices for an evening snack.

The sharpness of the knife tended to dull ones ardour........
Although the dried meat called Biltong is closely associated with SA dried and smoked meat and fish preservation was a fairly widely practiced food preservation technology in many old societies. Probably a similar situation with pies anywhere grain was cultivated.
Old 03-04-2021, 14:03   #266
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussers View Post
Eaten both Marmite and Vegemite over the years. Marmite has a stronger flavour. Vegemite is a bit bland. Like moving down to a Korma from a Vindaloo!
Naah. Its like moving down to cardboard.........
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 14:56   #267
Marine Service Provider

biltong comes in a variety of shades, types of meat, etc .....you can get it, super dried, when it's like eating a rubber tire...or pink in the middle, which is the generally preferred way.
You can buy it in a large strip and slice and dice it yourself....or have the seller slice it for you....you can also get it in an almost powdered form, it can be spicy or mild....

at the end of the day, there is no such thing as bad biltong...it's all good....

marmite is a different animal.....you either love it or hate it...
Old 04-04-2021, 06:59   #268

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Mic, there's no such thing as a "barbie" in SA. (Well, at least if you don't include the dolls my daughter played with when she was 5)
It's a "braai"!

As a maker of "excellent" biltong, you deserve honorary "Saffer" status.
Don't mess that up by mixing up Ausie terms for that what is sacred.....[emoji1787]
Quote:
Afrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:43   #269

Quote:
In my part of the world, there are "cookers" which is short for pig cooker. A pig picking is putting a whole pig, split in half, and cooked for many hours. It is called a pig picking because you stand around picking the cooked meat off the pig because you can't wait for the whole pig to be cooked.

You do not need a cooker either. Cuban friends of mine in South Florida cook whole pigs in a hole dug in the back yard.

BBQ, in it's many different forms, along with Southern Cooking, and the food cultural mish mash from New Orleans, is the US food gift to the world.

We don't eat sheep in the US because they really are not raised here, compared to chicken, cattle, and pigs. There is some eating of goats but that is a very specific market for people who recently emigrated.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:48   #270
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Could one substitute Vegemite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
In my part of the world, there are "cookers" which is short for pig cooker. A pig picking is putting a whole pig, split in half, and cooked for many hours. It is called a pig picking because you stand around picking the cooked meat off the pig because you can't wait for the whole pig to be cooked.

BBQ, in it's many different forms, along with Southern Cooking, and the food cultural mish mash from New Orleans, is the US food gift to the world.

Later,
Dan
Been to a few Tennessee style Hog Roasts in NC...
The Moonshine was great... but not good enough for me to enjoy the meat..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote