Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2021, 21:26   #286

Boat: Buccaneer 16ft
Re: Could one substitute Vegemite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
Just had a fantastic grass fed NZ roast lamb leg for Easter Sunday
A leg of lamb, here in NZ , did you sell the boat, or mortgage the house.
Old fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 00:00   #287

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fella View Post
A leg of lamb, here in NZ, did you sell the boat, or mortgage the house.
None of the above

Just a Lamb Leg from a normal supermarket. And not crap either, but Pure South: https://puresouthshop.com/pages/pure-south

As shown below it was $11.90 kg which is a competitive price compared to other cuts of meat or fish.

Yes that is the discount price, but wise shoppers will find it is regularly on discount at similar prices

(for the international readers, that's the price per kg in NZD)

https://shop.countdown.co.nz/shop/pr...st-leg-bone-in

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:34   #288

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
None of the above

Just a Lamb Leg from a normal supermarket. And not crap either, but Pure South: https://puresouthshop.com/pages/pure-south

As shown below it was $11.90 kg which is a competitive price compared to other cuts of meat or fish.

Yes that is the discount price, but wise shoppers will find it is regularly on discount at similar prices

https://shop.countdown.co.nz/shop/pr...st-leg-bone-in

That was probably their Good Friday special.....
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:04   #289

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
That was probably their Good Friday special.....
Quote:
^^^ regularly, not just for Easter.

I rarely pay full list price for meat or fish (or many other grocery items). That would be foolish.

It's a no brainer to buy items when they are on discount (and/or in season) and make meal plans accordingly.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:56   #290

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I havn't met anyone here that either buys it or knows how to cook it..
Yeah I'm going to blame the Simpsons for making a generation of snowflakes aware of where their food comes from:

Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:44   #291

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Yeah I'm going to blame the Simpsons for making a generation of snowflakes aware of where their food comes from:
It was Babe that did it for me.

The snowflake reference does not apply though. Many of the toughest of hunters have in the past acknowledged their food source has resulted in a loss of life and given thanks before eating.

Only snowflakes turn a blind eye. Own it if you are to consume meat.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:53   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Been to a few Tennessee style Hog Roasts in NC...
The Moonshine was great... but not good enough for me to enjoy the meat..
Wow. They must have really messed up the pig. Were you/they just picking the meat off or did they go to the second stage of pulling off the meat, chopping it and adding the vinegar sauce?

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:10   #293

Quote:
You eat lamb in the US - you import a few hundred million pounds of it each year; over 10X what you import in goat-meat. I think the US, like Canada has seen lamb drop off from the 1980's, but it is now seeing a resurgence in popularity.
Sure, there is lamb in some US markets for parts of the year, but lamb or mutton is not an everyday meat to eat in the US. It usually is a holiday meal, usually for Easter, and not eaten regularly. I like lamb but I have not had it in decades. The last time I can remember eating lamb was well into last century at a place that no longer exists.

Had to go look this up out of curiosity. This link, https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-produc...?chartId=58312, from the USDA( US Department of Agriculture) has a graph going back 100 years. Lamb or mutton is not even on the chart.

From https://www.statista.com/, US per capita consumption is:

1.1 pounds - Lamb
122 pounds - Chicken
50.9 pounds - Pig
58.1 pounds - Beef
16.1 pounds - Fish

We just do not eat Baa Baa in the US.

I would have thought pig consumption would be higher but that may because I am in the US South, especially NC, were pig is eaten quite a bit.

Later,
Dan
Old 05-04-2021, 09:23   #294

Quote:

That price freaked me out at first, until I thought kg and not pounds. Even with the difference in the USD and NZD, that is not a bad price. Having said that, I normally don't buy meat until it is around 4 USD per pound. I don't think I could get lamb at the local market for anywhere close to that price, well, it might be 12 USD per pound.

Later,
Dan
Old 05-04-2021, 10:20   #295
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Could one substitute Vegemite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Wow. They must have really messed up the pig. Were you/they just picking the meat off or did they go to the second stage of pulling off the meat, chopping it and adding the vinegar sauce?

Later,
Dan
Nope... Tennessee Ronnie just stuck the pig in his mobile cooker in the evening and let it slow cook till the following avo when it was opened up and chunks were served with baked beans and coleslaw.. Everyone raved about it for some reason.. to me it was just greasy soggy slabs of meat and fat..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 14:33   #296
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Just came back from my local grocery store...Wynn Dixie...they pride themselves on their meat selections...
Went over the entire meat selection looking for lamb...lamb or mutton of any kind...
But there was none...they even had section, with a big "Lamb" sign on display, but it was filled with pork...I don't think pork qualifies as lamb..but hey.....maybe some people don't know better.....tomorrow, I'll try a local Publix....see if I have any better luck....there is also a local butcher, not too far away, but I'm having my doubts...I've been in there before and don't recall seeing either lamb nor mutton...
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:10   #297
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Afrinus,
This is special....just for you...fresh out of my biltong box...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2928.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	236003   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2929.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	236004  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2930.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	236005  
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:27   #298

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Sure, there is lamb in some US markets for parts of the year, but lamb or mutton is not an everyday meat to eat in the US. It usually is a holiday meal, usually for Easter, and not eaten regularly. I like lamb but I have not had it in decades. The last time I can remember eating lamb was well into last century at a place that no longer exists.

Had to go look this up out of curiosity. This link, https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-produc...?chartId=58312, from the USDA( US Department of Agriculture) has a graph going back 100 years. Lamb or mutton is not even on the chart.

From https://www.statista.com/, US per capita consumption is:

1.1 pounds - Lamb
122 pounds - Chicken
50.9 pounds - Pig
58.1 pounds - Beef
16.1 pounds - Fish

We just do not eat Baa Baa in the US.

I would have thought pig consumption would be higher but that may because I am in the US South, especially NC, were pig is eaten quite a bit.

Later,
Dan
Y'know what they say - there are lies, damn lies and statistics. Just out of the figures you provided Americans eat 122 lbs of chicken yet only have 65 lbs available to them - ain't that a curiosity?

I didn't say lamb was an everyday meal choice for most yanks - but for those of Greek and Middle Eastern descent, it is. And the most American family - the Simpsons obviously are not adverse to eating lambchops on a school night. You're the one that suggested goat was more popular, and that is verifiably not the case.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:49   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Nope... Tennessee Ronnie just stuck the pig in his mobile cooker in the evening and let it slow cook till the following avo when it was opened up and chunks were served with baked beans and coleslaw.. Everyone raved about it for some reason.. to me it was just greasy soggy slabs of meat and fat..
That is a shame. Maybe they like the fatty portions and gave it to you. Some do, I mostly do not. Or they kept the meat that was high on the hog for themselves.

Later,
Dan
Old 07-04-2021, 08:09   #300

Quote:
Y'know what they say - there are lies, damn lies and statistics. Just out of the figures you provided Americans eat 122 lbs of chicken yet only have 65 lbs available to them - ain't that a curiosity?

I didn't say lamb was an everyday meal choice for most yanks - but for those of Greek and Middle Eastern descent, it is. And the most American family - the Simpsons obviously are not adverse to eating lambchops on a school night. You're the one that suggested goat was more popular, and that is verifiably not the case.
Nope, I did not say goat was more popular than mutton/lamb but there are certain areas in the country where people do eat goat but one is not going to see goat for sale in most grocery stores in the US.

Decades ago when I was buying a new truck, another sale was being negotiated. A lawyer, a rich, retired one I assume, had bought some land and was now buying a semi truck. He was going to raise goats, use the truck to haul a trailer load of goats to Philadelphia to sell them. Can't really believe he would make money doing that, but he could likely save a bunch of money on taxes, even if his goat selling enterprise was not profitable.

I have never seen goat meat for sale in a grocery store. I do see lamb from time to time, as I said, around holidays, but I have never see mutton for sale. I am sure there are localities where mutton and goat are in the markets but they are going to be very localized and serving a specific population compared to a large grocery store chain.

And while statistics can be manipulated, the data I provided was from two different sources so they might not have the same data. Nothing nefarious there. The point in those numbers is that the US population overall does not eat much lamb/mutton. We don't. Are there people in the US that eat lamb, mutton or goat? Sure, but it is not a large number anyway you slice it.

Later,
Dan