Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2021, 08:41   #301
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Could one substitute Vegemite?

tried another store in my neck of the woods...this one, a country store, complete with it's own butcher....but no lamb...I asked the butcher " any lamb?"......" nope, we don't do lamb"..
I didn't ask about goat...I don't think I've ever seen it in area stores...
interestingly enough, the country store had some wild pig, something I don't see in grocery stores...but I took a pass on that one..tried it once....thought I was eating an army boot...
You can get whole pig here.....not sure from where....but have been to pig roasts, where it was busy roasting on a spit...it's mostly a country thing...
once in a blue moon, I will see 'gator tail, in a country store....tried it once....tasted like chicken..occasionally, I see "shark" being sold in the seafood section..got some once....deep fried it....it was okay...

living on the coast, seafood is the thing here....shrimp can be had for next to nothing at local seafood markets...$4-7/lb depending on size....I see " specials" from time to time, where they are practically giving it away..
most fish is $5-7/lb...unfilleted...about double that, if filleted...conch....mussels...oysters....etc...now we're talkin'....
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:10   #302
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Could one substitute Vegemite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
tried another store in my neck of the woods...this one, a country store, complete with it's own butcher....but no lamb...I asked the butcher " any lamb?"......" nope, we don't do lamb"..
I didn't ask about goat...I don't think I've ever seen it in area stores...
interestingly enough, the country store had some wild pig, something I don't see in grocery stores...but I took a pass on that one..tried it once....thought I was eating an army boot...
You can get whole pig here.....not sure from where....but have been to pig roasts, where it was busy roasting on a spit...it's mostly a country thing...
once in a blue moon, I will see 'gator tail, in a country store....tried it once....tasted like chicken..occasionally, I see "shark" being sold in the seafood section..got some once....deep fried it....it was okay...

living on the coast, seafood is the thing here....shrimp can be had for next to nothing at local seafood markets...$4-7/lb depending on size....I see " specials" from time to time, where they are practically giving it away..
most fish is $5-7/lb...unfilleted...about double that, if filleted...conch....mussels...oysters....etc...now we're talkin'....
Fresh wild boar is scrummy... Curried, Roasted you name it.
Used to hunt our own when I was a kid.. factory workers would come in and tell my dad which village's crops were being raided and come 3am on a Saturday morning we'd head out on his Harley.
Village always had a hot breakfast waiting when we arrived, a spicy chick pea dish with puri's and fresh carrot halwa to finish and lots of Chai, a milky sweet tea flavored with cardamom.. Yum Yuum..
Then it was of to the jheel and lay up waiting for them to return with the sunrise.. bag a couple and strap them on the bike then head home, hang em, gut them then skin and quarter.
My stomach was much stronger back then, civilization has made me a marshmallow..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 10:13   #303
Marine Service Provider

I've had wild pig, when it was shredded...kinda like pulled pork..and slathered in some or other barbecue sauce....but I didn't really care for it...
Boar hunting is big sport here in Florida...have often been invited to tag along, but have declined...but those that do hunt boar, love to eat it..

Me, I like to fish with rod and reel and spearfish......that's mah gig....fresh fish....but getting a bit old now for the spearfishing part...will still chase after lobsters though...but have lost my taste for them too...simply too much of a good thing.....

I love conch....can't dive for it in Florida right now due to restrictions....but it's imported from Jamaica, Honduras and elsewhere...but back in the day, sadly, did my part to deplete the stock...

In area restaurants, you can order conch fritters...but you'd be lucky to have one piece of conch in a fritter..and a tiny piece at that..I make my conch fritters..nothing less than a handful of conch in each fritter....now we're talkin'
Old 07-04-2021, 14:42   #304
Marine Service Provider

yeehah.....found some lamb today....could not say what cut of meat it was, as it was packaged in plastic. The whole piece was around US $35.....the price per pound was US $6.69/lb...there were three of these packages......nothing else...it didn't look like a leg to my eye....so have no idea what part of lamb it was.....
Old 08-04-2021, 00:07   #305

Boat: 45f5

Quote:
yeehah.....found some lamb today....could not say what cut of meat it was, as it was packaged in plastic. The whole piece was around US $35.....the price per pound was US $6.69/lb...there were three of these packages......nothing else...it didn't look like a leg to my eye....so have no idea what part of lamb it was.....

Got a pic? Have butchered up a few plus goats so may be able to identify it.
Apollo19.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 04:00   #306

Quote:
Afrinus,
This is special....just for you...fresh out of my biltong box...
Mooi man! Now you have made me hungry.
Asmolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 05:58   #307
Marine Service Provider

biltong does not last very long here.....people can't eat just one or two pieces...once they start....they don't stop until the bag is finished...perfect, washed down with some cold beer....or chilled white wine..that batch is already gone....
I have hosted some " biltong parties"......everyone brings 2-3 lbs of meat, we prepare the meat and the spices together and then I'll dry it...a few days later.....it's chow time....

not sure how we've drifted off the marmite topic....but the mods havn't kicked us off yet for thread drift....considering the wide variety of snacks discussed here...

Youtube has many video's covering the making of biltong...seems like everyone has their own spin on it...it's quite easy to make...but not so easy to perfect it.
Old 08-04-2021, 14:22   #308

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

This mod thinks that once the subject of the OP has been dealt with, thread drift is natural, and so long as the content is within the rules of the forum, we do not normally interfere. Where the hijacking occurs on the first or 2nd page, we enforce the anti-hijacking rule. But not if it is normal thread drift. You guys are on comestibles, still, there's an ideological link.

Ann
Old 08-04-2021, 14:39   #309
Marine Service Provider

Got a pic? Have butchered up a few plus goats so may be able to identify it.

I'll go back to the store tomorrow....if they still have it...I'll take a pic and post it here..
Old 08-04-2021, 14:45   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Like/dislike of coriander is apparently genetic.
I'm one of the significant minoirty who find it tastes like soap .
My spouse had the same reaction originally and couldn't understand my obsession with it. However, over the years with me adding it here and there she slowly got to liking it.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 15:10   #311

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
T You guys are on comestibles, still, there's an ideological link.
And it's still salty, spicy food. Vegemite/Marmite and Bitong/Jerky have a close affinity tastewise .
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 16:02   #312
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
......... You guys are on comestibles, still, there's an ideological link.

Ann
...but...
Once again Ann, you have added to my vocabulary / lexicon and my mental concordance.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 16:30   #313

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
...but...
Once again Ann, you have added to my vocabulary / lexicon and my mental concordance.

The most famous use of the word “Comestibles”:

ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 16:46   #314
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
The most famous use of the word “Comestibles”:

So why didn't I recall the use of “Comestibles” way back when I first saw this skit .

Maybe Ann has more presence John C.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 17:20   #315

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
In my part of the world, there are "cookers" which is short for pig cooker. A pig picking is putting a whole pig, split in half, and cooked for many hours. It is called a pig picking because you stand around picking the cooked meat off the pig because you can't wait for the whole pig to be cooked.

You do not need a cooker either. Cuban friends of mine in South Florida cook whole pigs in a hole dug in the back yard.

BBQ, in it's many different forms, along with Southern Cooking, and the food cultural mish mash from New Orleans, is the US food gift to the world.

We don't eat sheep in the US because they really are not raised here, compared to chicken, cattle, and pigs. There is some eating of goats but that is a very specific market for people who recently emigrated.

Later,

Dan

Hmmm raised sheep here in Wisconsin for a very long time. Kids grew up eating lamb