Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2021, 17:23   #316

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: Could one substitute Vegemite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Y'know what they say - there are lies, damn lies and statistics. Just out of the figures you provided Americans eat 122 lbs of chicken yet only have 65 lbs available to them - ain't that a curiosity?

I didn't say lamb was an everyday meal choice for most yanks - but for those of Greek and Middle Eastern descent, it is. And the most American family - the Simpsons obviously are not adverse to eating lambchops on a school night. You're the one that suggested goat was more popular, and that is verifiably not the case.

Raised goats too, make nice brats with a goat
Old 08-04-2021, 17:37   #317

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_SD View Post
My spouse had the same reaction originally and couldn't understand my obsession with it. However, over the years with me adding it here and there she slowly got to liking it.
OK, I'll give it a few more tries in moderation and see if it changes.
Problem is my better half is the same as me and is less adventurous foodwise.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 17:49   #318
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Could one substitute Vegemite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
It only really comes into its own chopped fresh leaves sprinkled on curry.. wonderful aroma.

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 18:19   #319
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Some years back, here in the US of A, I did once order some "lamb chops" at a restaurant as they had it listed on their menu..a fairly high end restaurant to boot...ritzy, one might say...I don't normally frequent these places, but had been given a gift certificate of $100 to this establishment, and thought I would give it a whirl, as in my mind, $100 ought to provide a plateful of food for two people and several drinks, with a little left over for the tip.

My first shock came as the wine menu was presented to me.....buying a bottle of wine was simply out of the question, as that would have eradicated the value of the gift certificate in one blow, so I settled for two glasses for myself and date, selecting the "cheapest"....nay, that's the wrong word....the " least expensive" wine I could find. This was judiciously sipped for the remainder of our stay there, as getting a second glass was just not in the cards.

Intrigued, I noted they listed lamb chops on their menu. This was an item of food I had yet, to this point, seen on a menu in the US and something I sorely missed.

Now, in my my mind, a lamb chop, is actually a mutton chop...ie, about the size of one's hand, so with lust in my eye, and despite the hefty price, I threw caution to the wind and I ordered the lamb chops.

The server brought out a plate with what looked like a matchstick stuck into a piece of meat about the size of a quarter.....there were three such pieces, hanging on for dear life, along the edge of the plate.

Where are the lamb chops I wondered out loud ?
Getting a glower from the waitstaff, he pointed out the three quarter size pieces of meat on my plate.

I stared at those lamb chops pretty dumbfounded. This is what is considered a lamb chop meal ???
The answer, off course, is yes, this is a lamp chop plate.

The rest of the evening was somewhat of a blur to me. I tried to remain, cool, calm and collected so as to give my date the impression I knew what I was doing in these fancy places, but alas, I don't think she was fooled.

So, yes, lamb chops can be found at select restaurants here, but be prepared to pay a kings ransom for pretty much nothing.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 20:35   #320

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

That's a common way for high end restaurants to serve them - 'frenched', ie trimmed in that style, and yes they can end up quite small, especially if it was really a 'lamb' and therefore very young and simply not a very large sized animal in the first place.

A better way to get more meat is the lamb leg, but sliced horizontally, with a small fat cap on one side and only a small bone in the middle (sometimes removed).

In France that would be a tranche de gigot d'agneau (literally, a slice of leg of lamb), but I've seen them called chops and steaks too in other places.

But not all butchers/countries/cultures do it this way though.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 23:31   #321

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Just got back from Woolies in scenic downtown Huonville. Gat a pack of 4 decent sized lamb "leg steaks", a favorite cut with just enough fat to grill well, and for the princely sum of 13 AUD, which is sumpin' less than 10 USD. They will be rubbed with garlic and a bit of oil and grilled on the "BBQ" in the cockpit. Served with pink eye potatoes and some green veg to be determined... yum! Will serve 4, or Ann and I twice.

Jim
Old 08-04-2021, 23:36   #322

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
That's a common way for high end restaurants to serve them - 'frenched', ie trimmed in that style, and yes they can end up quite small, especially if it was really a 'lamb' and therefore very young and simply not a very large sized animal in the first place.

A better way to get more meat is the lamb leg, but sliced horizontally, with a small fat cap on one side and only a small bone in the middle (sometimes removed).

In France that would be a tranche de gigot d'agneau (literally, a slice of leg of lamb), but I've seen them called chops and steaks too in other places.

But not all butchers/countries/cultures do it this way though.

'Sliced horizontaly' suggests the lamb was standing on the leg at the time.....
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 06:32   #323
Marine Service Provider

what floored me first coming to the USA....was "tipping" at restaurants...

In my past, "tipping" was usually of the "keep the change" variety.....ie, if an item cost $25.50....you gave the waitstaff...$26 and he/she could keep the change......all of 0.50c....if you were feeling particularly flush, you'd leave an extra $1 on the plate...that was considered a "good" tip...

Not so in the US....were pretty much 10-20% is the accepted "normal".....many restaurants will relieve you of the troublesome math involved to figure out the "tip", by adding it to the bill....this kinda threw me....whether you ordered the $20 item or the $200 item....the service was the same, but the " tip" is predicated on the "value" of the meal...not the "service".....

Same applies for bartenders....I was astounded at the "tips" left for bartenders in US bars...after a few drinks, "tipping" can reach quite impressive numbers....

Whether the service or food or drinks was worthy of the "tip" seems to be irrelevant these days.....

Fast food restaurant employees don't seem to enjoy this largesse....

Nonetheless, at the time, I was quite intrigued.......there for a while, I though "bartending" could be a lucrative career for me...
Old 09-04-2021, 06:51   #324
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Could one substitute Vegemite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
what floored me first coming to the USA....was "tipping" at restaurants...

In my past, "tipping" was usually of the "keep the change" variety.....ie, if an item cost $25.50....you gave the waitstaff...$26 and he/she could keep the change......all of 0.50c....if you were feeling particularly flush, you'd leave an extra $1 on the plate...that was considered a "good" tip...

Not so in the US....were pretty much 10-20% is the accepted "normal".....many restaurants will relieve you of the troublesome math involved to figure out the "tip", by adding it to the bill....this kinda threw me....whether you ordered the $20 item or the $200 item....the service was the same, but the " tip" is predicated on the "value" of the meal...not the "service".....

Same applies for bartenders....I was astounded at the "tips" left for bartenders in US bars...after a few drinks, "tipping" can reach quite impressive numbers....

Whether the service or food or drinks was worthy of the "tip" seems to be irrelevant these days.....

Fast food restaurant employees don't seem to enjoy this largesse....

Nonetheless, at the time, I was quite intrigued.......there for a while, I though "bartending" could be a lucrative career for me...
Why pay staff wages when you can keep all the profits and get the customers to pay for the T&A service.. or in some cases just A..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 07:59   #325

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
In N America we typically refer to the leaves as cilantro, and just the seeds as coriander - do you dislike both?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 09:22   #326
Marine Service Provider

Apollo 19.5

I don't typically look for lamb these days, but did find these today.......

They are both at $9.99/lb...a bit pricey about double that of beef...

The chops sez it's an Australian product...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2937.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	236215   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2936.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	236216  

Old 09-04-2021, 12:08   #327

Just finished catching up on this thread. Some of the topics have begun to taper off but here's my take.

I tried Vegemite in Oz. Sorry, but I was not impressed. I really tried to find out what all the fuss was about. It reminded me of a time 40 years or so ago when my wife decided that adding brewer's yeast to everything was a good idea. I hereby relinquish any claim I have to any version of it in any form and under any name. I did learn to enjoy a flat white while visiting. I also learned that a coffee maker in the room is not common but the desk clerk was able to find a dusty box containing a "plunger" which we used to make our morning coffees while in Port MacQuarie. After a week I did not have to constantly repeat "drive on the left, drive on the left" every time I got behind the wheel.

I don't claim to be a beer expert or even a beer lover, but the only beer I had in Ireland that I enjoyed at all was from a small local brewery. It was called Five Points. It was only available in a small part of Dublin but I understand they were beginning to expand. I hope they are doing well.

The best fish and chips I ever had came from a small place in Portrush in Northern Ireland. There may be better versions but I've not found it yet. Unfortunately it was within walking distance of my hostel and I gained a couple of pounds.

English meat pies were good, but nothing to write home about. The best I could say were they were tasty, filling, and convenient. Scotch eggs were a disappointment. Perhaps I should have gone to Scotland or maybe I just preferred my own version (more meat).

Lamb and mutton are both available here but not common. Sheep are also raised here but only in small numbers. Oddly enough I saw a small flock last week in northern Florida. Speaking of Florida, cooking a whole pig in a pit on a bed of coals is a thing. It's worth making the acquaintance of those who know how to do it right. I should not say this, but most alligator tail is just for tourist consumption. It's tough and almost inedible. The "good stuff" is kept and consumed by the person who caught the gator.

Speaking of tourists, I learned in Italy to never go to a restaurant that has pictures on the menu. Probably a good idea anywhere. Picture menus are expensive so the items never change. The best food is whatever is local and in season. The exception is spaghetti with octopus and mussels in the sauce. Like Vegemite I really tried to develop a taste for it but it was a losing battle.

Boatie, I think you were served inferior BBQ. Some people do like it fatty, but the variety is almost endless. If the opportunity presents, give it another try. I think you will find a version you would like.
Be Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:04   #328

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:

They are both at $9.99/lb...a bit pricey about double that of beef...

The chops sez it's an Australian product...
Actually the leg says $7.24/#. Curiously the chop clearly says Aussie lamb, but also "Product of USA" on the tag.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:00   #329
Marine Service Provider

well, you have better eyes than me.....

I think I'm gonna try the "chops"....see if they are any good...put 'em on the grill.....er...barbie....er...braai...

my grill is gas fired....whoops....no wood smoke flavor...or otherwise..., but I'll do the best I can...
Old 10-04-2021, 13:52   #330

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
well, you have better eyes than me.....

I think I'm gonna try the "chops"....see if they are any good...put 'em on the grill.....er...barbie....er...braai...

my grill is gas fired....whoops....no wood smoke flavor...or otherwise..., but I'll do the best I can...

I'd definitely NOT recommending it, but there is this sort of thing:
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote