Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2011, 17:52   #61

Boat: Able 50
Re: Cruising Canada to Mexico - Will US Allow Us to Keep Canned Beef Aboard ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
Canned Beef?? Seriously?? You must mean Spam..no thats pork. I'm sorry but I never even heard of canned beef. Thats why I like CF. You learn something every time you log on.
So are their different cuts of canned beef available ie filet mignon vs ground vs t-bone? Do you BBQ it or what?
There was a thread about canned beef a few months back. Costco make a really good one under their home label called " Kirkland ". It comes in big chunks with a sauce and tastes like a beef casserole.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 17:55   #62

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
Fray Bentos corned beef, product of Argentina aka bully beef.
Ah yes, the staple of the British Tommy in two world wars.
Old 31-07-2011, 19:12   #63

What about leaving Canada with no meat products? Enter USA at Port Angeles and buy everything there then you are good all the way to San Diego.

There is no customs at Port Townsend but the shopping there might be better.
Old 31-07-2011, 19:22   #64

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
what newt sed. i do not see how tinned foods would make a difference.. but then i am not customs....how is bad stuff gonna jump out of a can and into the main stream of agricultural mayhem. i can see for fresh, but not for tinned .... lets find a common sense ground here.
You are asking the impossible...the US govt. to find a "common sense ground". Silly Zee. You lived in CALIFORNIA...you know this to be impossible.
DiverChick71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 19:25   #65

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
What about leaving Canada with no meat products? Enter USA at Port Angeles and buy everything there then you are good all the way to San Diego.

There is no customs at Port Townsend but the shopping there might be better.
Given the USD/CD rate right now, would this be a good option? Seems like a good suggestion. Really..it's just ridiculous. The US govt. slays me, with their regulations. I would never, in my wildest dreams, have guessed that canned meats would be an issue. Perhaps now I'll only provision in Canada and Mexico...just on principal. Or better yet....CUBA! (it's a joke)
DiverChick71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 20:04   #66

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

If I were cruising or bringing a delivery down from Canada, I would provision all perishables, including beef, chicken and alcohol in Port Angeles AFTER I had checked into the US from Canada.
The hassle you avoid is worth it to say nothing of the exchange rate IMHO. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:47   #67

Boat: Catalina 30

It is not just the U.S. quarantines, the concern about diseases is world wide. Japan has a beef quarantine for U.S. beef, NY Post article (I enjoy using multiple sources for fun)
Old 01-08-2011, 04:19   #68

That was not canned beef, that was chilled carcases cut into parts. Different ball game.

By the way watch out for irradiated food coming out of Japan and that aint no joke. Sushi wrappers in particular.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:01   #69
cruiser

My idea of provisioning includes cooking up some nice reheatable meals for those days we don't want to cook, I was hoping to do this in our house and have nice homemade lasagne and stew rather than the pale comparison I can find in Costco. If we go to the states to provision I wont have that option. With canned beef I can make a stew in 1/2 hour and canned pickled beef in a sandwich is pretty good too. I get that the greedy buggers fed cow brains to cows and got us into this mess, thats agribuisness. I have a plan that will comply with regulations and not spread deadly diseases.
cheers
seabear
AquaticUrsidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:24   #70

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.

Quote:
I get that the greedy buggers fed cow brains to cows and got us into this mess, thats agribuisness.
In a nutshell, yes pretty much. The prions that cause BSE are concentrated in offal, brain and spinal cord, but in lesser amounts in other parts as well. The thought is that in Britain, the initial infection was the result of feeding cattle protein feed made from left over sheep parts which had unwittingly been processed from sheep infected with scrapie. This led to a cross over and spread the infection to the human food source as the problem widened. The infection rate of BSE was only brought under control in Britain by culling some 4 million beef and milk cattle--a near disastrous hit to British economy and food supply chain.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:23   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

It seems this prion discussion has aquired a life of its own. As is usual with these threads, I have learned more than I could possibly want about green beef, sheep parts and feeding herbivores ground up brains. What can I take home from all this?
eat fresh plants.
eat meat sparingly, esp wild meats (see Astrid's list)
Want protein ? Learn to fish or enjoy tufu.
Portobello mushrooms anyone ?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:46   #72

Sorry Newt. Yes this discussion does seem to have wandered far afield, much of it my fault.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:52   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Don't apologize. I forgot you can't see my smiling face. I think all this discussion must hit close to home for you vets. I am going for a big salad for lunch. I'm buying for anyone that wants to come
and I apologize for my contribution to the thread drift ....
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:31   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

I've tried to catch a mad cow. They're very hard to catch. It's not catching a mad cow that scares me, it's when the light comes on in their eye and they realise they're bigger then me. Then the the mad cow is trying to catch me and that fence seems a long way away.

Kidding aside, agribusiness has managed to endanger the food supply in general. Feeding cattle a corn diet while keeping them in feed lots has produced a virulent e-coli that seems to have invaded much more then the hamburger. I knew the name of the cow I was eating when I was growing up, it's a little different then what's offered most places.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 19:43   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabear View Post
Probably discussed to death, but I cannot unlock the search here. I hoped to transport canned beef on our journey from Canada to Mexico, but looks like US does not permit canned beef or any other sort. Experience?
Seabear
Why don't you cruise over to Friday Harbor Wa. or one of the other San Juan Washington Islands, or the mainland, pickup the provisions that you'll need and cruise on. All of the provisions will be from the US so you won't have to worry about customs. The loonie and the dollar are worth about the same right now so you won't be spending more buying in the US vrs. Canada.
GetAway2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, cruising, canada, mexico